Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Arctic_Wolf

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
I think fielding needs to improve with some forward dives and tapping it back, boundary catches and throwing it up in the air and catching it or throwing it to your teammate.
running Diving catches in the outfield
Fielders need to be quicker
Keeper needs to have quicker response to edges or stumpings
There should be slow pitches in the game too and there should more ones, two's and threes.
Need to bring slog sweep back and improve late cut.
Need to make slower Ball or slow deliveries actually slow pace and fast pace deliveries challenging.
Maybe hit a crack and hit the gloves or something.
Add button to duck cause I can't duck under a bouncer.

You can duck a short ball, always could ;). It's left stick button with pro controls or right stick button with standard/arcade controls. (Xbox, obviously convert accordingly for your platform if different.). You can choose from 2 or 3 different options in the settings if you use pro controls too.

Yes to nearly all of this for me. The fielding slide that seems to be the only way to currently stop the ball always drags legs over the boundary giving away fours, so a forward dive with tap back inevitably has to come in sooner or later (make that sooner). Also fielders fielding just inside the rope and taking a big step back (giving away four) to throw really wouldn't do that, they'd skip a stride forward and throw it in. These things cost runs which affect close outcomes in a large number of games.

Keepers and bowling end fielders are very slow to react. We've all seen the general lightning quick reactions of a lot of keepers when they receive a ball back in, in real life if a chance is on. the current wind-up of a backswing and then forward into the bails is ridiculous. Surely the developers can't think that is representative of reality? Actually @MattW - what are the controls for making the bowlers end break the bails, because I can make the wicketkeeper do it, but not the bowlers end?

As for the fielders speed, it was increased a few patches ago, but has slowed down again recently and you can visibly see a jogging style of running as fielders amble after the ball like it's going to be an inevitable boundary. I've said before, they should speed up/accelerate if anything. Replay in your mind real life fielders in a big match and those last two-three strides where they think they've got a chance of stopping a boundary. They're generally flying at the ball full sprint and it's exciting.

Another thing on fielding. Lately I've seen fielders (on semi-auto), running along the boundary line and getting caught for a few strides on the rope!!! Still running, but caught on the rope and of course missing the fielding opportunity.

Also, what's happening with the catching game in the outfield? I'm seeing AI teams, right on the boundary, tapping the ball back in and it's great! How do we do it? I thought maybe we'd be able to choose TRIANGLE (PS systems) and it'd tap it down to the ground, but no. Only the X catch option and the inevitable stepping on the rope!

Finally on catching, they could seem to make some sort've game option based on the catchers skill, where you have to time the button press for a certain range of distance from the fielder.? Or a meter that goes from red-orange-yellow-green-yellow-orange red? Anything that makes a quick game of skill. It is a skill isn't it? Currently it's press X in the middle and 100% guaranteed catch. Not that I'd like random drops either as in C'19.

I do get it. Fielding is not as exciting as batting and bowling and is lower priority. Understood, but if they can make the least interesting facet of the game better, it'll bring the overall package up significantly.

Ordinarily a catch wouldn't be guaranteed at all. Timing, center positioning of the catch reticle (if near the edges it usually increases the risk of a drop) & the various player skill & catching ratings would also affect an outcome. Unfortunately, however, about 3 patches ago now catching was much more varied & if anything it was the other way with too many drops, but the AI ended up bugged & it became unintentionally like the old Ashes Cricket 17 catch all system & the AI simply stopped dropping anything. It also made the pro catch system too easy as well. (It was as if the game just wasn't seeing individual catching stats/skills anymore & everyone was stuck on max skill or the random number generator wasn't active either so nothing was being dropped.)

There was a slight improvement to this in the last patch where it's not a 100% catch all bug but it's far from perfect & the AI still catches too many chances based on their skills & it's still too easy as a human with drops being rare even if messing up with the catch reticle etc.

Hester

County Cricketer
AI bowlers catching balls is just ridiculous now. Seeing them teleport dive 15 feet to catch a ball 2 inches off the ground, left handed, is complete horse manure. Just remove c&b from the game until it's fixed for the love of all things holy. Every time the AI gets a c&b I quit the game and reload. Cheats will not prosper!

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Well, I just made about 298 in maybe 70 overs of a Test. Everything was a lot more real. This is on base Hard with a few minor tweaks. I understand the initial shot power concerns but once you’ve played a few overs and a half decent batsman is in then it’s fine but I may up it for white ball cricket. Can see myself getting frustrated in T10s!

Opposition are about 60-0 after 17 overs or so at end of day one. I can see that it’s going to be a long innings! Teach me right for playing on standard pitch, with bounce 45 good length is well over the stumps. Going to revert to 40 and dry/soft/dusty pitches when in Asia. Ripped through them with pacers (Edges galore) in last ODI. Fair enough if just decent opening stand and hopefully I can fight back. It’s meant to be Hard but frustrating when you crave those wickets!

I had to apply myself with the bat so if them batting well makes batting better/application even more important, putting pressure on and takes match deep then I’m happy if it helps game be competitive. Hopefully can have some thrilling/dramatic finishes. I scored 298 in 70 rather than 450. I earned it more, it was satisfying. Interested to see where this match takes me. Hopefully taking wickets feels rewarding too but Test bowling remains tough for me!

Arctic_Wolf

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
AI bowlers catching balls is just ridiculous now. Seeing them teleport dive 15 feet to catch a ball 2 inches off the ground, left handed, is complete horse manure. Just remove c&b from the game until it's fixed for the love of all things holy. Every time the AI gets a c&b I quit the game and reload. Cheats will not prosper!

Groan, sounds ominous :(.

They had actually made some improvement with that issue over the last 2 or 3 patches but they've obviously re-triggered the problem in this last patch again.

(I just haven't bothered with C22 since last Weds, too many headaches & broken shots in a cricket game really do chap my arse ;), (especially when left for weeks). They're ultimately game breaking & while there is some enjoyment to be had it becomes boring so quickly once we're unable to use the full range of shot selection & it removes a lot of skill if certain shots just aren't available due to glitches too ;).)

2 months in & still no fix for the broken shots in a game that leans more heavily to the batting side of things than any other aspect in cricket. Absolutely mind boggling. (At least we can still create a pretty rope though so it can't all be bad, sigh ;).)

Still no real fix for this utterly messed up academy too & if BA are not careful they'll also drive away many of the top guys that produce the amazing teams, kits, bats, logos, umpires, play faces, etc., for good as everybody struggles to download their work or for many they still can't download them period. That academy thrives on our ability to download real teams, kits, etc., remove the absolute best so there's nothing left but bits & pieces or just the BA default academy & interest in the game soon takes another corresponding nose dive & then what?

Hester

County Cricketer
Groan, sounds ominous :(.

They had actually made some improvement with that issue over the last 2 or 3 patches but they've obviously re-triggered the problem in this last patch again.

(I just haven't bothered with C22 since last Weds, too many headaches & broken shots in a cricket game really do chap my arse ;), (especially when left for weeks). They're ultimately game breaking & while there is some enjoyment to be had it becomes boring so quickly once we're unable to use the full range of shot selection & it removes a lot of skill if certain shots just aren't available due to glitches too ;).)

2 months in & still no fix for the broken shots in a game that leans more heavily to the batting side of things than any other aspect in cricket. Absolutely mind boggling. (At least we can still create a pretty rope though so it can't all be bad, sigh ;).)

Still no real fix for this utterly messed up academy too & if BA are not careful they'll also drive away many of the top guys that produce the amazing teams, kits, bats, logos, umpires, play faces, etc., for good as everybody struggles to download their work or for many they still can't download them period. That academy thrives on our ability to download real teams, kits, etc., remove the absolute best so there's nothing left but bits & pieces or just the BA default academy & interest in the game soon takes another corresponding nose dive & then what?

Well, I just made about 298 in maybe 70 overs of a Test. Everything was a lot more real. This is on base Hard with a few minor tweaks. I understand the initial shot power concerns but once you’ve played a few overs and a half decent batsman is in then it’s fine but I may up it for white ball cricket. Can see myself getting frustrated in T10s!

Opposition are about 60-0 after 17 overs or so at end of day one. I can see that it’s going to be a long innings! Teach me right for playing on standard pitch, with bounce 45 good length is well over the stumps. Going to revert to 40 and dry/soft/dusty pitches when in Asia. Ripped through them with pacers (Edges galore) in last ODI. Fair enough if just decent opening stand and hopefully I can fight back. It’s meant to be Hard but frustrating when you crave those wickets!

I had to apply myself with the bat so if them batting well makes batting better/application even more important, putting pressure on and takes match deep then I’m happy if it helps game be competitive. Hopefully can have some thrilling/dramatic finishes. I scored 298 in 70 rather than 450. I earned it more, it was satisfying. Interested to see where this match takes me. Hopefully taking wickets feels rewarding too but Test bowling remains tough for me!
I predict the AI will have a mini collapse and the tail enders will save the day. They'll bat for 120 overs.

dudsyyy

School Cricketer
I've gone back to playing career. And maybe it's because my player and the opponents are low skilled but matches are much better than they are when you play an international.

I bowled a maiden in an ODI in career and even had some overs of just one or two. I went back to international T20 and AI is just hitting it's scripted 12 per over.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
I predict the AI will have a mini collapse and the tail enders will save the day. They'll bat for 120 overs.

I’m not going to pretend otherwise, 120 overs has generally been the norm but I’ve managed to avoid extreme lower order batting contributions (Famous last words!) even without ridding those players of any batting talent. There’s been the odd decent contribution from eight or nine but it’s been perfectly reasonable over six/seven Tests.

Roooooot

Club Cricketer
I’m not going to pretend otherwise, 120 overs has generally been the norm but I’ve managed to avoid extreme lower order batting contributions (Famous last words!) even without ridding those players of any batting talent. There’s been the odd decent contribution from eight or nine but it’s been perfectly reasonable over six/seven Tests.
I had a 130 run first innings lead over Australia after scoring over 400. They then scored over 600 in their second innings with the lower order batsmen scoring most of the runs. The last pair had a stand of 70 odd... This is a very weird representation of Test cricket...

Rowdoss

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I totally respect your opinion but I did the same and found DB17 light years ahead in terms of gameplay, AI field settings and realistic run rates. The DB17 animations actually look like people playing cricket with realistic AI shot choices and smooth behaviour. C22 has some very ugly batting animations
You know what…… you’re right.
I spent another couple of hours with DBc17 today
And it really did have the batting and animations down pat.
The smoothness of animations like you said, and the animations allowing you to hit almost literally 360 degrees as a batsman makes 19 and now 22 look archaic in comparison.
Even bowler runups look better. In 22 they look like they’re on a treadmill.

I’m having fun with 22 and can see light at the end of the tunnel, but we should be in a much, much better place.
I’m loathe to descend into hyperbole but the series has gone backwards overall, I think I have to concede that, for those of us wanting a simulation style game. All the extra modes and additions and bells and whistles mean nothing if you can’t get batting, bowling, fielding working near to perfect.

Id say in certain areas 22 is behind DBC17, when you add to that the MOUNTAIN of creation tool stuff and historical stuff, stat stuff, stadium stuff that’s been stripped from the game…. Well, pretty visuals, cut scenes and sponsors in career And a handful of licenses can’t always make up for the things that have been lost and/or stripped. It’s a bit depressing as I really have been enjoying parts of ‘22.

Ross needs to buy a few boxes of beer, order some pizza and have the whole team play the games in order from 14 to 22 taking notes, of what they did well, how they did it, where it went wrong or just plain disappeared and THEN get to work on tweaking this thing. There’s still a good game in ‘22 somewhere

Last edited:

Rowdoss

Club Captain
Has anyone else noticed the slips and keeper standing much closer to the batsman. I’ve been playing career and a custom tour tonight. And it’s very noticeable. Did it start last Wednesday after the patch and I’ve not noticed it? The little bowler cut scenes after nearly every ball have surely suddenly increased as well?

caprikaps

Club Captain
Has anyone else noticed the slips and keeper standing much closer to the batsman. I’ve been playing career and a custom tour tonight. And it’s very noticeable. Did it start last Wednesday after the patch and I’ve not noticed it? The little bowler cut scenes after nearly every ball have surely suddenly increased as well?
Keepers are statues atm and of no use. They don’t believe in catching/grabbing the balls and have delegated their work to the guy at first slip. Smart ass.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Keepers are statues atm and of no use. They don’t believe in catching/grabbing the balls and have delegated their work to the guy at first slip. Smart ass.
I think we should call it the Kamram Akmal bug?

midhun333

County Cricketer
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Any tips for checking bowler’s crease approach while using fixed close camera for bowling?

Roooooot

Club Cricketer
You know what…… you’re right.
I spent another couple of hours with DBc17 today
And it really did have the batting and animations down pat.
The smoothness of animations like you said, and the animations allowing you to hit almost literally 360 degrees as a batsman makes 19 and now 22 look archaic in comparison.
Even bowler runups look better. In 22 they look like they’re on a treadmill.

I’m having fun with 22 and can see light at the end of the tunnel, but we should be in a much, much better place.
I’m loathe to descend into hyperbole but the series has gone backwards overall, I think I have to concede that, for those of us wanting a simulation style game. All the extra modes and additions and bells and whistles mean nothing if you can’t get batting, bowling, fielding working near to perfect.

Id say in certain areas 22 is behind DBC17, when you add to that the MOUNTAIN of creation tool stuff and historical stuff, stat stuff, stadium stuff that’s been stripped from the game…. Well, pretty visuals, cut scenes and sponsors in career And a handful of licenses can’t always make up for the things that have been lost and/or stripped. It’s a bit depressing as I really have been enjoying parts of ‘22.

Ross needs to buy a few boxes of beer, order some pizza and have the whole team play the games in order from 14 to 22 taking notes, of what they did well, how they did it, where it went wrong or just plain disappeared and THEN get to work on tweaking this thing. There’s still a good game in ‘22 somewhere
Yes it would be great if Ross and the team would sit down and objectively evaluate where they went wrong. He is very defensive in public, but he's obviously also very smart and must know customers are walking away.

I'm glad you enjoyed DB 17 - I'd seriously recommend it to anyone here who values challenging, real life gameplay in cricket sims and is frustrated with C22.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I play mainly career mode and that as a leg spinner allrounder...and the wicket keeper, in that context, is useless unless you make them stand back rather than up to the stumps. If they are at the stumps they stop nothing and the ball will travel through them so they don't even block well. If you make them stand back, they can actually catch the ball. Since stumping has been removed from the game, in this iteration, there is no point in the wicket keeper being close to the stumps anyway for spin bowling. Still it feels like a step backwards from previous iterations. I think about 82% of dismissals are now bat-pad to short square leg or caught off a bounce into the boot.
I have had some good matches in career mode...and am grateful that BA are looking to enhance this...but overall it is a mess. The enhancements in this version are not properly implemented which degrades the whole experience. Some of it is just crazy stuff that shouldn't have made it to a release build (press conferences, training, fatigue management, coaches following you from club to club and saying random stuff, umpires being the same at every level and in every region, sponsorship, player of the match cheques, etc.). They could be part of a career mode...but there is no coherent design or proper implementation. It feels like the output from an 8 hour hackathon rather than anything better...or there is absolutely no QA in the testing process. The fact that career mode also inherits the errors in the main game (the overthrow issues, fielding, edge-o (or whatever it is that they call snicko), playing with sliders etc.), adds to the frustration. I do feel that we are close to a decent game...but it seems like basic issues remain unadressed from earlier iterations, which undermines all of BA's good intent.

Users who are viewing this thread