Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Mr Snrub

International Coach
If Big Ant are primarily interested in the larger casual market, for whom saying the word 'licensed' over and over presumably will net them the sales they're after, then I guess that's who that video was aimed at.

They literally said NOTHING AT ALL about the gameplay being improved.

It's now more 'licensed' than ever before, with more 'licensed' countries, 'licensed' competitions, 'licensed' players, 'licensed' bats and gear.

Maybe they could 'license' some better gameplay mechanics for the next one, or did they for this one, but just not tell us?

In any case I can say with total honesty that the video shown did absolutely nothing to make me want to buy it on release.

The horrible early days of Cricket '22 were so bad that they need to do a whole lot better to sell this game to those who bought last time.

Karachi

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
If the objective of today's Dev Diary was to highlight the 'comprehensive licenses' I didn't see much. Basically Ross was saying, "take my word for it."

Wealey

ICC Board Member
You have to remember though that gameplay chat never really comes up in their marketing. Matt once said the wider audience doesn't care about little pitch tweaks compared to their favourite team being captured. Which I get.

Last year it was all about "accessibility" this year it's all about licensing.

Licensing means nothing to me personally due to the ridiculously good work people in the community do. We already pretty much had it.

It does bring animations which are very good.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You have to remember though that gameplay chat never really comes up in their marketing. Matt once said the wider audience doesn't care about little pitch tweaks compared to their favourite team being captured. Which I get.

Last year it was all about "accessibility" this year it's all about licensing.

Licensing means nothing to me personally due to the ridiculously good work people in the community do. We already pretty much had it.

It does bring animations which are very good.

That is perfectly fine.

You still can absolutely do a similar video for gameplay though. It’s what other developers do with their own dev diaries. Remember Matt saying that his favourite new feature was audio related? That is the type of stuff that gets elaborated in a dev diary. It’s supposed to be a diary account from developers and should have their own thoughts on it… this feels like a corporate/publisher version of it rather with the focus on licensed content.

You did mention how BA’s dev team were extremely passionate about the sport itself. Would such individuals be more excited to talk about how they’ve improved the feel of batting/bowling/fielding or what new mechanics they’ve introduced there over “we’re very excited to bring EIGHT new equipment manufacturers in this edition”?

I feel like a madman at times with how much emphasis I’ve put on the dev diary aspect of it rather than focusing on the same-y content of the video which others have already pointed out multiple times but this entire exercise seems wrong from the get go unless they have more of these coming up with at least one of them focusing exclusively on gameplay. Maybe I’ve been spoiled by the dev diaries from Paradox (probably the best in business that is well known) and Larian but even the likes of Sports Interactive have made extremely good ones over the last fortnight after being soundly criticised last year for very similar sounding complaints to the one BA is attracting now. Not to mention EAS FC 24 out of all games having a seven minute video on just gameplay features….
Post automatically merged:

What did I miss?

Think you’ll have less work to do for this edition (if you’re getting it that is) my friend. :D

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
In the last two games the general consensus within the community for things that would improve the game have been:

Dynamic Pitches

DRS being now worthwhile. (You know if it's out or not out 99% of the time)

Historical Scoreboards

More variety in bowling. Genuinely beat the batsmen.

Harder batting so the user can be bowled or done LBW once in a while without it being a huge human error.

And plenty more.

I'm now pretty skeptical after seeing Warner forget he's left handed for 3rd game in a row.
To be fair mate, you've narrowed the "general consensus" down to things you always talk about and "plenty more." :lol

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
The Banton wicket where the the flame machine goes off a second before the ball hits the wicket means there will also be no change to the fact you know you have a lbw before the umpire signals OUT as the player makes the same disappointed animation which ruins the appeal aspect for me FFS
The flames really annoys me. How can they look at that and be happy with it? Just put a slight delay before the flames start.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
One thing to factor in is that we may not have actually been seeing images of the new game.

Granted, I didn’t play 22 anywhere near as much as I played 19 so I wouldn’t necessarily spot subtle changes between 22 and the snippets we have seen here, but given that there is a ‘teaser’ video due to drop in 2 days, it’s possible that today they haven’t shown us that side of things.

For example they mentioned new pads and gloves, yet the players are still wearing the old stuff, so maybe what we are seeing is still 22 and that is intentional from BA, hence the 4 day drip feed of content.

Just a thought, fingers crossed…

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
One thing to factor in is that we may not have actually been seeing images of the new game.

Granted, I didn’t play 22 anywhere near as much as I played 19 so I wouldn’t necessarily spot subtle changes between 22 and the snippets we have seen here, but given that there is a ‘teaser’ video due to drop in 2 days, it’s possible that today they haven’t shown us that side of things.

For example they mentioned new pads and gloves, yet the players are still wearing the old stuff, so maybe what we are seeing is still 22 and that is intentional from BA, hence the 4 day drip feed of content.

Not sure why they would do that but then again nothing surprises me. Lets hope indeed that there are some new innovations and gameplay improvements that will make it worth while.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

If their first official video for a delayed game which happens to be out in four days just features rehashed content from their last game then everyone who claimed BA knew better than average Billy when it comes to marketing should seriously reconsider that opinion because that’s the dumbest thing they could have done as marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread