*Detailed* Questions and Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
Questions:

1. Can every bowler in the game bowl those 'special deliveries'? For example, I created an off-spinner in CA and he has the option of setting his 'leg-break' abilities - which doesn't seem real. In other words, selecting a specific type of bowler (e.g. an off-spinner) doesn't restrict certain bowling deliveries, e.g. the leg-break. Can every bowler bowl all kind of deliveries? What's the difference then?

2. What determines the pace of a fast-bowler? Does his height/build have a serious impact on his pace? (I apologize if this already has been answered but I couldn't see its option in my brief stint with the CA). In other words, I can see the skills allocated to bowl an off-spin for an off-spin bowler. These varied skills will determine how different bowlers will generate different amount of spin. How the pacers will get different speeds then?

3. We know that AI is very intelligent in DBC'14 (believing on what you guys have told us so far) but to what extent, is yet to be answered. Can you kindly give us an example of a match that you played against the AI and with its abilities to judge the match situation, it totally bamboozled you? It would be great to tell us a story-type scenario for that :)

Thanks for you time, MikeM :)

1. You can up all those delivery types, I suppose the way we've set it up because you rotate the LAS right or left it allows you to spin the ball either way, now depending on the style of bowler you have set up leg/off left hand/right hand will have a maximum affect you can have on the ball when trying to do deliveries not associated with that type of bowler. It's probably not as clearly set out as it could be in the academy.

2. Attributes affect his speed, run speed, arm speed, throw accuracy is in there as well. I can't remember if anything else has some bearing - height/build will mainly affect where the ball is being delivered from a tall bowler will be able to bang the ball in more than a short guy that can skid the ball on a lower trajectory.

3. I'll have to answer this one later, as it would take a bit of time to detail - but I will come back to it probably on Monday though.

----------

1a. Are we able to dictate the batting order the CPU uses? For example, if we are playing England in a Test match, we wouldn't want to be playing their ODI lineup.

1b. Are we restricted to the default batting lineups, or do they just act as a base from which we can further chop and change?

2. Any plans to introduce sweatbands for bowlers?

1a - The big thing with the batting order, because you can name them what you want, we cannot use that as an indication of what lineup should be used when, also, with the amount of match types you can create (i'm pretty sure 10's of thousands). So we look at the lineups review skills/mentality of top/middle/lower order and based on that can work out what that lineups likely game type will be, aggressive type batsman at the top limited over matches a more balanced lineup and then that would be used in multi innings games.

1b. I can't remember the exact number of lineups you can have 8 maybe, but you can then fine tune before a match as well, but that would just be a for that match change, it would be saved.

2. No sweatbands this time,

superfreddie

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Hi Mikey, thanks for this, here are my questions.

1) In CA is a left handed finger spinners stock delivery a leg break or offbreak, there has been a bit of confusion over this on here.

2) Is the off break rating for a right handed wrist spinner essentially his googly rating and should we set this as zero if he can't bowl a googly.

3) Similarly is the leg beak rating for a right handed finger spinner a doosra.

4) I think it was mentioned by someone briefly, but without an accuracy rating for bowlers how will ai differentiate between a bowler like McGrath, line and length nearly every time, and a bowler like Mitchell Johnson, spraying it all over the place like a broken shower?

5) Should we only give slider and flipper ratings for wrist spinners as they are generally regarded as the only type of spinners who can bowl these.

Would love to have these cleared up, because as you have said you want our created teams to essentially be the default teams through downloading.

Last edited:

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
Is there a way to have batsman who are compulsive hookers, for example? (or never hook?) Will batsmen play to their strengths? If a guy has a high rating for front foot but low for back foot, does that just mean he's better at one than the other or does it mean he will actually attack more on one and defend more on the other as well?

Mentality will help effect this - so if you set up someone's flat bat skill low, but he has an aggressive mentality - you bowl a short ball at the right spot he might still play for that shot. Have you field set right and you could then get your man. if he's a conservative batsman he's more likely to leave it if possible.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Are you allowed to shed any further light on the catching mechanics?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Can you tell about fielding mechanism and controls in the game like how to dive, slide passing on the ball to throw , catching a ball [in slips, keeper, high catches near boundaries ]??:)

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
The players on default teams are all so good! Even players at teams like Derbyshire have 1 or 2 skills maxed out, will they all be this good when the full game releases?

They'll be slightly different in the final game, but our hope is that many of the teams that you've created will become the default teams though as people download them.

Oregonian

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
Hi, i would like to ask about the bowling action. Is there variety in bowling styles i mean we will be able to experience many different bowling styles or there will be lots similarity in the bowling actions ?? what about the batting styles or stance ??? Is there any option in DBC 14 or in the future CA where we will get an option to choose a batting or bowling styles. Kind regards

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
1. Will all the bowlers bowl reverse swing or only a select few will bowl it effectively? Traditionally only quickest of the bowlers have the ability to bowl reverse swing? will this be reflected in the game?

2. Does the batsmen have the ability to change the shot at the last moment? Will he able to get across after the bowl has left the bowlers hand for example?

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
Even if I bowl according to the field,Will the batsman get innovative with his shot selection like moving on the crease or try to hit on the off when the field is set for on-side??:)

The AI will try different things - it certainly doesn't just blindly hit to a fielding cordon on one side of the pitch. there is enough crease movement and shot options to cover what they need to do.

----------

Is there sledging in game by fielders?

I can't talk much about sledging, it's more provocation than sledging, so animations etc. than it is verbal.

mikeymerren

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
a) In the BARS video (the one with the LBW :p) we could see the batsman sliding/gliding on the crease to get into a position before playing the shot. Does that happen on hard difficulty levels as well or only on easy levels?

b) The bowling controls for a spinner states that the direction in which you move the LAS would determine the direction of spin. So if we choose a direction which is opposite to the bowler's style (e.g. googly for a leg spinner), will it show a change in the wrist position and the release of the ball.....or will everything still look like its a regular leg spinner?

c) We have read that the RAS is used to control the bat. Can you tell us a bit more about this? Will the bat mimic the RAS exactly? How does it work? Can we control the backlift?

d) We have read that the LAS is used for feet movement? Could you elaborate a little more on this.

e) How do the defensive and attacking triggers work? If I dont press either of the two triggers what kind of a shot would the batsman play?

f) What are the benefits of fielding manually as opposed to AI fielding?

g) What kind of unorthodox shots are available in the game? Can we choose a particular type of unorthodox shot or is that decided by the AI?

h) What is legacy mode ;)

a. it's an easy level thing -but I'd say it's a lot less than on the video, we help the player get to the ball on those levels - harder levels you get no help, if you don't get you foot placement in the right line - then you'll more than likely miss the ball.

b. This is a hard one - because you can spin the ball in either direction while running in, we already have to determine the animation the bowler is using. so it doesn't have those small changes to hand position. I hope this is things we can do on PS4/Xbox One.

C. not sure what's been explained on this, but the RAS determines the direction you want to hit the ball, not the back swing/forward swing of the bat.

d. It's all about getting your foot movement in line with the ball. Think this is better for people to play rather than me explain.

e. No triggers will give you a standard cricket shot, hit sweetly and you'll get them away to the boundary. pulling down on the defensive trigger, will move back from that distance to allow you to effectively punch the ball to gaps or short of fielders for quick singles. Aggressive adds power, makes timing harder, and thus more likely to put the ball in the air, of course that could be something you are trying for.

f. knowing that if a catch is dropped or a run out missed, it was because you as a player did it, not the AI.

g. We will keep these shots unwraps for a bit.

h. nice try :-)

----------

a)How is the fatigue level determined: Depending on the build, nature of bowler ,the effort taken for each delivery?

b)What happens when we bowl a bowler with lower fatigue level?

c)Will the bowler bowl over and around the stumps often?

a. Attributes for fitness are the initial starting point, build has an effect on what that maximum value will mean, then what you do in game will then make the player fatigued (extra effort ball or sprinting for example) and that will have an overall affect on other attributes i.e. run speed will be affected, arm speed etc.

b. as per above it effects attributes, but also ups the chance of injury.

c. Often no, will they evaluate if they should be changing between the two, then yes.

Si1927

School Cricketer
Is it difficult to control the wicket keeper in caereer mode? Following on from this, is it fun doing so or does it get old quickly? Cheers Mikey

D

Dutch

A gentle but potentially violent reminder for people that the intention of this thread has been made very clear. Read the first post. Anything not dealing with the subject matter will be removed.

Kerrbox

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Question about the difference between the levels (schoolboy > test) and how bowling differs

because like in real life at a younger level bowlers usually get 4-5 balls on a decent line and length but then they bowl 1-2 loose ones that, if the batsman is good enough, can be capitalized on. so will we see in the game as the levels progress the ai will start to eliminate that loose delivery?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
One quick question for you MikeM...

Does the user has control over hitting the shot in the air (lofted shots) or whether the ball is hit in the air is determined by the AI similar to EA's ATE 97?

The reason I ask the question is coz when we were given info about batting controls a couple of months back, I didn't see any button for hitting a lofted shot. We were told trigger button would control power, but power is not synonymous with hitting a lofted shot as you can very well play a powerful shot which races along the ground.

Sniper

Club Cricketer
Fielding controls?.
Will the bowler field instantly after each ball?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread