Your Cricket Discuss Your Cricket

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
To those who have played some competitive cricket, I need some tips to play against left armers, both pacers and spinners. I'm a right hander with defensive style of play who generally plays with a straight bat. I find it hard to play the fuller length inswinging ball from a left arm pacer and rapped on the pads 8/10 times. Its been causing a worry for me. Against the left arm spinners, I struggle the moment a left arm conventional spinner bowls from round the wicket That said, I don't have any problems facing a right arm leg spinner who turns the ball exactly the same way a left arm off spinner does.

Note: I've an a la Ricky Ponting-esque backlift and am very good at play down the ground, drives and pull/hook shots. Sweep shot is not a part of my batting armory.

Little Punter

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I need a bit of help. I'm very comfortable against anything on the off side against the quicker bowlers but as soon as it strays onto my pads i have troubles picking up length. i always seem to be getting on the backfoot when i shouldnt be and driving when it is too short. my first instinct when it goes onto my pads is to flick but i cant time it. anyone have any suggestions as to why im having touble?

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well you just must not be picking up the ball early enough (It is a lot harder when the ball is coming right at you rather than being on the offside). If your eyesight is good, I don't really have much advice for you except to keep your eyes wide open and watch the ball closely. If your eyesight isn't great, then wearing glasses is probably the best option. I found it a lot easier to pick up the ball early wearing glasses.

And don't take my advice as pefect cause I'm a useless batsman although I do have good technique. It's strength that lets me down.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hey guys,i am trying to get leg spinners right,if any leggie is here,just assist me.I get my flight,i dont get much turn and if i turn its a flat delivery.How do i manage both turn and flight at the same time?

Fenil

I need a bit of help. I'm very comfortable against anything on the off side against the quicker bowlers but as soon as it strays onto my pads i have troubles picking up length. i always seem to be getting on the backfoot when i shouldnt be and driving when it is too short. my first instinct when it goes onto my pads is to flick but i cant time it. anyone have any suggestions as to why im having touble?

Its all about hand-eye co-ordination according to me. You need to pick the line right, if the line is right, you can flick almost anything that is not short. I've played on slow low pitches so that might or might not work for you but what I do is, pick the ball early, if its a little on the shorter side, I flick on the front foot and if its too full or if I get a touch late in picking it, I swiftly move on the back foot to flick it towards backwards square-leg or fine leg. The key is to pick the line early and unfortunately, there is no way you can learn that. Its sort of in-born. Oh and yes, you should keep the head still and the body balance right. If your head is not the line of delivery, you will play all over it or if your feet are not in the right position, you may well play it across the line.

----------

If your eyesight isn't great, then wearing glasses is probably the best option. I found it a lot easier to pick up the ball early wearing glasses.

I've -7 power in both my eyes, got a retinal detachment operation done on my right eye and still play the flick quite easily. Of course, I wear specs all the time. :p

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
I've -7 power in both my eyes, got a retinal detachment operation done on my right eye and still play the flick quite easily. Of course, I wear specs all the time. :p

-7, wow that is really strong. Are you sure?

I have -0.5 in left eye and I can barely see writing on the board without my glasses.

Are you short or long sighted?

Fenil

-7, wow that is really strong. Are you sure?

I have -0.5 in left eye and I can barely see writing on the board without my glasses.

Are you short or long sighted?

Yes, my friend. I've been wearing glasses for 17-18 years now. After the retinal detachment operation I underwent 3 years back, the power increased by 2. It was told to us by the doctor before the operation itself. Worse part was, had I not underwent that operation, I would have lost my eyesight in the right eye.

Its -7 so naturally I have nearsightedness.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
482640_475259452528851_455803007_n.jpg

Really proud to win JNTU Cup, in which around 16 top colleges participate- we managed to win this- we had a good welcome to our campus. We were posing with the trophy like how India did for their T20 WC in 2007, and we were in three cars. I was sitting out for the entire season because I twisted my left ankle right on the first day we started practicing. We had a super awesome cricket and footie seasons though, our football team managed to be runner up.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well took 2 years but after 2 wickets of constant wicket-taking, having taken the most wickets for the club (61) over the last 2 seasons (next best is 42), I finally was given my second grade debut (One Day game after last week was washed out) and didn't bat as we made 8/154 (40 overs). Then bowled first change and bowled my 8 overs straight for figures of 2/12, with 3 maidens. Wickets came from a stumping, as the ball dropped on the batsman late and he just played all around it and our keeper completed a messy stumping. Then got my second wicket when I got the ball to turn a bit and the batsman tickled it down the legside for a good catch for the keeper. And we ended up winning by 25-30 runs or something like that, with our opening bowler taking 0/5 off 8. And the end of the season now and just the finals to go and got no idea what grade I'm playing.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
So I'm bowling spin in the nets and some douchebag decides to mouth off at me. I turn round, mark out my full run-up, and send down a rapid yorker that hit the leg stump clean out of the ground. It then flew into the back of the net and got caught and stuck about a foot off the ground. Karma biatch.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Went to my native place with my brother to take part in an inter sub-community tournament and we were declared invalid. The reason: We don't live in our house at that place most of the year. Thats the most ridiculous reason I have ever heard.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Finally got a chance to carry the willow for my team and the best part was I smashed 44 off 32 while my brother scored 82 from 78. It was funny to see our captain's face. He was in no position to say anything after he opposed our selection into the team last month.

Aislabie

Ireland
Took a five-fa at the weekend. Absolutely buzzing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
To be honest, your line and length were exceptional. You look really good. Plus you seem quite tall.

Aislabie

Ireland
Six foot five. And although those are the main highlights, and there were a few loose balls, it was pretty damn good. My best spell of the season so far for sure. You can't really see the swing I was getting from that angle either.

Users who are viewing this thread