Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

sunnyd270

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Please HELP!! Can anyone tell about conditions for SEMI FINAL for MUMBAI INDIANS??

MUMBAI INDIANS

FOR 2054/215.1

AGAINST 2187 /255.1

SRH

FOR 2161/254.3

AGAINST 2068/258.1

and there is only one match before semi final.."MI vs KKR

Attachments

• 2014-08-06_00003.jpg
    2014-08-06_00003.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 15
D

Deleted member 9102

Not really important at all, but I think that the 'awards' that give you XP are a little unbalanced. You get 80XP for hitting an advance shot for six, but only 70XP for reaching a century... Noticed this while hunting a couple of achievements by putting it on Rookie.

It's kind of oddly satisfying to hit endless advance sixes and pile up on XP... I have earned the 'Advance' award about 300 times. The XP doesn't accomplish anything, but it's kind of like playing Stick Cricket, except with much nicer graphics :p.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
those are very very far from the biggest problems. this is a cricket game that doesn't know what a cricket field looks like, how an outfield behaves, or how the ball bounces off the pitch.

Blocker, do you find the game at present un-playable?

I don't mean this in a harsh way, I was just wondering.

NEPHILIM

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is it just me or did they speed up the menu music in the latest patch?.

R12hll

School Cricketer
Im playing for yorkshire in career mode but the team doesnt include international players like finch, root etc yet when i play sussex they have prior and joyce or warwickshire have bell and trott ?why doesnt the team change ? Also can i swap team around as plunkett is twelth man ?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
only one question please reply to this:
My system requirements :
2 gb ram
windows xp 32 bit
dual core processor
3.0 ghz and
no graphics card will the game work for me ? please anyone reply to this post!

I don't think it will. The game requires a minimum of 1 gig of discreet graphics memory to run. It sounds like you only have enough graphics capability to power multimedia content, so most games will be out of the question.

To put this in perspective, I have a 2 year old laptop that I experimented with to see if I could run the game. It's not a gaming laptop but it has an AMD 5 series APU 2.2ghz, 6gb of RAM with integrated Radeon 7500m GPU with 512mb of GPU memory. It runs, but the frame rate is terrible even on lowest settings.

superfreddie

Club Captain
Im playing for yorkshire in career mode but the team doesnt include international players like finch, root etc yet when i play sussex they have prior and joyce or warwickshire have bell and trott ?why doesnt the team change ? Also can i swap team around as plunkett is twelth man ?
When you start a career, the batting lineups for each team is locked and does not change. You need to change batting lineups in the academy for each team before you start a career. At present lineups do not change, hopefully bigant will bring dynamic team changes via a patch.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Blocker, do you find the game at present un-playable?

I don't mean this in a harsh way, I was just wondering.

no, i play it a lot. i find it significantly less enjoyable than previously. i find bowling all but unplayable, because the AI won't give up edges, there's no sense of bowling to a plan and getting wickets - you get hit until they decide to miss a straight one or pop it to a fielder. i find batting challenging, and occasionally rewarding but post patch 2 i'm rather restricted in shot selection because of the issues mentioned of the ball going in the air. i find the AI field settings and constant changes extremely off-putting.

if there was no academy, and i was stuck to playing with out-of-the box current gen players/teams (even licensed) i probably wouldn't still play this. the academy, and playing with older teams or my "barbarians" etc. keeps me coming back.

the game is somehow more than the sum of its parts... it somehow works overall even though the individual systems seen in isolation are often lacking or in the case of the whole AI fielding system staggeringly bad.

hell, this game has given me moments i really enjoyed, even "cherish" if that doesn't sound horrifically gay. Hedley Verity is an absolute hero of mine and I've taken wickets and scored runs "with" him... scored a double hundred against McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Lee with Trescothick; bounced out Clarke with Harmison; hit countless batsmen with Van der Bijl; re-enacted the Rebel Tours and WSC. This has all been great fun.

Maybe I'm just being miserable, but I'm starting to get more annoyed at the faults than excited at the good stuff: what's the point in hitting a batsman with a bouncer, he doesn't flinch; i only went short-ball theory to Clarke because I'd bowled 40 overs without a single edge; any long innings involves "gaming" the field with pre-meditated defensive shots so they take out the short cover and 4th slip and put in silly mid off and on, as well as continuous other field changes.

the fact of previous patches and prospect of more that keeps me eager to persevere, i think Big Ant's attitude should be applauded and I want them to succeed. however, if the game had been released and left (either in it's initial release state, or post patch-2) my goodwill would have been exhausted by now and i probably would rarely play it, academy or not. i think it was more satisfying to play post patch one than two.

the blockerdave review says:
batting: very good. the controls are excellent, intuitive and fun. the HUD changes that get you watching the ball rather than the pitch are magnificent. batting is hard, especially at higher levels, but patience and discipline are rewarded. you will get out stupidly, you will have moments of thinking it's too hard, but if you resist the urge to pre-meditate too much you can improve. patch 2 spoiled batting significantly, making the cut a shot to be avoided and making most "normal" shots go in the air, as well as turning the last 20 metres or so of the outfield into a ball-stopping tar pit that eats up even the best-timed drives. post-patch one batting was close to spot-on, though in-game feedback on when you make mistakes would be beneficial. unfortunately, the AI field settings and behaviour also detract from the batting experience, as does some AI bowling (medium pacers 50mph bouncers that hit you in the stomach but still get you out LBW because they're dropping down so much).
bowling: close, but no cigar. the controls are lovely, intuitive and natural feeling, and stops bowling being a metronomic "push-button" affair. having to remember to shine the ball is a good thing in my book, and both swing and spin are visible in the game, occasionally extravagantly so. unfortunately however, seam seems to be minimal or non-existent. overall, bowling is spoiled by the AI batting behaviour - it's middle or miss, making AI edges in the game extremely rare. there's very little sense that you can bowl to a plan and get rewards.
fielding: user fielding is as fun as i can imagine it could be in cricket, which can be pretty boring in real life. the controls are sometimes difficult to remember, but fun.
AI: in every facet, from field sets/changes, bowling changes (or lack of as they bowl the same 4 poor guys into the ground), opening bowler choices, AI batting, the AI is between sub-par and (disastrously) not fit for purpose. the AI batting is generally as the same as most cricket games in terms of being overly aggressive in shot selection, but is (post-patch 2) worse than usual in terms of it's run selection, routinely turning down easy singles. the bowler changes/opener selection are worse than i recall in other games. the field settings and changes are simply not fit for purpose and significantly worse than i recall ever seeing before - should not have passed QA.
physics: not good enough. balls that are travelling along the outfield well enough suddenly slow down precipitately within touch of the boundary. fielders have zero reaction time/momentum penalty, and can travel extravagant distances with no impact on their ability to catch/stop a ball. equally, they can walk slowly a short distance and allow an easy two where there should barely be a single. the bounce of the pitch is very wrong - some fast balls reach the keeper on the bounce or at the very least are already on the way down by the time they hit the wickets. edges are extremely rare for the AI, and for the user there is little variation in edge type (not that it matters as the keeper takes everything till about 3rd slip anyway).
academy: brilliant. the options of gameplay, the teams to download, the chance of playing with historic teams etc. is wonderful for a cricket nerd like me, and extends the life of the game significantly keeps you coming back.
sundries: sound design is lovely, the "real time" pa announcements and stadium scoreboards are lovely touches. everything else (commentary, scorecards/statistics/presentation, menus etc.) is poor and seems ill-thought out/tacked on.

as mentioned above, the game is more than the sum of its parts. on xbox and PC i have played this a lot, and don't see myself stopping any time soon. i've mentioned before the analogy of this game being like making out with a lingerie model then noticing an enormous adam's apple. i wasn't going for cheap laughs i think it's a good analogy - you can be playing and enjoying and then bam - you've got a silly mid-on and off, a short cover, a deep extra cover etc. and only one slip and it's the 3rd over of a test; or you're opening the batting in career mode and yet facing a spinner... but i keep coming back - maybe I get a bouncer and pull it through mid-wicket for four and i'm happy again - the "girl" you're making out may well have a schlong but maybe she puts out.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
if there was no academy, and i was stuck to playing with out-of-the box current gen players/teams (even licensed) i probably wouldn't still play this. the academy, and playing with older teams or my "barbarians" etc. keeps me coming back.

The irony of this is that the stock out of the box players (anecdotally since I haven't tested) seem to be more balanced and enjoyable to bowl to.

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
no, i play it a lot. i find it significantly less enjoyable than previously. i find bowling all but unplayable, because the AI won't give up edges, there's no sense of bowling to a plan and getting wickets - you get hit until they decide to miss a straight one or pop it to a fielder. i find batting challenging, and occasionally rewarding but post patch 2 i'm rather restricted in shot selection because of the issues mentioned of the ball going in the air. i find the AI field settings and constant changes extremely off-putting.

the game is somehow more than the sum of its parts... it somehow works overall even though the individual systems seen in isolation are often lacking or in the case of the whole AI fielding system staggeringly bad.

hell, this game has given me moments i really enjoyed, even "cherish" if that doesn't sound horrifically gay. Hedley Verity is an absolute hero of mine and I've taken wickets and scored runs "with" him... scored a double hundred against McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Lee with Trescothick; bounced out Clarke with Harmison; hit countless batsmen with Van der Bijl; re-enacted the Rebel Tours and WSC. This has all been great fun.

Maybe I'm just being miserable, but I'm starting to get more annoyed at the faults than excited at the good stuff: what's the point in hitting a batsman with a bouncer, he doesn't flinch; i only went short-ball theory to Clarke because I'd bowled 40 overs without a single edge; any long innings involves "gaming" the field with pre-meditated defensive shots so they take out the short cover and 4th slip and put in silly mid off and on, as well as continuous other field changes.

the fact of previous patches and prospect of more that keeps me eager to persevere, i think Big Ant's attitude should be applauded and I want them to succeed. however, if the game had been released and left (either in it's initial release state, or post patch-2) my goodwill would have been exhausted by now and i probably would rarely play it, academy or not. i think it was more satisfying to play post patch one than two.

batting: very good. the controls are excellent, intuitive and fun. the HUD changes that get you watching the ball rather than the pitch are magnificent. batting is hard, especially at higher levels, but patience and discipline are rewarded. you will get out stupidly, you will have moments of thinking it's too hard, but if you resist the urge to pre-meditate too much you can improve. patch 2 spoiled batting significantly, making the cut a shot to be avoided and making most "normal" shots go in the air, as well as turning the last 20 metres or so of the outfield into a ball-stopping tar pit that eats up even the best-timed drives. post-patch one batting was close to spot-on, though in-game feedback on when you make mistakes would be beneficial. unfortunately, the AI field settings and behaviour also detract from the batting experience, as does some AI bowling (medium pacers 50mph bouncers that hit you in the stomach but still get you out LBW because they're dropping down so much).
bowling: close, but no cigar. the controls are lovely, intuitive and natural feeling, and stops bowling being a metronomic "push-button" affair. having to remember to shine the ball is a good thing in my book, and both swing and spin are visible in the game, occasionally extravagantly so. unfortunately however, seam seems to be minimal or non-existent. overall, bowling is spoiled by the AI batting behaviour - it's middle or miss, making AI edges in the game extremely rare. there's very little sense that you can bowl to a plan and get rewards.
fielding: user fielding is as fun as i can imagine it could be in cricket, which can be pretty boring in real life. the controls are sometimes difficult to remember, but fun.
AI: in every facet, from field sets/changes, bowling changes (or lack of as they bowl the same 4 poor guys into the ground), opening bowler choices, AI batting, the AI is between sub-par and (disastrously) not fit for purpose. the AI batting is generally as the same as most cricket games in terms of being overly aggressive in shot selection, but is (post-patch 2) worse than usual in terms of it's run selection, routinely turning down easy singles. the bowler changes/opener selection are worse than i recall in other games. the field settings and changes are simply not fit for purpose and significantly worse than i recall ever seeing before - should not have passed QA.
physics: not good enough. balls that are travelling along the outfield well enough suddenly slow down precipitately within touch of the boundary. fielders have zero reaction time/momentum penalty, and can travel extravagant distances with no impact on their ability to catch/stop a ball. equally, they can walk slowly a short distance and allow an easy two where there should barely be a single. the bounce of the pitch is very wrong - some fast balls reach the keeper on the bounce or at the very least are already on the way down by the time they hit the wickets. edges are extremely rare for the AI, and for the user there is little variation in edge type (not that it matters as the keeper takes everything till about 3rd slip anyway).
academy: brilliant. the options of gameplay, the teams to download, the chance of playing with historic teams etc. is wonderful for a cricket nerd like me, and extends the life of the game significantly keeps you coming back.
sundries: sound design is lovely, the "real time" pa announcements and stadium scoreboards are lovely touches. everything else (commentary, scorecards/statistics/presentation, menus etc.) is poor and seems ill-thought out/tacked on.

as mentioned above, the game is more than the sum of its parts. on xbox and PC i have played this a lot, and don't see myself stopping any time soon. i've mentioned before the analogy of this game being like making out with a lingerie model then noticing an enormous adam's apple. i wasn't going for cheap laughs i think it's a good analogy - you can be playing and enjoying and then bam - you've got a silly mid-on and off, a short cover, a deep extra cover etc. and only one slip and it's the 3rd over of a test; or you're opening the batting in career mode and yet facing a spinner... but i keep coming back - maybe I get a bouncer and pull it through mid-wicket for four and i'm happy again - the "girl" you're making out may well have a schlong but maybe she puts out.

Best ever review and Patch2 comparison with original

D

Deleted member 9102

Agree with all of this and it pretty much mirrors my experience with the game.

There's plenty to like, but certain aspects could be so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Is it just me or did they speed up the menu music in the latest patch?.

I mentioned to Matt it felt like the overall menu screens and loading times were fractionally faster, might be placebo effect, but it did seem faster to me as well... music as well.

Users who are viewing this thread