Domestic structure in your country

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
There is the 'Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy' for for domestic T20 in India (not many Indians know about it!). But in the career mode I would rather play for Mumbai Indians in the IPL rather than Mumbai in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy

But in the Career Mode, you're not only going to play in a T20 league. You have First Class, List A and T20 at the national level championships, while the something like IPL is completely different..

JasXI

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Agree to both, Whiteinness and vaibhav. Maybe Ross can shed some light here, whenever he finds it appropriate to disclose the details. I remember him saying that you could get offers from county teams being a non-English player. So, IPL and Big Bash could work by the same logic.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I'm not very knowledgable at the English setup. What defines a "minor" county?

Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Devon, Cornwall, Hertfordshire,Dorset,Cumbria, Buckinghamshire, Lincolnshire,Wiltshire,Berkshire,Shropshire,Wessex,Herefordshire,Suffolk,Norfolk,Cheshire. There are probably more but that's all I can think of ATM. Basically it's not professional cricket but the players are generally selected from the best players in the county's local cricket leagues!

D

Dutch

ok...so this is the list of teams that play domestic cricket country-wise. Green indicates that the team is available on CA, either user-created or by BigAnt Studios as default teams.

I am poor at player creation, so basically this is all I have to offer

Why some teams are in green and some in white?

Not really hard to find out......

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Devon, Cornwall, Hertfordshire,Dorset,Cumbria, Buckinghamshire, Lincolnshire,Wiltshire,Berkshire,Shropshire,Wessex,Herefordshire,Suffolk,Norfolk,Cheshire. There are probably more but that's all I can think of ATM. Basically it's not professional cricket but the players are generally selected from the best players in the county's local cricket leagues!

But so it's a step down from the second division County cricket? If so, it wouldn't be a surprise for these minor counties to not be included. Need to draw the line somewhere.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Why some teams are in green and some in white?

I think the green ones are teams that have been made by someone in CA mate.

Very surprised no one has done any Sri Lankan teams and only a handful of Pakistani teams. Big fans of cricket too!!! What about Zimbabwean domestic teams?? Does anyone know anything about those??

----------

But so it's a step down from the second division County cricket? If so, it wouldn't be a surprise for these minor counties to not be included. Need to draw the line somewhere.

Yea pretty much!! Possibly some of the better minor counties might be on par with 2nd XI cricket but you dont get pro contracts just to play in the 2nds!!!. some players have played first class cricket then when they've been released they then play minor counties!! I think Alan Knotts son played 1st class cricket, and he also played for Bedfordshire, Wayne Larkins also. It has been known for minor counties to beat the pros but its rare!! So you're probably right!!!

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
yeah minor counties are non-first class semi-pro counties.

they have their own (not first class) championship. sometimes they also have a combined minor counties side that plays a first class game against a touring side - though this is pretty rare now.

as AJH says some people play minor counties after retiring (or being released) from minor counties. some players go from minor to first class.

Durham was the last minor county to be elevated to first class status. (early 90s)

the legendary England bowler Sydney Barnes actually spent more time playing minor counties (and league) cricket and apart from tests played very little first class cricket.

I don't think they'd really fit within the "career" structure of the game - unless you didn't cut it in first class cricket and get bust down to minors! that would be some detailed game.

Lupin

School Cricketer
i really have no idea if this is helpful, but here is Zimbawes Domestic Circuit (from cricinfo):

Domestic Structure of Zimbawe:

Logan Cup (FC) / Pro50 Championship / Twenty20 Series:

Mashonaland Eagles
Matabeleland Tuskers
Mid West Rhinos
Mountaineers
Southern Rocks

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
yeah minor counties are non-first class semi-pro counties.

they have their own (not first class) championship. sometimes they also have a combined minor counties side that plays a first class game against a touring side - though this is pretty rare now.

as AJH says some people play minor counties after retiring (or being released) from minor counties. some players go from minor to first class.

Durham was the last minor county to be elevated to first class status. (early 90s)

the legendary England bowler Sydney Barnes actually spent more time playing minor counties (and league) cricket and apart from tests played very little first class cricket.

I don't think they'd really fit within the "career" structure of the game - unless you didn't cut it in first class cricket and get bust down to minors! that would be some detailed game.

Yeah Sydney preferred making money off league cricket than making nothing playing tests.

It seems different to the Australian system, where beneath each state is a district competition, centred around the state capital. Every state player (and national player) has a district team but many haven't played there for years. Players on state contracts don't get paid by the district club though. Actually the district teams don't pay too well at all. As an average but non-state cricketer you're better playing sub-districts or other local leagues. The appeal of district cricket is playing against some state cricketers though and a few retired national cricketers even. It's also the scouting ground for the state team.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mates in park
National team

Not a lot inbetween...

Don't forget the amazingly successful attempt at trying to put in place a future "First Class" structure; which shows how amazing cricket is to play in Scotland!

That actually brings up a question - more than a few Irish and Scottish players (for example; Sussex has Ed Joyce (Ireland) and Matt Machan (plays for Scotland...) playing for it); so it'd make sense for a player playing for one of those nations to have an option to play in English if they are good enough. That's assuming that an option to play as an associate nation in career mode exists; which I'd completely understand if it didn't!

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Maybe a joint Irish/Scottish league should be set up to improve the chances of players staying on to play in and for their own country? As much as I like eoin Morgan and Boyd rankin they shouldn't be playin for England.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Don't forget the amazingly successful attempt at trying to put in place a future "First Class" structure; which shows how amazing cricket is to play in Scotland!

That actually brings up a question - more than a few Irish and Scottish players (for example; Sussex has Ed Joyce (Ireland) and Matt Machan (plays for Scotland...) playing for it); so it'd make sense for a player playing for one of those nations to have an option to play in English if they are good enough. That's assuming that an option to play as an associate nation in career mode exists; which I'd completely understand if it didn't!

I think these cases are relatively rare when you consider all international cricketers, so for a first attempt I think the career mode will be a bit limited. You will still have the great satisfaction of watching your guy develop over time and progressing up the grades, but smaller components like Irish and South African players going to England may not make this version. Of course, the English team would be very weak then ;)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
That actually brings up a question - more than a few Irish and Scottish players (for example; Sussex has Ed Joyce (Ireland) and Matt Machan (plays for Scotland...) playing for it); so it'd make sense for a player playing for one of those nations to have an option to play in English if they are good enough.

It's more that they choose to play for us cos they're not good enough. I think if Machan would still be eligible to play for England anyway/ At the recent Aus match I was thinking how few of our team are actually born in Scotland at present.

Maybe a joint Irish/Scottish league should be set up to improve the chances of players staying on to play in and for their own country? As much as I like eoin Morgan and Boyd rankin they shouldn't be playin for England.

Too expensive. Cricket isn't a professional sport in Scotland.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
That's a fair point!! Ireland would have a decent side if they kept the few that've played for England.

Users who are viewing this thread