Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
This responsibility falls on you, my friend. Given the messy release of C22 and the poor and misleading pre-release marketing for C24, buying it on day one while disregarding these issues is unrealistic, expecting miraculous improvements.

The collective approach of the folks on this forum (at least) should be to operate as a group. I'm not implying that we shouldn't purchase BA's cricket games, as I'm a fervent cricket gaming enthusiast myself. However, this should only occur if BA acknowledges their release shortcomings and takes responsibility for them by delivering frequent patches. Buying at the right time would send a strong message to BA and promote better quality in the future.
I don't see any value in a group boycott of the game. Everyone can make their own decision to buy or not to buy and BA will not even notice if the people on this forum don't buy the game. Also, without people here buying the game, it is very difficult for any sensible debate on the merits, or otherwise, of the game as it stands.

BA have a very particular business model which is to create games for niche sports that they know no other developer or publisher will try to compete in. It gives them a monopoly on the sports that they cover and, as such, anyone who is a fan of that particular sport and likes video games, has only one option. BA would never produce a soccer, golf, baseball, or basketball title because they would have to compete with other developers. It is a sensible business decision as they sell into an uncontested market. The downside is that the reason this market is uncontested is that it is viewed as being too small for major developers to engage in. Although BA would probably like to produce high quality games, the size of the market means that they can't really afford to do that and, because they have no competition, they don't really need to. They will spend their time on things that have superficial appeal (e.g. licences and player likenesses) to increase sales to casual gamers but there is less incentive to address harder issues with gameplay because that is something discovered after purchase. I am pretty sure that if a competent developer entered the market for cricket games, BA wouldn't sell another unit and would quickly drop the line of products rather than compete. But no other developer will enter the market, so we will have to live with whatever BA serves up.

For some, perhaps many, what BA serves up is good enough. It sort of looks like cricket and sometimes feels like cricket. And that's fine. For those who can't live with the flaws and sloppy design, then don't buy the game. I won't be buying mainly because the career mode, which is the one mode I crave, is absolute hot garbage and unpatchable. That does not mean that a one-off match or other modes might not be good enough entertainment for some. All that said, I would be much more amenable to buying the game if BA actually engaged in a positive and constructive way with their customers. Unfortunately, with Ross at the helm this is not going to happen and I feel really sorry for the developers who will be forced into working weekends and evenings to compensate for his poor leadership and decision making.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
Tips for better gameplay in any any BA Cricket Version

Change High Skill Edge Influence to 60

Miss Input Influence to 55

Miss Skill Influence to 45

Remove Batting And Bowling Perks from most average players and spinners.Use Perks Only for Top Players of a team.Spin perks break the game.

Nard2020

Club Captain
I don't see any value in a group boycott of the game. Everyone can make their own decision to buy or not to buy and BA will not even notice if the people on this forum don't buy the game. Also, without people here buying the game, it is very difficult for any sensible debate on the merits, or otherwise, of the game as it stands.

BA have a very particular business model which is to create games for niche sports that they know no other developer or publisher will try to compete in. It gives them a monopoly on the sports that they cover and, as such, anyone who is a fan of that particular sport and likes video games, has only one option. BA would never produce a soccer, golf, baseball, or basketball title because they would have to compete with other developers. It is a sensible business decision as they sell into an uncontested market. The downside is that the reason this market is uncontested is that it is viewed as being too small for major developers to engage in. Although BA would probably like to produce high quality games, the size of the market means that they can't really afford to do that and, because they have no competition, they don't really need to. They will spend their time on things that have superficial appeal (e.g. licences and player likenesses) to increase sales to casual gamers but there is less incentive to address harder issues with gameplay because that is something discovered after purchase. I am pretty sure that if a competent developer entered the market for cricket games, BA wouldn't sell another unit and would quickly drop the line of products rather than compete. But no other developer will enter the market, so we will have to live with whatever BA serves up.

For some, perhaps many, what BA serves up is good enough. It sort of looks like cricket and sometimes feels like cricket. And that's fine. For those who can't live with the flaws and sloppy design, then don't buy the game. I won't be buying mainly because the career mode, which is the one mode I crave, is absolute hot garbage and unpatchable. That does not mean that a one-off match or other modes might not be good enough entertainment for some. All that said, I would be much more amenable to buying the game if BA actually engaged in a positive and constructive way with their customers. Unfortunately, with Ross at the helm this is not going to happen and I feel really sorry for the developers who will be forced into working weekends and evenings to compensate for his poor leadership and decision making.
I’m so sorry but this entire thing is a pretty terrible take.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Tips for better gameplay in any any BA Cricket Version

Change High Skill Edge Influence to 60

Miss Input Influence to 55

Miss Skill Influence to 45

Remove Batting And Bowling Perks from most average players and spinners.Use Perks Only for Top Players of a team.Spin perks break the game.

I think I cranked up the miss influence to the maximum (or minimum, can’t remember) which gave me more plays and misses including bowled and lbws which I never had without it. It worked especially well in AC17 and C19 but something seemed to have been changed for it in C22 because it was nowhere near as effective.

Hester

County Cricketer
I think I cranked up the miss influence to the maximum (or minimum, can’t remember) which gave me more plays and misses including bowled and lbws which I never had without it. It worked especially well in AC17 and C19 but something seemed to have been changed for it in C22 because it was nowhere near as effective.
"Maximum (or minimum, can't remember)"
Oh my God, do you work for bigant? :D

Chevo

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Just finished my first ashes test playing as Australia on Legend AI and hard settings with default sliders.

Starting the test the first screen should really say “The Ashes - 1st Test”, personally for me this sets the tone however with it saying “The Ashes - Round 1” feels like a cheap gimmicky knock off.
IMG_7103.jpeg

The Good:
- Bowling felt more responsive and controlled this time around and felt like I could bowl to a set field and apply pressure to the batsman.
- Ai also seemed like they where trying to bowl to a plan and their field and got me with a leg side trap below.

- Playing out the full 5 days gave a sense of different swings of momentum to either England or Australia and felt like there where times I could attack or had to look to shut up shop and soak up the pressure.

The Bad:
- Day 5 pitch and run up area at 5PM should never look this, could easily be the first morning of the test and wear and tear of the pitch and associated run up area with footmarks being left behind is a must as the test progresses.
IMG_7104.jpeg

- Felt like there periods of genuine contest between bat and ball but then the big ant script came out and easily reminded me how the game can feel like it’s on rails with one set direction and outcome as stokes edged behind for 6 or 7 straight deliveries to let me know his time had come, however fortunately for stokes the mini game catching broke down and managed to eventually fluke one to actually stick. Video of issue below from one of the deliveries.

-Fielding is pretty average at best out on the boundary for any sky balls, there’s no effort or intensity to get to the ball and fielders can often get stuck momentarily.

-Always feels like it’s impossible to clean through a tail in the big ant games as the final wicket hanged around for over 100 run partnership.
IMG_7106.jpeg

The Horrific:
- Stokes watching the ball go over the boundary to finish the test.

The Outstanding:
First innings Nathan Lyon :lol

Overall can be an enjoyable experience as winning the test with a handful of overs left in the day was rewarding to pace my innings on the final day between going hard and easing off throughout the day which is easy enough on a deck which has remained unchanged since day 1.
IMG_7105.jpeg

Overall experience was # out of #. (I’ll patch it in later ;))

smurfygray86

Associate Captain
Just finished my first ashes test playing as Australia on Legend AI and hard settings with default sliders.

Starting the test the first screen should really say “The Ashes - 1st Test”, personally for me this sets the tone however with it saying “The Ashes - Round 1” feels like a cheap gimmicky knock off.
View attachment 285024

The Good:
- Bowling felt more responsive and controlled this time around and felt like I could bowl to a set field and apply pressure to the batsman.
- Ai also seemed like they where trying to bowl to a plan and their field and got me with a leg side trap below.

- Playing out the full 5 days gave a sense of different swings of momentum to either England or Australia and felt like there where times I could attack or had to look to shut up shop and soak up the pressure.

The Bad:
- Day 5 pitch and run up area at 5PM should never look this, could easily be the first morning of the test and wear and tear of the pitch and associated run up area with footmarks being left behind is a must as the test progresses.
View attachment 285025

- Felt like there periods of genuine contest between bat and ball but then the big ant script came out and easily reminded me how the game can feel like it’s on rails with one set direction and outcome as stokes edged behind for 6 or 7 straight deliveries to let me know his time had come, however fortunately for stokes the mini game catching broke down and managed to eventually fluke one to actually stick. Video of issue below from one of the deliveries.

-Fielding is pretty average at best out on the boundary for any sky balls, there’s no effort or intensity to get to the ball and fielders can often get stuck momentarily.

-Always feels like it’s impossible to clean through a tail in the big ant games as the final wicket hanged around for over 100 run partnership.
View attachment 285026

The Horrific:
- Stokes watching the ball go over the boundary to finish the test.

The Outstanding:
First innings Nathan Lyon :lol

Overall can be an enjoyable experience as winning the test with a handful of overs left in the day was rewarding to pace my innings on the final day between going hard and easing off throughout the day which is easy enough on a deck which has remained unchanged since day 1.
View attachment 285027

Overall experience was # out of #. (I’ll patch it in later ;))
13 wickets for Lyon and that’s without spin in the game physics. Good lord

smurfygray86

Associate Captain
The gaming industry in general is so poor with things like career mode it’s not just BA although at the minute they are the bad boys of gaming. Playing F1 23 last night part of career mode is the team asks you to make a decision… sell hoodies or hats as merchandise? After thinking about it at length and consulting the family I press A hoodies. “Well done you handled that well.” And that’s it on we go to the next race.

smurfygray86

Associate Captain
Did anybody know you could change UI colour ? Or is that in latest patch ? What we should be asking is why is the Batsman holding his bat like that in the background
IMG_2264.png

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I genuinely think these are people who haven’t been backed by BA at all but are doing this because they seek attention from them and gain favours. Almost as if it’s an audition or pitch…
Post automatically merged:

The gaming industry in general is so poor with things like career mode it’s not just BA although at the minute they are the bad boys of gaming. Playing F1 23 last night part of career mode is the team asks you to make a decision… sell hoodies or hats as merchandise? After thinking about it at length and consulting the family I press A hoodies. “Well done you handled that well.” And that’s it on we go to the next race.

F1 used to be a very good game before Codemasters were bought by EA… now it’s just been reduced to the rest of their garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread