difference between short handle and long handle

qwertyjjj

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What is the actual difference in length between a SH and a LH?
Not sure what my bat has... (difference in centimetres)

qwertyjjj

School Cricketer
Yes, thanks for that :)
I meant what is the actual length difference in centimetres or inches so I can measure it :cool:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Law 6 (The bat)
1. Width and length
The bat overall shall not be more than 38 inches/96.5cm in length. The blade of the bat shall be made solely of wood and shall not exceed 4 1/4 in/10.8cm at the widest part.

There is no regulation limiting the length of the handle, except that convention holds a short handle at 11 inches. As a regular bat is generally no more than 33.5 inches, so you can safely say a long handle may be between 11 and 14 inches in length, but for mass production's sake (and considering the fragility of a handle) you'd find a typical long handle to be around 12.25 inches.

qwertyjjj

School Cricketer
Can a long handle really give you that much more heave when big hitting?
The standard ones are only 3cms longer than short handle?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's more about the size of the batsman and how long the bat needs to be for him to be comfortable at the crease.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
You would probably need to order one, some manufacturers even make them to order. However, it is rather contradictory to the bat purchasing process, where you'd like to have a feel for the bat first. It'd be even worse for a long blade.

Users who are viewing this thread