Cricket in America

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Looks like Neo Cricket will be showing IPL 4 in the US on TV. Its available through Comcast TV, for only 15$ a month. Another good step up though I hope somehow youtube streaming for all matches also opens up in US.

----------

Also Dhoni's winning shot made the ESPN Sportscenter. If anyone finds it on video please post it here.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Dhoni leads India to World Cup glory - CNN.com

CNN Coverage

----------

Looks like Neo Cricket will be showing IPL 4 in the US on TV. Its available through Comcast TV, for only 15$ a month. Another good step up though I hope somehow youtube streaming for all matches also opens up in US.

----------

Also Dhoni's winning shot made the ESPN Sportscenter. If anyone finds it on video please post it here.

Are you sure Neo USA will telecast the IPL too?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Did anyone watch Dial C for cricket after today's IPL game? I was on the air!

It was great fun.

Params7

International Cricketer
Yeah that sucks. I don't know why that is, its not like they've got any other series to broadcast.

Last edited:

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
ESPN just lost the bidding war with NBC Sports for the NHL TV rights for next 10 years (worth about $2 billion USD). NBC intends to build up their sports network to eventually go head-to-head with ESPN. Earlier, they got the rights to rugby events and are showing intention to grow that sport as well, much like what ESPN has done with soccer over the last decade. One indication of that is, they are televising some rugby games on their over-the-air (free) channel which is a big deal for a relatively unknown sport in this country.

What do all of these may have to do with cricket? Perhaps not much but I have a good feeling cricket will be ESPN's answer to that. We've already seen ESPN buy the rights to many cricket events for the next 5 years but there was a better chance they would not have a big plan for those (i.e. burying them mostly in their online platform, no replays later on their main channels in better time-slots, not much mention on their nightly sports shows/talks etc.). Now that ESPN lost the rights to one of the major leagues and a serious competitor to them is emerging it's likely that cricket will start getting a lot more attention and coverage.

With decent coverage, there's a fairly big and dedicated American base of cricket fans ESPN would be able to attract to grow their audience to counter NBC's growth and charge the carriers/ISP's slightly higher subscription fee. The cricket base is not as big as NHL's for sure but it's probably the next best thing for ESPN right now, especially at a relatively low cost. I was watching the bidding war closely and am relieved to see them lose and also at the thought of a near sports monopoly being broken in the future. Competition is always good for sports leagues and fans, especially for the niche sports like cricket.

Last edited:

Params7

International Cricketer

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
This is what ICC/cricket is missing from the American market (among many other things) ..

Fox, Telemundo pay staggering $1 billion for World Cup rights - WJW

Fox, Telemundo pay staggering $1 billion for World Cup rights

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Fox paid $425 million to win the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup in the United States, and Telemundo paid $600 million for Spanish-language U.S. rights, an individual with knowledge of the bidding tells TheWrap.

To think soccer and cricket were on nearly the same footing in America 40 years ago (both non-existent)! Imagine the ICC invested a small sum of money and effort in this market and got even 1/10th of the deal soccer (a sport "too foreign" for America) world cups just received! The significant South-Asian populations here alone would make their investment pay off, long term if not immediately.

Last edited:

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Never thought I'd see the day. But the US already has baseball I guess.

SLICKR392

Club Captain
Those guys are dumb and stupid...
They would have their wicket keeper at deep mid wicket & have hams after every single ball...Drinks Break (American style).
Like a BOSS!

MLSfan22

School Cricketer
Here's a very long piece by an American writer sent by ESPN to experience/cover a test match (England vs. India) at Lord's.

Test of Time: In Defense of Test Cricket

ESPN covets the international sports market, so The Boss dispatched me overseas for a cricket match between India and England. This made sense, as I'd recently covered the Cricket World Cup on the subcontinent. I knew the rules and knew that a Test match was the original and purest form of cricket, a game that can go on for five days. Forty hours. I thought the same thing any sane person would think: How can a sporting event that lasts five days possibly still exist?

In America, television executives began looking at cricket, seeing the opportunities and marketing potential, knowing advertisers would salivate over the untapped global market. ESPN recently bought the rights to the next four years of the World Cup, and, with the fan interest rising, dispatched a reporter, who is now sitting in this conference room, watching as the Indian captain, MS Dhoni, arrives to a flutter of cameras.

"Do you think Test cricket will survive another 2,000 matches?" I ask.

There's a pause. The room snickers. Four seconds go by. Finally, Dhoni clears his throat.

"That's a really tricky one," he says.

I personally think no amount of convincing will get America to watch and enjoy test cricket, at least not in my children's lifetime. America just doesn't have the attention span, especially for something that may not even decide a winner after such lengthy contests.

Twenty20 (and eventually ODI) cricket however will become very popular here over the next couple of decades, with a media juggernaut like ESPN now on it's side. After losing the bid for two of the world's most popular events (Olympics and soccer World Cup) to rival networks, ESPN will bump up cricket World Cups and make sure it becomes popular enough so they can proudly say "the worldwide leader in sports" still owns the rights to one of the world's top 3 events. As a hardcore cricket fan I'm very excited to go through this development (and the start of a decent T20 league next year). I've watched soccer and MLS grow little by little over the past 20 years. It was a great ride and I can't wait to go again, this time with cricket!

Users who are viewing this thread