DBC 14 PC gameplay overview with latest patch?

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
I am planning to return playing this game again after my final exams. I just saw that the PC version got the latest update 1.14 (probably) with many improvements etc. Can someone give me an overview of how the game has progressed so far in terms of game-play experience as of latest update? How much the problems got fixed and the game has tuned and what is that still remains?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Things are very nice with run rate, difficulty and shot selection, but there are slightly too few edges, and not enough variation between batsmen when it comes to ability and characteristics.

adikal

Club Captain
Things are very nice with run rate, difficulty and shot selection, but there are slightly too few edges, and not enough variation between batsmen when it comes to ability and characteristics.

Can you elaborate more on the AI pacing in shortened formats, such as T20?

That is my main issue with the game (I'm playing on PS3 with latest patch - 2.5 or whatever it was) -- where the AI in a T20, playing on Veteran difficulty, couldn't pace its run-chases properly, often batting poorly and losing from an otherwise winnable position. Hoping it has improved since then.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
my main issue with the console version is the field placings and the outfield (or ball) speed. there are other things I would like to see done but they'd be whole new areas my main problems are.

1. the bat crowding fielders when you block and just moving fielders to where you hit your last boundary. I had to score the next 50 runs of a hundred in singles because the only fielder not on the rope was a single guy at midwicket. other than that it was all long on, deep extra cover and about 4 guys standing next to each other on the leg side. ridiculous and made the game a total bore with no shot selection needed (anywhere was a single) and removing the thrill of hitting boundaries. furthermore, no matter how many times my batting partner slogs the ball on the cut shot the computer never puts a man at deep point. it just doesn't care about the computer doing the same.

2. I get they put friction in the field up, but why? or at least it could be compensated with changes in the ball speed when you're batting against the fast bowlers (afterall, hit a fast ball with a bat it will go faster than hitting a slower ball due to momentum and energy transfer) it just means you can never hit a boundary off a fast bowler because the timing becomes harder for the quicker guys. you can spend all night murdering medium pacers and spinners as you can time it much easier, but a fast bowler will be all 1s and 2s. this is so unlike real life where fast bowlers have to maintain control because often just getting a touch can send the ball racing to the boundary. and with the stupid friction balls just slow down and stop a few feet from the rope.

I'd also like the cut shot sorted out, it's the hardest shot to hit making a rank, wide long hop hard to hit when in reality it would be easy runs.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
my main issue with the console version is the field placings and the outfield (or ball) speed. there are other things I would like to see done but they'd be whole new areas my main problems are.

1. the bat crowding fielders when you block and just moving fielders to where you hit your last boundary. I had to score the next 50 runs of a hundred in singles because the only fielder not on the rope was a single guy at midwicket. other than that it was all long on, deep extra cover and about 4 guys standing next to each other on the leg side. ridiculous and made the game a total bore with no shot selection needed (anywhere was a single) and removing the thrill of hitting boundaries. furthermore, no matter how many times my batting partner slogs the ball on the cut shot the computer never puts a man at deep point. it just doesn't care about the computer doing the same.

2. I get they put friction in the field up, but why? or at least it could be compensated with changes in the ball speed when you're batting against the fast bowlers (afterall, hit a fast ball with a bat it will go faster than hitting a slower ball due to momentum and energy transfer) it just means you can never hit a boundary off a fast bowler because the timing becomes harder for the quicker guys. you can spend all night murdering medium pacers and spinners as you can time it much easier, but a fast bowler will be all 1s and 2s. this is so unlike real life where fast bowlers have to maintain control because often just getting a touch can send the ball racing to the boundary. and with the stupid friction balls just slow down and stop a few feet from the rope.

I'd also like the cut shot sorted out, it's the hardest shot to hit making a rank, wide long hop hard to hit when in reality it would be easy runs.

1. Agreed, Defending two balls both close in fielders come in...Fielding surely needs tweaking which I think will be on the top of the list for Patch#3...AI vs AI is a different game all together because no impact on changing field regardless of the overs bowled and the situation...Like you said the fun is lost because of this...

2.Another thing which needs to go with a realistic approach as it happens in life...Hitting a straight drive needs to travel faster and so does a ball which goes behind using the pace...But the case in the game is that totally dependent on timing and footwork which is not the way it happens in real life all the times...
-Top edges off bouncers and sweeps [bad timing or trying to sweep where there's extra bounce]
-Edges through slips to four, or atleast 2, 3.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think that people really need to calm down on the realism, it's a video game after all you can't replicate everything that can happen with precision. Every game of cricket ever played is different from the last.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I think that people really need to calm down on the realism, it's a video game after all you can't replicate everything that can happen with precision. Every game of cricket ever played is different from the last.
I am not talking about replicating, I am talking about coding values based on the realistic scenarios rather than fully depending on the timing and foot movement...

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I wasn't talking about you anyway

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

yeah, but when the computer AI lines the ropes with fielders to block boundaries it's doing that to replicate realism. the AI in that instance is meant to be reacting like you'd expect a cricket captain to react when they have a set batsman at the crease. but it's a bad replication of realism, it would be better if they even removed the pretense.

similarly, being able to hit 4s is not mainly to replicate realism, yes though it would be more realistic if you could. it's about having fun, people don't play cricket games to be bored to death by flicking 50 singles in a row, they play them so they can smash boundaries through point, glide cover drives between and so on. That the game goes out of its way to make what's fun about cricket difficult to achieve is just bad game design.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
[HASHTAG]#justsaying [/HASHTAG]:p
:lol But I have seen this game as something that can make us improve the game in real life as well and that's the I play the game as well...Similar to the army games where you do improve your eye power to spot the enemies similarly this game needs to go in a way to make new one know the game and the known ones get better at it even in real life...Maybe that's the reason why the game frustrates me from playing it, the sliding of the batsman across and the FOOTWORK [serious problem according to me in the game as many may say its fine but for me its not] even when I point the footwork correctly but he goes the other way :mad...There are many stuffs which make me play but when these irritating stuffs come in the way of enjoyment it takes all the fun out for me...

grkrama

National Board President
the prob is mainly based that foot work is also depedent on timing a lot.. this is epecially noticeable only in legend level as the timing window is too early and anyone not premeditating everything will end up timing late or too early and thus the foot work will always be imperfect at legend level.. to a high degree than other levels.

the sliding around or stump exposure doesnt occur much in other levels like pro or veteran cause of larger windows of timing.

A good solution that has been suggested before by tj and myself would be to move the timing window a bit later in the bandwidth rather than increasing it for legend difficulty.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
the prob is mainly based that foot work is also dependent on timing a lot.. this is especially noticeable only in legend level as the timing window is too early and anyone not premeditating everything will end up timing late or too early and thus the foot work will always be imperfect at legend level.. to a high degree than other levels.

the sliding around or stump exposure doesn't occur much in other levels like pro or veteran cause of larger windows of timing.

A good solution that has been suggested before by tj and myself would be to move the timing window a bit later in the bandwidth rather than increasing it for legend difficulty.
I agree with that but even some well timed shots he goes sideways for a straight drive "L" shaped...What I would like is the batsman to remain where he regardless of bad foot movement or timing rather than sliding...Have got out many times leg glancing where the batsman slides a bit out to off stump and leg stump gets exposed..

Elaborate a bit please...

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
timing and the ball position and batsman is the reason that happens...in dbc we cant play a particualr animation like in previous games as there seems to be a lot of variations for each shot and its chosen by the system based on the factors.

right now in legend difficulty you have to play the shot just as the delivery is released from bowler's hand or even before as opposed after the delivery release and seeing and judging the ball. so if the timgn window cn be moved to a postion were we are able to play shots as we judge the ball it would be great as well as reduce the sliding around etc.

Users who are viewing this thread