Story Coming Of Age - A Bangladesh Story [ICC 2006]

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
30 Man Performance Squad Announced

Javed Omar and Tamim Iqbal seem to be competing for Bangladesh's opening slot after both were named in the 30-man Bangladesh Performance Squad for the 2006 season. The Bangladeshi selectors went through a list of 53 potential candidates and narrowed it down to 30. ?It was very tough.? said Chief selector Faruque Ahmed ?In the end we had to cut ties with a few of our past international players.? A few stand out players were not included in the performance squad with Enamul Haque being a surprise omission. ?We were surprised he (Enamul Haque) didn?t make the squad as well, I guess that shows the strength of our spinners? I guess that could apply to all the areas of our squad.? Other notable omissions include opening batsmen Al Sahariar & Nafees Iqbal, all rounders Alok Kapali & Khaled Mahmud and fast bowlers Shahadat Hossain & Hasibul Hossain.

There were no major inclusions in the 30-man squad but faith was shown in a few younger players with 5 players 18 and under. ?I feel it is important that these young boys know that they will play a major part of our push to become a top tier cricketing nation, with our under 19?s team being so successful I feel the time for change is now? added Ahmed which gives a positive impression to all the loyal Bangladeshi fans. Bangladeshi cricket coach Dav Whatmore said ?The naming of this squad does not prevent us from picking outside of it, this is just named to show who is close to playing for their country and who isn?t there yet. The squad members will be prepared better for international competition and they will be watched closer by all involved?. Former national cricketer Athar Ali, a member of BCB's four-member selection panel added ?We really hope the players outside the squad work hard to prove us wrong, if they do so they will be rewarded?.

The wicket-keeper slot is also a big talking point with the aging Khaled Mashud competing with the 17 year old Mushfiqur Rahim. ?Khaled is a great gloveman we really wish for him to take Mushfiqur under his wing? said BCB president Ali Asghar ?He will be one for the future with his tight glovework and more than handy batting? he added.

Bangladesh are set to take on Australia in a highly anticipated series ?Last time we played the Australians we were a bit star struck, but not this time? said Bangladeshi Captain Habibul Bashar. The First Test starts on the 9th of April.

There will be an interview with Bangladeshi Coach Dav Whatmore and Bangladeshi Captain Habibul Bashar later on and we would like our readers to send in their questions to us.

Bangladesh 30 Man Performance Squad
Habibul Bashar (c), Abdur Razzak, Aftab Ahmed, Ahsanullah Hasan, Arafat Sunny, Ashiqur Rahman, Elias Sunny, Farhad Hossain, Farhad Reza, Gazi Salahuddin, Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud, Mashrafe Mortaza, Mohammed Ashraful, Mohammed Rafique, Mohammed Shahzada, Mushfiqur Rahim, Nadif Chowdhury, Naeem Islam, Prosenjit Joy, Rajin Saleh, Saghir Hossain, Saqibul Hasan, Shafaq Al-zabir, Shahriar Nafees, Suhrawadi Shuvo, Syed Rasel, Tamim Iqbal, Tushar Imran, Wascoroni Ahmed

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Regarding the Wicket keeper issue, i wud say, give that 17 year boy few chances first... And alternate Mashud until Rahim set to his role.

Good luck with this story :cheers. Nice start too!

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great start with a nice few paragraphs of info on the selection. I agree with Suren to put in the 17 year old but I don't think Javed Omar should be selected in this squad!

Good start :clap

etho11

International Cricketer
Really good start mate can't wait for this to progress.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Interview with Dav Whatmore and Habibul Bashar

Interviewer: Good afternoon gentlemen, thank you for agreeing to talk with me this afternoon.

Whatmore: No problem.

Interviewer: So how do you feel about the 30 man performance squad, are you happy about who was chosen in the end?

Whatmore: I feel it was very important to build for the future and I feel we have achieved that with the players we have picked.

Bashar: It was quite scary to see some of the older players go it made me realise that I?m nearing the end of my spell.

Interviewer: You still haven?t named you vice-captain yet, any insight to who it might be?

Whatmore: We haven?t made a final decision as of yet but I feel it will be one of the younger members of the team.

Bashar: We have a list of candidates but nothing is finalised yet?

Interviewer: Any names?

Whatmore: Hahaha you don?t give up do you.

Interviewer: I?ll take that as a no. So which of the members from the under 19?s squad have impressed you the most?

Bashar: Definitely Tamim Iqbal, I?ve been working with him a lot in the nets and he has a tremendous amount of talent.

Whatmore: I have to agree but that isn?t taking anything away from the other four, especially Mushfiqur Rahim.

Interviewer: Is he going to replace Khaled Mashud with the gloves?

Whatmore: That is a tough one but the selectors before the first test will decide it, not us.

Interviewer: Javed Omar?s selection in the squad has been criticized by the fans, any comments?

Bashar: We are not at a stage where we can go with full aggression especially in Tests so we need someone who is capable of staying in for a long period of time.

Whatmore: Back to Tamim, he is really going to battle for a starting spot with Javed but he is not a proven performer Javed is.

Interviewer: Thanks for chatting to us and taking time out of you busy schedule good luck for the upcoming test.

Bashar: Thank you.

Whatmore: Thanks.

Interviewer: After the first test we will interview a player of your choice we will give you the names to vote as soon as the starting XI is named.

Last edited:

kookaburra69

International Coach
Nice Interveiw mate,i voted for Mohammed Ashraful to be vice Captain.

Users who are viewing this thread