Cricket 24 - General Discussion

jatboy

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
@WealeyH Idk man I think the reality is the game is either unfinished (highly possible due to it originally meant to be out before Ashes but they'll say it got delayed because of WC and IPL).

Like no game does this, if it was a huge company like Valve or something I could understand it having a shadow drop. As for everyone seeing the ad Oct 5th..
Yeah could be a strategy but not a very good one otherwise it would have been used by numerous other sport games but it's not because generating hype weeks/months before is clearly the best way to go to sell something before a big event. FIFA doesn't magically appear on the day Prem starts...

I hate to sound like a downer as I know there's plenty of people who do that here already but something's you gotta call a spade a spade, I'm not even particularly looking forward to the game but thought I'd just check in to see what's up and I hope I am completely wrong but cmon.

EDIT: Wasn't the last game to follow a similar strategy AC13? I don't think BA will reach those levels but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a literal reskin of 22 with a few more licences and everything important untouched...
Completely Agree With You. A Bad Strategy

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm assuming you have sold numerous video games?

This is my point people saying bad strategy on the evidence of what?

Based on the evidence that literally no other developer+publisher has ever done something like this and had a good launch? Shadow launches don't count since they're dependent on the shock value of a sudden release with no date announced earlier which isn't the case here.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to die on this particular hill.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Based on the evidence that literally no other developer+publisher has ever done something like this and had a good launch? Shadow launches don't count since they're dependent on the shock value of a sudden release with no date announced earlier which isn't the case here.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to die on this particular hill.

But how do you know that they haven't from past games realized that the sales gained from the marketing they have done hasnt been worth it for the outlay spent on the marketing?

You don't have access to that data so therefore have absolutely no idea if it's a bad choice from them or not...

I'm not choosing to die on any hill. Its just not a hard things to understand. As a business they will have a reason. The reason will be justified by data and last results and they will have calculated that the strategy they are going for is most beneficial.

The marketing has always been minimal at best anyway.

It's not about dying on any hill.. but there's just so so much rubbish on these forums.

Minimal marketing doesn't mean it's a bad game. Nor does it mean it's a good game. It will be purely financial.

It could be the best cricket game ever released and that's because the extra money saved on marketing went into development. No one knows.

Cricket titles are for such a niche crowd it's ridiculous. I work at a school all the kids know the game is coming and waiting for it. If you love cricket you end up finding out about it.

if you don't like cricket chances are no trailer is going to remotely interest you.

IN A NUTSHELL it may look bad to us.. and don't get me wrong I wouldn't say it was ideal. But last years marketing may have cost them money and made no difference to their sales. So it's impossible for us to say it's bad. NACON arnt EA. They are far far more restricted you would assume.

BA have no control over it. And will be complying to all sorts of contractual license things

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
But how do you know that they haven't from past games realized that the sales gained from the marketing they have done hasnt been worth it for the outlay spent on the marketing?

You don't have access to that data so therefore have absolutely no idea if it's a bad choice from them or not...

I'm not choosing to die on any hill. Its just not a hard things to understand. As a business they will have a reason. The reason will be justified by data and last results and they will have calculated that the strategy they are going for is most beneficial.

The marketing has always been minimal at best anyway.

It's not about dying on any hill.. but there's just so so much rubbish on these forums.

Minimal marketing doesn't mean it's a bad game. Nor does it mean it's a good game. It will be purely financial.

It could be the best cricket game ever released and that's because the extra money saved on marketing went into development. No one knows.

Cricket titles are for such a niche crowd it's ridiculous. I work at a school all the kids know the game is coming and waiting for it. If you love cricket you end up finding out about it.

if you don't like cricket chances are no trailer is going to remotely interest you.

I’m genuinely curious about what the cost of taking a screenshot and posting it online would be for one. Because that would already be more marketing than what they’ve done so far. You’re assuming that marketing the game means making a high production video or buying out slots to air on TV, getting a popular personality on social media to spread the news when none of this is even mandatory. This whole debate of “you aren’t a developer let alone their developer so you shouldn’t talk about it” reeks of gatekeeping honestly. As is assuming they’re taking the right decision just because they have the access to data others won’t because we’ve surely not seen other game developers and publishers shoot their own foot before in the same process.

There is a huge difference between minimal marketing and no marketing. They’ve currently done absolutely nothing barring a few tweets and a couple of statements. For your example of the kids you teach knowing all about this game, I have a couple of friends who own Big Ant’s previous titles that have zero clue about the fact they’re releasing a new game in a week’s time that also happens to have IPL team licenses. There’s tons of niche games that have done better job at generating interest in their games with cost effective processes which is surely not beyond Nacon or BA?

Sure, I agree that the lack of marketing doesn’t mean it’s doomed to be a bad game like half of this forum believes. But I’m pretty sure no developer would want to sit on a good product without spreading the word about it anywhere in no form. Especially when this launch window is jam packed with other options and you don’t have the luxury of falling back on a big enough fanbase that will buy your games no matter what with a questionable last release which is proven by Cricket 19’s active playerbase on Steam being pretty close to Cricket 22.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I’m genuinely curious about what the cost of taking a screenshot and posting it online would be for one. Because that would already be more marketing than what they’ve done so far. You’re assuming that marketing the game means making a high production video or buying out slots to air on TV, getting a popular personality on social media to spread the news when none of this is even mandatory. This whole debate of “you aren’t a developer let alone their developer so you shouldn’t talk about it” reeks of gatekeeping honestly. As is assuming they’re taking the right decision just because they have the access to data others won’t because we’ve surely not seen other game developers and publishers shoot their own foot before in the same process.

There is a huge difference between minimal marketing and no marketing. They’ve currently done absolutely nothing barring a few tweets and a couple of statements. For your example of the kids you teach knowing all about this game, I have a couple of friends who own Big Ant’s previous titles that have zero clue about the fact they’re releasing a new game in a week’s time that also happens to have IPL team licenses. There’s tons of niche games that have done better job at generating interest in their games with cost effective processes which is surely not beyond Nacon or BA?

Sure, I agree that the lack of marketing doesn’t mean it’s doomed to be a bad game like half of this forum believes. But I’m pretty sure no developer would want to sit on a good product without spreading the word about it anywhere in no form. Especially when this launch window is jam packed with other options and you don’t have the luxury of falling back on a big enough fanbase that will buy your games no matter what with a questionable last release which is proven by Cricket 19’s active playerbase on Steam being pretty close to Cricket 22.

Yeah but it's not up to the developer it's the publisher.

Your right in everything you say.. but my point is we don't know the ins and outs.

So therefore no one has a clue. Their strategy could be release week. It's always late.

Either way I trust they are slightly more clued up on what to do than Mike sat at home on his laptop pissed off he ain't seen a screenshot

Cricket boards may also not want kits etc on show...

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Well they can put some screenshots on twitter and a teaser/trailer sort of video and upload it on YouTube for free , that would be free marketing practically and will spread to the people who doesn’t even know about cricket 24 yet. Surely it’s free sales to grab if they use their dim witted brains

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Well they can put some screenshots on twitter and a teaser/trailer sort of video and upload it on YouTube for free , that would be free marketing practically and will spread to the people who doesn’t even know about cricket 24 yet. Surely it’s free sales to grab if they use their dim witted brains

To be fair you could just ask your source for us? Save all this discussion?

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
To be fair you could just ask your source for us? Save all this discussion?
No body in BAS knows what’s going through Ross head probably he himself doesn’t know either what he will do tomorrow.

Google grandiose narcissist and you will not ask this question again.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
No body in BAS knows what’s going through Ross head probably he himself doesn’t know either what he will do tomorrow.

Google grandiose narcissist and you will not ask this question again.

Ross doesn't decide the marketing? I'm pretty certain your source would know that?

Reactions: DAP

Mr Snrub

International Coach

This is an excellent well reasoned post.

Firstly, it seems like you're having to justify your opinion, but you're well entitled to say what you have, because from a broader look at the gaming industry and their promotional approaches, it's pretty much spot on. It may or may not be right about Cricket '24, but it's as valid a point of view as anyone could have. Wealey is well entitled to argue against your view, but the truth is, he doesn't know for sure why they're doing what they are either.

Sure Ross has stated in reply to a suggestion that they can't show some players, grounds and kits due to licensing and marketing reasons. Absolutely fair enough and understandable. However, this is a game that (presuming it has anything like the customisation that previous titles have) you can show any generic or custom kits, players or grounds in a playing scenario.

Easy to show a team called the Suburban Tigers, playing against the Inner City Bulls at the Western Showgrounds for example. Just to show people the quality of graphics, HUD, conditions (pitch and atmospheric) and other features. A short clip based trailer, showing a couple of minutes of good wickets, bowling and batting animations, edges and fielding could probably be banged out over someone's lunchtime. Of course, adding a few things like start and end cap notices (maybe one explaining "GENERIC TEAMS ONLY USED FOR TRAILER") and music would take some time, but it's hardly mission impossible for a professional development or production team.

Though IF the game isn't much more to look at or play than '22 and needs licenses, kits and official players to look good at all, why would you want to show that?

Still this is just my own opinion, hopefully that's okay.

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Who's more invested in the product's financial success than Ross? Absolutely no one! So, maybe let's hold off on the marketing advice until there's some actual evidence of a flop.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Who's more invested in the product's financial success than Ross? Absolutely no one! So, maybe let's hold off on the marketing advice until there's some actual evidence of a flop.
So you're suggesting we don't voice opinions about an upcoming game?

Also, if the game does turn out to be a flop, do we then start giving marketing advice? (None of us are advising him now by the way), just airing our thoughts like in some sort of discussion forum.

Users who are viewing this thread