CONCACAF 2014 World Cup qualifiers

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, a few days ago we struggled to a 1 - 0 win over Saudi Arabia, and we're versing UAE overnight which we really need to win as well. After that we don't have any more matches scheduled before the playoff atm, so hopefully we can get at least one more in like October.

Well now that Mexico have lost 2-0 to USA & Panama clinched a late draw in Honduras, i think the likelihood of MEX missing their first W-Cup for almost two decades is a serious possibility. They now are out of play-off spot.

That October 11th Mexico vs Panama clash looks super massive now, result in that game will have a huge bearing on who plays NZ in November.

Last edited by a moderator:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Mexico would probably rout us, while since Panama have never been to the WC before I'd like to think that we'd almost be favourites against them. Mexico have only lost two of their 78 WC qualifying games at the ground that they've playing at though, but then Panama are at home in the final round while Mexico have to travel to Costa Rica.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Both results go against us in our bid to not have to verse Mexico in the playoff. :(

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

Indeed man - Raul Jimenez bicycle kick as one English premier league commentator apty said during some game last season was "AN ABSOLUTE SHOW STOPPER!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

War

Chairman of Selectors
United States (and Panama), you make me mad, wtf. :mad

Ye ha damn, USA comeback vs Panama messed you guys up.

I noticed in a friendly versus Trinidad, NZ adopted a 5-4-1 set-up. Given Mexico's strikers inability to score, its not improbable that with such a set-up you could frustrate them and sneak on goal on the counter.

Will be an interesting play-off for sure.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Ye ha damn, USA comeback vs Panama messed you guys up.

I noticed in a friendly versus Trinidad, NZ adopted a 5-4-1 set-up. Given Mexico's strikers inability to score, its not improbable that with such a set-up you could frustrate them and sneak on goal on the counter.

Will be an interesting play-off for sure.

Yeah, it's pretty much a 3-4-3 which is Herbert's favourite formation and the one that we used last campaign. Something along the lines of:

----------GK----------
-----CB--CB--CB------
-DMR-------------DML-
-------CM---CM-------
---AMR---------AMC---
----------CF----------

War

Chairman of Selectors
Victor Manuel Vucetich victim of Mexico's incompetent federation - News | FOX Sports on MSN

----------

Yeah, it's pretty much a 3-4-3 which is Herbert's favourite formation and the one that we used last campaign. Something along the lines of:

----------GK----------
-----CB--CB--CB------
-DMR-------------DML-
-------CM---CM-------
---AMR---------AMC---
----------CF----------

How good you reckon your championship striker Chris Wood is? I ask because in such a formation in which he is going to be the lone striker - i would think he needs to be a quick player able to fully capitalize on the few chances you guys might get on the break.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
How good you reckon your championship striker Chris Wood is? I ask because in such a formation in which he is going to be the lone striker - i would think he needs to be a quick player able to fully capitalize on the few chances you guys might get on the break.

I think he'll play as a target man for long balls/set pieces, and then the likes of Barbarouses/Rojas/Smeltz will play more of that counter attacking role if we get some opportunities on the break. There will effectively be three strikers on there, it's just that two of them will be dropping back to cover the midfield, as the wings drop back to give five defenders on defense.

Here's our likely starting XI. Quite defensive orientated, but if we can only lose by one over there then we can come home and bring the likes of Rojas into the mix. We've just struggled to score goals though, so if we lose by anymore than one then it's probably all over.

AWTorridArenaOct13.jpg

Soccer: Back to the future for seasoned six - Soccer - NZ Herald News

Users who are viewing this thread