Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I Finally finished my SA Vs Ban Test. SA (me) won by 146 runs on the 5th day. A disappointing aspect was that Ban were in with a chance if it weren't for 4 runouts! Any slider fix that improves this? My spinners got no wickets on a dry day 5 pitch - no idea what to make of that
Quit and reload is probably your best friend on this one. Your game will autosave at the start of each over I believe, so as soon as it happens and feels unrealistic, dashboard your game, quit it, reload it and go again.

I think this is also an acceptable course of action to user spinners being OP as well, but each to their own.

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Quit and reload is probably your best friend on this one. Your game will autosave at the start of each over I believe, so as soon as it happens and feels unrealistic, dashboard your game, quit it, reload it and go again.

I think this is also an acceptable course of action to user spinners being OP as well, but each to their own.
I really struggled with my spin bowlers to get green inputs on hardest bowling - most likely why they got no wickets. most times green input was not even showing as a rotated LS1 for spin if I bowled off-break deliveries

wav

School Cricketer
Hello. I've been playing since early February and making regular notes for most of that time. I've come up with a lot of ideas and suggestions for the team at BA, many of which have been mentioned before. I've put the stuff I regard as most in need of addressing at the top of the list. The game would be awesome if even half of this stuff was included/addressed. The foundation is clearly there and it's not that far away from being an excellent game, especially if a few key things are improved. I have tried to remove the points that I believe have been addressed since I first noted them, though it's possible there are still a few things on this list that are no longer applicable. I hope this is helpful @MattW. This first list is for gameplay. I have much smaller lists for aesthetics and bugs.

Gameplay

* AI batting is always poor now, resulting in low scores every single time, whether it’s AI vs AI or AI vs human – wasn’t the case until sometime in March
* Serious issues with AI’s handling of spin – ruins the game at present
* Lines to LHBs are still too straight (leg side, easy runs) – fixing this really must be prioritised
* The striker takes too long to set off for a run
* The batters touch down to complete runs way over the crease, which costs them time and therefore sometimes runs
* Fielders hit the stumps far too often – when you’re not going to make your ground they hit from the in-field literally every time
* Fielding still substandard, now including regular dives right over the ball when dives aren’t even required
* Too many stupid AI run outs attempting suicidal second runs
* Mistimed aggressive ground strokes should not fly so far in the air that they carry all the way to a fielder on the boundary or go straight up in the air – if timed early then they could travel at catchable height through the circle or to a fielder on the edge of the circle, but late timing should result in plays and misses, chopping the ball into the ground or inside edging
* Late-timed balls should not go straight up in the air unless it’s a top edge from a horizontal bat shot
* Batsmen often look up very late, just in time to face the delivery, both human and AI
* Wides are adjudicated far too harshly in long-form matches – AI bowled thirteen in an innings, no more than a couple for height
* Can’t run an overthrow when the AI hits the stumps
* Should be the occasional edge from a poorly timed defensive shot
* Sometimes feels difficult to play to the on side if the ball is even just a little outside off
* Cut shot animations are horrible – always a dab or glide instead of a proper flourish
* Difficult to glance fine down the leg side – this might be related to the fact that a lot of my attempted fine glances are interpreted as late cuts, even when I feel like I’ve moved the stick to the correct side of vertically downwards (depending on the handedness of the batter)
* AI blocking balls down the leg side – should be smashing those
* Result of appeal given away before umpire makes their decision, including by commentators
* Wicketkeepers and bowlers take too long to remove the bails for stumping and run-out opportunities
* Both human and AI bowlers are unable to attempt relatively simple caught and bowleds sometimes, and sometimes don’t field off their own bowling, allowing singles that would otherwise not be available
* Obvious over-reliance on wicketkeeper catches
* Wicketkeepers regularly dive in front of slip fielders, while other edges go very square, resulting in few slip catches
* Teams chasing in ODIs should be getting bowled out more often than unsuccessfully batting out the overs, as per real life – this might have been an issue before the AI batting became terrible, didn’t have a lot of data on it
* AI sweeps and flicks always seem to go to short fine leg rather than either side
* Umpires never seem to make the wrong decision with caught behinds
* Too many edges go straight into the ground – not sure whether this would be alleviated by tinkering with the edge sliders
* Seems like outcomes when bowling have less to do with user skill than they should – user input should have a greater influence on outcomes when bowling, obviously not total influence by any means
* Should be some lofted balls plugging in the outfield – never seen this in any BA game
* Third umpire decisions are made without us seeing the replay first
* Too much playing of the ball to the leg side from outside off stump by the AI – rampant in the death overs of a 50-over match (made this note a while ago so not sure if it’s still an issue)
* AI consistently pulls full bulls – could happen occasionally but probably result in a play and miss, a bowled or an lbw more likely than runs, depending on pitch bounce
* Wicketkeepers sometimes wait for outfield returns metres behind the stumps instead of over the bails as they should do
* Three-metre rule for lbw appeal could be included
* Bowler knows you’re coming when you charge and drops it short – should be no on-pitch clue such as a raised bat but something on the HUD instead to indicate you’re going to charge
* Balls being smashed off the toe of the bat – well executed yorkers should not be smashable for four or six by the AI or by a human player, but the occasional inside edge for four is realistic
* It would be great to see a colour-marker distinction between yorkers and full tosses, maybe on a spectrum of blue where dark blue indicates a perfect yorker and attempting to smash this will almost certainly end badly
* Forced to concede a six despite taking a catch – no juggling option
* The AI seems too reliant on boundaries in T20 and faces a few too many dot balls – not a huge imbalance but could do with a tweak
* AI pacing now seems mostly good but have seen AI batters ducking under a short ball with 13 needed from 3 and another instance when 6 were needed off 2
* AI batsmen have to try for the hopeless run when they have nothing to lose on the last ball of a run chase and they need one to win or tie
* Spinners constantly deliver from too wide on the return crease, which IRL constitutes a no ball
* It feels like shots occasionally don’t go where they’re placed on the right stick – probably not worth tinkering with if there’s a risk of making something else worse
* Human bowler changing from over to round the wicket or round to over – the bowler goes all the way over, so to get back requires three button presses instead of one
* The height on some of the charge-down-the-wicket sixes is excessive
* If an AI bowler is getting spanked, he/she should be taken out of the attack
* Top edges off spinners sometimes go miles in the air, which is very unrealistic
* I’ve seen outside edges behave like inside edges from spinners (going in the wrong direction)
* AI striker should call for runs in career and star player modes when hitting in front of the wicket or when the human player hits behind the wicket, as per real life
* It’d be nice as captain in career/star player modes to be able to instruct your AI teammates to bat naturally, defensively or aggressively – would just help balance the AI and add more depth
* Human players should not be tasked with reviewing unless we are the bowler or the wicketkeeper – AI to call for reviews in these situations, or else you could reinstate the teammate confidence meter that appeared in the Bradman games
* Keeper moving leg side in anticipation of an inside edge – obvious scripting, please remove
* Non-striker backs up far too far at times in career/star player modes
* Changing the rope distance in match type editor makes no difference whatsoever
* Some AI sliders appear to make no difference whatsoever – I set wicket chance to 0 and bowled the Renegades out for 106 with seven spinner wickets and three run-outs
* The rope is much too short in women’s matches and you haven’t even allowed us to change it
* I have never understood how your footwork grading works – gradings often seem counterintuitive
* Scripting still very obvious from time to time – I tested it by resetting when hit for a boundary and it happened again the next three times, irrespective of the ball bowled or the field set
* AI bowling management in one-day cricket – frontline bowlers bowling out too soon and fifth and sixth options bowling in tandem at the death – I remember this being better in previous games
* Don’t bother asking us to select the no.11 batter as the next-in
* Extreme slow balls from spinners on default sliders seem to have been introduced recently
* Fielders taking forever to bend down and pick up the ball after making a diving save
* Why does the fifth bowler bowl an early spell in first-class cricket and then is never seen again no matter how long the innings goes?
* Slow-motion batting animations are very annoying, particularly when ideal timing is achieved – don’t understand this at all
* Not enough dropped catches by the AI
* It’d be good if it were possible to bowl the AI on a misjudged leave
:eek:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I really struggled with my spin bowlers to get green inputs on hardest bowling - most likely why they got no wickets. most times green input was not even showing as a rotated LS1 for spin if I bowled off-break deliveries

This is what I have been saying.. make ideal difficult to get that special ball with both ideal inputs should be something strives for not for at will every delivery. Most of mine are good good or worse and my spinners are pretty realistic.

adamtheswan

Club Cricketer
Hahaha! I mean, it's a mighty list there @adamtheswan. Is there anything about the game that you do like?!?
I did compliment it in my opening paragraph. I didn't intend to make such a big list but I kept adding things as I noticed them and it ended up this way. I did also mention that the game would be awesome if they addressed even half of these things. Probably only a handful of them are genuinely letting the game down and I'd be happy if they just addressed those. It's entirely up to BA what they want to prioritise and what might not be worth addressing at this point. Having said that, some of the less important stuff might be the easiest and least time-consuming to fix, so I didn't want to take anything off the list. This wasn't meant to be negative, just take-or-leave-it suggestions.

Bill Greensmith

Club Captain
I did compliment it in my opening paragraph. I didn't intend to make such a big list but I kept adding things as I noticed them and it ended up this way. I did also mention that the game would be awesome if they addressed even half of these things. Probably only a handful of them are genuinely letting the game down and I'd be happy if they just addressed those. It's entirely up to BA what they want to prioritise and what might not be worth addressing at this point. Having said that, some of the less important stuff might be the easiest and least time-consuming to fix, so I didn't want to take anything off the list. This wasn't meant to be negative, just take-or-leave-it suggestions.
No problem. It was a very thorough and comprehensive list of the problems in the game. Some of them have been addressed and some of them have had suggested solutions by tweaking sliders.
I admire your commitment and applaud your thoroughness!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
No problem. It was a very thorough and comprehensive list of the problems in the game. Some of them have been addressed and some of them have had suggested solutions by tweaking sliders.
I admire your commitment and applaud your thoroughness!
I would echo this. I think your list is a pretty accurate one based on the thoughts of quite a few folk on this forum. We all continue to help the game where we can whilst still enjoying what we do, so no harm highlighting what has struck you as well.

Good stuff!

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
This is what I have been saying.. make ideal difficult to get that special ball with both ideal inputs should be something strives for not for at will every delivery. Most of mine are good good or worse and my spinners are pretty realistic.
It certainly was difficult - my spinners made no impact. I still think its too easy for the fast bowlers to get ideal input, just seems unbalanced in this regard currently

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wonder if you still need to re-skill players to have a realistic match, particularly in the shorter formats? Or have the patches ensured that this is no longer required?

Also wonder if there is a certain system or agreed standard for rating players. I did read the older discussions but most of it seemed to be nerfing player skills with judgement and power being taken down quite significantly. Which I assume doesn’t translate that well to a T20. I remember @blockerdave having a system in the previous game where the fifth block meant absolutely world-class and the fourth meant established international for instance. And then there’s always the old Ashes system where a user (can’t seem to remember their name) multiplied the batting average with 1.8 back when the skills were out of 100. Has someone come up with a system akin to that for the current game or do these older methods still work very well in this latest iteration? :)

Hester

County Cricketer
I Finally finished my SA Vs Ban Test. SA (me) won by 146 runs on the 5th day. A disappointing aspect was that Ban were in with a chance if it weren't for 4 runouts! Any slider fix that improves this? My spinners got no wickets on a dry day 5 pitch - no idea what to make of that
4 run outs?? I've never managed one! haha
What's your AI run rate set to? If it's too high, could the AI be pushing too hard for an extra run? I have mine set to 30 for tests.

Hester

County Cricketer
4 run outs?? I've never managed one! haha
What's your AI run rate set to? If it's too high, could the AI be pushing too hard for an extra run? I have mine set to 30 for tests.
Also, I don't think pitch types make any difference to spinners. Spin on grass is as effective as spin on dusty. I also find that 2nd innings scores are always higher. I think BA have programmed it backwards.
This has been my experience and I'm fully willing to accept that other players' experiences may differ from mine!

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Also, I don't think pitch types make any difference to spinners. Spin on grass is as effective as spin on dusty. I also find that 2nd innings scores are always higher. I think BA have programmed it backwards.
This has been my experience and I'm fully willing to accept that other players' experiences may differ from mine!
my AI run rate was default 50. Bang got 350 in their first innings vs 230 in 2nd innings, but 4 run-outs really made the difference else they could well have chased down the 400 target! I am still trying to find the sweet spot for batting. Hard is too easy but Hardest I edge everything. Agree - can't say I noticed any change in the pitch conditions, I was going at close to 5 an over in my 2nd innings , declaring on 265-5 (most my wickets were caught in the ring attempting to get quick runs

Hester

County Cricketer
my AI run rate was default 50. Bang got 350 in their first innings vs 230 in 2nd innings, but 4 run-outs really made the difference else they could well have chased down the 400 target! I am still trying to find the sweet spot for batting. Hard is too easy but Hardest I edge everything. Agree - can't say I noticed any change in the pitch conditions, I was going at close to 5 an over in my 2nd innings , declaring on 265-5 (most my wickets were caught in the ring attempting to get quick runs
I'm the same when it comes to batting. I think I'm going to keep it set to hard but tweak the settings a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread