Computer's Dead...

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Hey I really need some help from someone here I have tried everything else so let me explain to you lot....

Basically I was on my dads CPU last night and all and when I woke up this morning it had some windows sort of blue screen saying somthing but it changed and when I went to log in it would log then just restart. This has been happening all morning so I tried to do a PC Recovery and that didnt work either what do I do?

Now when I try to start it, it says 'NTLDR Is Missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete To Restart'

When I do press that it restarts and the same message comes up...

Last edited:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Well how do you fix it?

I mean my one doesnt even go to the log in screen it comes up with the missing NDLRE thingy, and when I try PC Recovery it gets to like 8% then blue screen comes saying windows has detected a problem. It also says press F8 to go to safe mode but theres no option for F8 when the computer is starting up....?

I urgently need help thanks.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Will give that a go but I dont get how I mean all of a sudden it has just been ruined overnight...

Btw I went to free download so which one am I ment to be downloading...

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
NTDLR is missing is the error message you get when you are trying to boot from a non-bootable disk. So firstly make sure you arent trying to boot from a floppy, CD or memory stick or something silly.

If not (I take it you are using XP) then insert the XP CD and boot from it. Select 'R' to repair then '1'. You will then need to enter your admin password and username. Then type the following (assuming your CD drive is drive D and your hard drive is drive C)

Copy d:\i386\ntdlr c:\
Copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

It is also possible that your harddrive boot sector is corrupt so you could try repairing it using the recovery console by typing

fixboot

or fixmbr

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I don't have an XP cd I have some system recovery cd when you put it in and re-boot it asks about the options so I press 'R' to repair it and it just goes onto some PC Recovery screen and then says somthing about C//Folders missing from CD which cant be because we put the same computer back to factory settings about 3 months ago with the same CD?

Btw, Kev how do I do ths fixboot thing?

Any help would be welcome...

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I've never used recovery cd's, I guess that's something supplied by your system builder, I've only ever used OEM install cd's. Basically the recovery console looks like dos, boot to it and type fixboot.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
if you can get an xp cd (borrow it from some friend if you cannot buy it right now), get boot your computer with that cd, go to the recovery console(by pressing 'R'). now it will show you the installed windows in each partition... select the required, and then it will ask for the administrator password. enter the password.
it will then show you a dos like screen...

type chkdsk /f
it will check your disk for errors and automatically fix them...
then type fixboot (this might not work, but dont worry chkdsk /f is self sufficient)

type exit...

i am assuming you have not installed or tried to instal windows vista (because vista rewrites the boot sector of the disk, and in that case, XP may be unusable...)

i hope this helps...

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Vista does indeed write the boot sector, and hence the normal boot.ini file is ignored. It only comes to action once you select earlier operating system in the vista boot menu.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Is it not an option when you chose repair from your recovery cd?

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Well there was an advance option the first time I did it but now there isnt :(

Abhas

Retired Administrator
have you tried starting the computer in safe mode?
switch on your comp... after the initial bios screen, (and before the windows logo comes up), press F8 ( u might have to press it a no. of times).
an advance booting options screen will come.. select safe mode and press enter. See if the computer boots up...
if it shows the error again, u may try 'Last Known Good Configuration', also to be found on the advance booting options screen...

Users who are viewing this thread