Dec 16-20: 3rd Test - Australia v England at Perth

P

pcfan123

I think it was more to do with the conditions and pitch than any magic from Johnson. he was getting swing and bounce but he was bowling the exact same arm and head position as in Brisbane. He's still crap in my book and I bet he returns to being crap when he gets little assistance from the pitches at Sydney and Melbourne

Swann alone will win England Sydney, not worried, even if England manage to lose this one.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
No way sir. ENGs top order where defeated by the hint of swing Johnson got. Its not like any of their dismissals where due to bad shots, it was all Johnson.

On Colly, yes his position is definately in trouble now.

So Cook's flailing drive wasn't a poor shot? Colly missing the ball by several inches (6?)? KP should've got bat on his lbw, Trott is probably the only one who got outdone by the length and the late swing.

P

pcfan123

but you have to admit Johnson was swinging the ball as if he was bowling in England. I didn't see anywhere close to that amount of swing from Anderson on Day 1.

This is also why I think it's a one off and not a consistent threat from Johnson because odds are he won't get that kind of swing again.

War

Chairman of Selectors
So Cook's flailing drive wasn't a poor shot? Colly missing the ball by several inches (6?)? KP should've got bat on his lbw, Trott is probably the only one who got outdone by the length and the late swing.

No Cook's dismissal wasn't a poor shot. That the kid of dismissal if you remember that has been casuing Cook headache for the past 4 years. In the 1st two test to date he seem to have eradicated the problem.

Johnson got just enough late otuswing the made Cook drive go to gully. If it wasn't for that movement, Cook had it covered & would have hit that through cover.

Collingwood also was beaten by late inswing, which is why he missed it by several inches. Live when most people including the commentators saw it, that swing wasn't seen. But when Ponting reviewed it, we saw how late it swung back.

Everyone in the top order that he got out was undone by the late inswing.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Wikipedia has this to say about the mechanics of swing bowling:

"The essence of swing bowling is to get the cricket ball to deviate sideways as it moves through the air towards or away from the batsman. In order to do this, the bowler makes use of five factors:

* The raised seam of the cricket ball
* The wear and tear on the ball
* The polishing liquid used on the ball
* The speed of the delivery
* The bowler's action"

All of these require there to be no lateral rotation of the ball. Wikipedia is not the be-all and end-all of reference sources I grant you, but can anyone suggest a mechanism by which swing can be imparted with a scrambled seam? It seems to happen a bit in football, especially with that stupid ball they used for the World Cup, but in that case it's in entirely random directions (intentional curve makes use of spin).

The only one that springs to mind is a strong wind...

P

pcfan123

When does "swing" become "drift"? cause I thought a scrambled seam moving in the air is usually drift for a spinner.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Not all that surprised to see Johnson step up. He's obviously a class player and always seems to perform well at Perth. That said we let them get too many considering they were 69/5. There were also some soft dismissals playing at the wrong ball and trying to force off the backfoot without accounting for the extra bounce.
To have any chance we need to bowl them out second innings with a lead of fewer than 300.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I didn't look up drift because it's not relevant to Johnson. My understanding is that drift is mostly about wind, and is why spinners prefer to bowl into diagonal crosswinds (especially when the crosswind is in the opposite direction to their spin). There may also be an element of traditional swing involved, and the third mechanism would be if the spin they imparted caused the ball's trajectory to bend (I believe the American game equivalent is the 'slider').

Boundaries

Club Cricketer
Not a great day, but hey we're England, we never do anything simply. I'm a little perplexed at the stick our batsmen our getting. Yes, we had a bad day, but we have had a great series with the bat so far. Johnson at points today really was unplayable.

There always has to be somebody under the firing line and it seems that's now Colly. If most people got their way we wouldn't have KP and Cook on the series so, meh, everyone goes through bad form. No need to disrupt a side that is working well as a unit lately.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Called it before the series that we should drop Colly/stop picking him after the Ashes and was rounded upon by many saying I was being silly and unreasonably harsh.

Some people hath changed their tunes.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
will be interesting to see how englands bowlers find it now all the numptys are out. (well apart from Smith SURELY he'll be coming at 7 after Haddin)

D

Dutch

It is so typical to see the English supporters rip into their own players all the time. Give 'em a break. They have been playing so well and we praise them into heaven when they do and shove them to hell when they don't. I think it is great that we have to fight for this darn thing. That is what it is all about. Winning the ashes should cause a few heart attacks on the way!

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Man, Mitchell Johnson you beauty! :D Haven't seen him bowl like that for quite a while now. I hope this is his 2nd wind and not a one-innings thing, cos there isn't anything I would like more than to see him and Steyn compete for the top spot again.

I think England have had a rude wake-up call, and a much needed one cos the success was going to everyone's head, none more so than the ppl at five live. Mind you though, it did take an impressive spell from Mitch to do so, so England shouldn't get too dis-heartened.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
You can't fault too many of the batsmen. They were got out by Johnson. He becomes a different bowler all together when the ball swings, plus he swings it late as well.

We need some wickets tomorrow for sure, but without a spinner in the Aussie, line-up 300-350 should be chase-able on the last day.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
Finally the series has come alive again with Aussie fightback. I don't know who to support. I started off supporting England, but watching Johnson's bowling yesterday changed my mind!

Users who are viewing this thread