Cricket in America

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I heard they were building cricket stadium somewhere in NY.

I hope they do, I mean I don't mind going to FL for cricket game, but NY would have some awesome crowd. :)

Where the hell are they going to build a cricket stadium in NY? They had to built the football stadium for the NY Giants and the JETS in Rutherford, NJ.

P

pcfan123

lol they are going to invite full member teams to play on a NY club ground? Good luck getting the ICC to approve that. I know you NYC guys have better facilities than us in the south but it's still no way near International standard.

Why the hell did Broward county buld a $70 million stadium if USACA won't even use it.

PrimeOdysseus

School Cricketer
Just saying, if they were to build stadium in NY or NJ, there's gonna be massive crowd at any international cricket game.

P

pcfan123

It would never make the money back, a stadium in NY/NJ would costs 100s of millions.

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
About FXXXing time! This is how soccer's growth in the US started about 25 years ago! If cricket can be half as popular as soccer here and we eventually have a league that's half as decent and stable as MLS we're golden. I must have sent a dozen (slight exaggeration) emails and suggestion letters to them and other networks over the last 2 years to get the cricket rights. I know this deal has nothing to do with it but it feels so good to finally get what u wanted so badly and for so long! Thank you, ESPN!

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
This deal was a stroke of genius for ESPN, depending on how much they paid. Most of these events/games are on at early morning to noon US time-slot. That's a good time to broadcast to a niche but dedicated audience and they don't have anything to lose as they don't clash with their other, major programming. These events will draw much better ratings than whatever filler programs they now have on that time-slot. So even if the article mostly mentions ESPN3.com, I'll bet most Twenty20 World Cup games will also be on TV (ESPN2, Classic and perhaps the final on ESPN).

I don't see too many 50-over games televised on TV though, which would require them to give up 8-hour slots, except the World Cup in 2015 (will also be on at AM hours). But I'm not complaining. This is a great start. No more paying $150 dollars to watch games that should be available for free and, most importantly, many more people will get to watch and learn about this great game and hopefully be converted to cricket fans.

Last edited:

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
I've been visiting espn.com for the past 10 years and have never seen anything related to cricket on top of the front page before. This is a good development. It certainly has to do with their new broadcast deal and should happen a lot more in the future. Some of the comments under their cricket articles were hostile but some were also neutral and curious about the sport. That's the thing.. there will always be some conservatives who will bash anything foreign and want nothing to challenge their sport and the status quo. But this is a country of 300 million with many different taste and increasingly open mind, thanks to the internet and interaction with people from all over the world. An exciting sport like cricket with so much similarities with American sports (high scoring, athleticism, toughness, breaks between plays, many strategies involved etc. etc.) and so many new/different elements to offer should be able to get a foothold here over time if necessary investments are made.

A lot more people will learn about cricket in the next few years and who knows, maybe some investors with vision will also emerge out of them who will come together and decide to take it to the next level. They will build 7-8 small but expandable stadiums around the country and start a professional T20 league with semi-decent payroll/talent level (with many players from the associate nations at first). Like most startup businesses it will lose money for a while but this will be a long-term play (similar to MLS) which will pay dividend over time. After some time, as cricket grows in popularity with lots of exposer on TV (esp. with world cups every other year and perhaps the US national team involvement), higher level investments would be made with stadium expansion and payroll increase to bring more players from test nations. The better quality would attract even more spectators at the gate and on TV. That combined with some investment, youth cricket would explode in the country, improving the US national team which will lead to even more increase in popularity for the sport. And, the upward spiral will continue.

Well, thats my dream anyway. The first part of my dream has already come true, so why not?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
MORE SPORTS
Racing
Golf
Tennis
Boxing
MMA
Recruiting
Olympic Sports
Horse Racing

How the hell does Cricket not make the 'more sports' at the bottom of the ESPN website but fricking Horse Racing does?? And even the olympics, that stuff only matters every 4 years....gimme a break!

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
^^ ON top, if you go to More sports, there is cricket but is directed to cricinfo.

Most of the cricket articles can be found if you search cricket

Users who are viewing this thread