Dark Souls - Anyone?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
May as well stick a post for what is probably my favourite game ever made (I've played a lot of them as well). It's the sequel to Demon's Souls, maybe my 3rd favourite game of all time :p

Anyone here playing/play it? It's brutally hard, but also incredibly satisfying, and once you start playing it the right way, it's just one of the most richly rewarding RPG's you'll ever play.

The combat makes Skyrim seem like a dated game from 20 years ago, whilst the customisation and levelling is incredibly obtuse to pick up, but filled with depth and flexibility.

So, yeah, anyone played it? I'm currently creating my 5th character, which will soon become 6th as I've got some good ideas as to how to really optimise my next character for PvP as well as PvE. If anyone picks it up, and is just plain baffled by the lack of any useful information, feel free to ask, and I'll pass on some souls wisdom ;)

As a game, it relies on you asking people for a bit of help and as such breeds a really helpful and enthusiastic community. So yeah, someone buy it ;)

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I wanted to die after playing it at a friend's house. I bought it on the way home from his, top game :p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
What character did you go for?

Currently running around in Anor Londo helping people take out O & S (or Laurel and Hardy, Penn and Teller, Fat and Slim etc...) Current character is a dexterity/faith hybrid.

Almost reached SL120, at which point I'll stop levelling him with his stats around Vitality 40, Endurance 35, Dexterity 40, and Faith 40. Everything else pretty much at starting values. A nice Iaito +15 and plenty of buffs for it.

I just love Anor Londo, probably one of my favourite levels I've ever played in any game ever.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Absolutely loving my Iaito by the way. Katana style sword you get from a tricky jump in Blighttown. First time I made a strength based warrior, but spent too many points in the things I didn't need. I liked my Lightning Zweihander +5, but I much prefer the quick move set of the Katanas.

Faith/Warrior is a good one to make early, cos you can do a suicide run into Drake's Valley to grab Astora's Straight Sword, which will do nicely for most of the early game.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Potentially now coming to PC as well.

I will buy it again. That's how good it is.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Sounds right up my alley, but I don't own a current gen console. I might get one when I move in august though and this game will probably be number 1 on my list.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Definitely dude, be able to pick it up pretty cheap then as well :)

When you load it up and are no doubt are completely baffled by the complete lack of any useful information in game, I'll be here to set you on your way to many, many deaths... :spy

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
But not having had a console for so long I also have a back catalogue of games on the list. FF 13, skyrim etc. etc.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
It's so much better than Skyrim it makes me a little bit depressed that Skyrim will sell a million more copies.

It's basically got the z-lock Zelda style combat system but with far more depth and if it was made by someone who didn't like you, not by a company who want to cuddle you.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Why do you suck :)

What help do you need ;)

Let's just say I'm a bit of a guru on another site I use. Although recently my Sunbro covenant attachment and golden white summon sign has been replaced by my Red Eye Invasion Orb and a string of conquests from Sens to Anor Londo heh

Edit// Also, you are now my favourite person on the forum because you're clearly cool, and have excellent taste :)

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Haha, I'm guessing he had not played Demon's Souls first :p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
@ Dondogz, what class did you start with? Whereabouts you up to? What sort of gear you using? Etc...

As I said, any questions and I have plenty of advice and as much or as little in the way of spoiler help that you want ;)

Must have helped well over 200 people in co-op now and closing in on 150 successful invasions muhahaha

Think my favourite character is my faith/dexterity build.

Can't beat an Iaito +15 with the Darkmoon blade or Sunlight Blade buff applied for some PvP, and just shove some fire pine resin on the rest of the time because it looks cool heh

Also go with a light armour character now so I don't need to use the Darkwood Grain flip ring all the time. Like being able to stick the hornet ring on :D

Which isn't to say I'm not also a big fan of my SL 60 invasion character who has just enough intelligence to cast Chameleon and then pumped the hell out of Vitality and made an elemental Uchi to keep my strength and dex at just 14 whilst still doing good damage.

Last edited:

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sorry about that :p I never got up to answering your question!

I'm not that far into the game tbh, started off as a Deprived via a mates advice. I only just recently got up to the Darkroot Garden. I was getting by some lizard and I was like stuff that haha. Haven't been too bothered with my PS3 lately with exams and all, but I'm hoping to get back into it in the next day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread