Dec 16-20: 3rd Test - Australia v England at Perth

Anyone think Finn should get dropped if he does not improve his economy. He got 2-86 in 15 overs at 5.73 rpo. I like him, he's one for the future but its not helping that like Swann puts pressure on one end and he bowled utter ████ to Hussey but still picks wickets which might keep in the team for Melbourne. If England pick 2 spinners for Sydney Finn will be the one to go.

O MY GOD. A MIRACLE. Johnson didn't get wides in 2 overs. Hopefully he can continue that and get wickets.

So far this series it seems like the 1st innings total all have been below 300 around the 240-260 mark.

So, who reckons that Australia should have their bowlers open the batting? They're playing much then the original opening batsman!

Against a somewhat less new ball........................

Owzat added 4 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Anyone think Finn should get dropped if he does not improve his economy. He got 2-86 in 15 overs at 5.73 rpo. I like him, he's one for the future but its not helping that like Swann puts pressure on one end and he bowled utter ████ to Hussey but still picks wickets which might keep in the team for Melbourne. If England pick 2 spinners for Sydney Finn will be the one to go.

Nope. ER is relatively irrelevant in Tests, it's wickets that count. I'd rather 2/86 off 15 overs than around 0/45 off 15 overs.

Finn 41 wkts @ 24.98 (ER 3.81, SR 39.32)
Broad 99 wkts @ 35.24 (ER 3.13, SR 67.61)

I know which I'd rather have in the side, even allowing for Finn's SR inevitably climbing.

Well there was uncertainity about the third seamer for England but Tremlett just rocked the Aussies.
Hope Siddle and co. will do better than England's bowler.

Johnson looks like he's trying the fired up angry thing, hope it doesn't go to his head.
He bowled well, and he does need a bit of grr in his game, but let's hope he doesn't go the way of Watson.

Ponting chance wasn't a chance. Watch it on the slowmo again very carefully. It hits Strauss' glove after he lets go of the bat, and would therefore not be out.

Admitedly, the umpire would almost certainly have given him out, but presumably, Strauss would have reviewed it and got it overturned.

Of course, that is irrelevent because Ponting seemed to be frozen solid.

He picks up wickets frequently (as showed by Owzat), so got no issue with him, plus he clearly had a niggle for most of the time today.

D-Day for Australia's all pace attack (and possibly also for War).

Amen

Mark added 0 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

He picks up wickets frequently (as showed by Owzat), so got no issue with him, plus he clearly had a niggle for most of the time today.

yea but if Tremlett stays in top nick from now on, I think Finn would have to make way for Broad.

Finn looked really awful yesterday, and yes I know he was a bit injured. But he was exceptionally pathetic during the 2nd session. Barely scraping 80 mph

More than Finn surely, and Broad does hold a bat semi decently incase there is a collapse.

Pretty good day really. A shame we let a hack like Johnson score runs, but surviving that last bit of the session with the bat is huge.

Australia, 4 man pace attack? Let's see what you got.

^And it was a cut shot :D Short boundary at that end - they measured the 6 at 62m.

Johnson is swinging the ball!

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oh my god. /Usher

Makes you wonder what the hell Troy Cooley and the staff have been doing all this time? Do they only try and fix problems once a player is dropped? Seems so stupid that Mitch has been bowling erratically since the 2009 Ashes and only now have they put him under intense scrutiny in the nets? Makes me angry when he suddenly gets some coaching for a week and abracadabra he's swinging the ball off a straighter run and following through down the pitch. Should have happened ages ago...:mad

Nope. ER is relatively irrelevant in Tests, it's wickets that count. I'd rather 2/86 off 15 overs than around 0/45 off 15 overs.

Can't agree with that. In isolation, yes you'd rather the 2/86, but you bowl in partnerships and as a team - not by yourself. As an Aussie fan, I'd love for someone who had a lower economy because guys like Siddle and Johnson serve up a 4 ball every over or 2 and it just kills any pressure that's being built up. The best Aussie series of recent times was the SA tour of 2009 and it's no coincidence that there were plenty of maidens bowled and I think all the bowlers went below 3 an over.

As for Broad v Finn. Broad did a very good job of stifling Australia early in Adelaide, and that allowed Anderson to reap the benefits of that pressure. Finn strikes randomly, but you sense that the batsmen like him coming on because they know he's going to drop one onto the pads or pitch a half volley more often than the others.

Ponting chance wasn't a chance. Watch it on the slowmo again very carefully. It hits Strauss' glove after he lets go of the bat, and would therefore not be out.

Admitedly, the umpire would almost certainly have given him out, but presumably, Strauss would have reviewed it and got it overturned.

Of course, that is irrelevent because Ponting seemed to be frozen solid.

Did you see hotspot afterwards? It clearly showed the ball coming off the bat handle (and little bit of the bat shoulder), and then Strauss' glove (which was off the bat) slowing it down after that impact. That's why Ricky didn't move forward, it looked like the one impact from his position and he thought it would travel accordingly. And playing devil's advocate, given that it probably would have carried to Ponting if not for Strauss' glove, couldn't Strauss have technically been given out for obstructing the field? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread