Cricket's One Hit Wonders

tassietiger

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
A little bit like Bradman falling one boundary short of an average of 100, I was one hit agonisingly short of becoming one of cricket's one hit wonders.

tassietiger added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

To go with the original post, playing 1 game and never again

Rodney Redmond. He's Aaron Redmond's dad and he played a single test for NZ and scored 107 and 56: Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Rodney Redmond

Had to stop playing because of eyesight.
Averaged 81.5. Good effort in my books, a record worth retiring on.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Hodge played 2 tests against the West Indies, then 3 against South Africa before he was dropped despite having an average close to 60, and a double century. He was picked for one more test during our tour of the Caribbean this year, and scored a 50 in it, but he was only in because of injury and was dropped never to be seen again in international cricket so far.

Selectors should really give him another go, has been domestic cricket's most consistent man over this decade or so and would be better than Symonds and Watson.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
He can't bowl that great tho...

Andy Guatamea or summin like that for the Windies, scored a 100 on debut and never played again...

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
I guess Vijay Bharadwaj (he played for India,3nation ODI series in SA),if one could remember,in his 1st ODI series he was Man of the Series,later nobody knows what happened,we didnt even notice is name in domestic Cricket...

I remember,and i agree with you,never ever heard of him after that series...

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
There was one Indian batsman who was a one-hit wonder, literally.If you have`nt guessed yet,it was Hrishikesh Kanitkar whose only achievement was scoring a match-winning boundary which helped India to a successful run-chase (which was then a world-record run chase).He even played a test match but that was his only achievement of note(this just shows how poor our side was in the 1999-2000 season).

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yograj Singh (Yuvraj's father) played one Test match. I seem to remember him hitting a century, but it turns out he was a bowler. I swear there is a parent of a current India player who played one match and scored a century...

Arunava

Club Captain
There was an Aussie opener who played in place of Hayden or any other Aussie opener. He was Left hander , great technique. Scored 199. Don't remember his name. It was around Late 90's ('97 perhaps)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Watson is a pretty good seamer.

I think that Aussie Lefty played a lot more than one game. Martin Love? Summin like that.

biks76

Club Cricketer
Last edited by a moderator:

Arunava

Club Captain
yea thanks somiya. it was Matthew Elliot, but i just realize that he played much more than one game, but i just remembered that one great knock. he had great technique though :D

venom2011

Club Cricketer
South African quick Mfuneko Ngam. Made his debut against NZ after destroying local batting attacks. He was quicker and more lethal than Allan Donald. He regularly bowled around 150Kph-160Kph and could swing it both ways.

On his debut against NZ he had a catch dropped by Cullinan off his first delivery, a 152Kph out-swinger.

He played three tests and then broke-down with a stress fracture. He suffered a few more stress fractures soon after recovery, due to a calcium deficiency. Played locally a few years later but he was no where near what he used to be. sad sad sad.....

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
yea I remember reading his stats and his profile on cric info. He could have been something special, too bad he broke down.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Was just looking at statsguru and there are loads of players who've only played one game, many more than I thought there would be, that's for sure!

One guy I clicked at random has gotta be worth a mention.

Jack MacBryan, made one appearance for England vs South Africa in 1924 but never made it to the crease in a rain effected game. Being a batsman he didn't bowl either and looking at the scorecard he didn't take any catches.

Here's another

Percy Twentyman-Jones made one appearance for South Africa vs Australia in 1902 but was dismissed twice without scoring. He also represented South Africa in Rugby and Football.

At the other end of the scale success wise (well for 1 hit wonders anyhow)

West Indian Andy Ganteaume scored 112 against England in the first innings and didn't bat in the second. (He's a good one to remember for pub quizes)
Naveed Nawaz of Sri Lanka has an average of 99 made in his only test having scored 21 & 78* versus Bangladesh in 1973

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread