Cricket 24 - General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I watched some of my early DBC17 videos earlier. That was a game destroyed by the patches - they patched out the ability to get the AI bowled, and patched in endless bat pads via a smash into the foot.

Gameplay wise, I don’t think there’s any upgrades. The outplay catching mechanism where you ran into the circle was shite, but that’s it in terms of improvements. Actually though the x in a circle mini game is triggered in the ring some times too… and it also triggers a couple of times for you to stop the ball.

Watch this YouTube and tell me I’m wrong. Easter egg for you at 2.30 @Wealey

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I watched some of my early DBC17 videos earlier. That was a game destroyed by the patches - they patched out the ability to get the AI bowled, and patched in endless bat pads via a smash into the foot.

Gameplay wise, I don’t think there’s any upgrades. The outplay catching mechanism where you ran into the circle was shite, but that’s it in terms of improvements. Actually though the x in a circle mini game is triggered in the ring some times too… and it also triggers a couple of times for you to stop the ball.

Watch this YouTube and tell me I’m wrong. Easter egg for you at 2.30 @Wealey

A few nice feather nicks in there. That camera when you were bowling was odd though, jumping closer to the striker’s end mid delivery. Was that a personal choice or did that actually happen and I can’t recall it?

Rahul_Rants

County Cricketer
India
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Did they just remove all the new shot animation and made the style no 7 batter a generic one? The only unique thing about that style now is just the back lift.
The booming cover drive, the front foot pull, the half crouch pull all seem to be gone.
Can anyone else confirm this?

Rahul_Rants

County Cricketer
India
Profile Flag
India
Apparently some of the new shots like straightvdrive , lofted straight drive , cut shot and scoop shot all not working according to someone on twitter post new patch. I have not played the game yet as I am on the fence
Can confirm, theyre no longer in the game.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Has anyone tried the advanced lofted shot against spinners ? Does it look smooth? Among all BA games,I remember it being very natural in DBC 14, easy controller option as well.
Would like them to bring those controls back for advance lofted shots.

Rahul_Rants

County Cricketer
India
Profile Flag
India
Great job, Big Ant Studios - removing all these shots. Instead of fixing the issue with all the licensed players having the same animation, you went ahead and removed them altogether from the game.

Untitled design (7).png

cricboi

Club Captain
I have yet to buy 24, I probably won't until later in the patch cycle or if it goes on sale, but I want to bring up an important point about fielding. During the first 6 months of Cricket 22s release I probably filed dozens of tickets. I sent in multiple videos and screenshots, and posted on this very forum which we know is (occasionally) viewed by BA employees. And pretty much every single one of these tickets and posts were related to fielding.

From this we can conclude two possibilities:
1)they don't know how to fix it
2) they know how but don't think it's worth the resources.

Option 1 makes sense when you consider how many attempts they've made at boundary fielding without actually getting it. They are clearly interested in fixing the fielding but if it hasn't happened so maybe they just can't figure it out. Option 2 makes sense when you consider that maybe to fix fielding requires a complete overhaul and they can't afford to allocate those hours or outsource it when money is required somewhere else. I think by now they must've considered paying someone else to help them with this problem, but maybe that's too pricey.

Either way, this is all to say I don't have faith in them really fixing it this time around. Sure 22 got better over the first year, but the big problems still seem to be here and that makes me think they won't be able to iron it out even 9 months from now.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
joe root and ben stokes are ghosts.At the begining of day 4 of the the 1st test match they emerge through the sight screen onto the pitch.Game is ok but still has a long way to go.These type of things should really not be happening .Please cut the commentary about running for singles. Its incredibly irritating and 99% inaccurate anyway.Why is it that in the big bash commentary partnerships and milestones are mentioned but not the test match.Didn't even know the day was ending until they emerged through the screens.
Final moan for tonight how do you take the new ball and how do you know if the new ball has been taken.Looking the ball in over 90 it looked clearly like it hadn't been taken yet no way to take it.Playing as star player who is also the captain.

threetoed

School Cricketer
Big Ant's release strategy did them no favors. All sports games get overwrought responses and after AFL and Rugby, Cricket 24 was guaranteed to generate hot takes.

But then Big Ant led with licenses - teams, players, and kit. The kit is cool, but no real players had the new gear assigned and we found out after release that Pakistan and NZ are licensed, but not updated. We have new stadia, but the cameras are broken in them.

They also touted the new audio. They are chants in Indian stadia, but many players and streamers start with career mode, where the sound is poor. There is also some indication that the sound was mixed for headphones, which sounds disappointing through TV speakers.

Lastly, fielding. Even after release, they were touting that fielding was totally revamped. It certainly is not obvious to the untrained eye that fielding is revamped or improved. At any rate, calling it completely revamped was setting expectations way higher than what they put out could possibly satisfy.

Plus, the presentation and graphics are not a leap over the previous game, so there isn't anything to really set Cricket 24 apart from 22. They highlighted things that accentuated the gulf between expectations and the reality of the game.

If that had managed expectations better by putting out content that highlighted the differences and improvements - these batters are faster off the block, the fielders react faster, we have an associate nations cup for all the new licensed associates, look how cool the crowds at IPL matches sound, here's a split screen of the new actions compared to the real life bowlers, etc., etc. I think they could have reduced the negativity in the reception of the game.

They were never going to get a positive reaction since they didn't fix the fielding. But do you think they could have made the response less negative if the led with their strengths?

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Big Ant's release strategy did them no favors. All sports games get overwrought responses and after AFL and Rugby, Cricket 24 was guaranteed to generate hot takes.

But then Big Ant led with licenses - teams, players, and kit. The kit is cool, but no real players had the new gear assigned and we found out after release that Pakistan and NZ are licensed, but not updated. We have new stadia, but the cameras are broken in them.

They also touted the new audio. They are chants in Indian stadia, but many players and streamers start with career mode, where the sound is poor. There is also some indication that the sound was mixed for headphones, which sounds disappointing through TV speakers.

Lastly, fielding. Even after release, they were touting that fielding was totally revamped. It certainly is not obvious to the untrained eye that fielding is revamped or improved. At any rate, calling it completely revamped was setting expectations way higher than what they put out could possibly satisfy.

Plus, the presentation and graphics are not a leap over the previous game, so there isn't anything to really set Cricket 24 apart from 22. They highlighted things that accentuated the gulf between expectations and the reality of the game.

If that had managed expectations better by putting out content that highlighted the differences and improvements - these batters are faster off the block, the fielders react faster, we have an associate nations cup for all the new licensed associates, look how cool the crowds at IPL matches sound, here's a split screen of the new actions compared to the real life bowlers, etc., etc. I think they could have reduced the negativity in the reception of the game.

They were never going to get a positive reaction since they didn't fix the fielding. But do you think they could have made the response less negative if the led with their strengths?

If they had a less buggy product on their hands along with better marketing then of course the reaction would have been much better. As you’ve mentioned they should have had dev diaries focusing on the things they did improve compared to C22.

Users who are viewing this thread