England in the 90s

D

Dutch

Looking forward to the vids of the Windies. Hope in the next game we get some really tasting animations of guys nearly getting their eyebrows singed!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In a bit of time travel, we've gone back to Dec 1 1990, for a live stream of the World Series Cup match between England and New Zealand at Adelaide.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
:lol What the hell?

Well obviously I was so disoriented by the wrong-handed Gower I couldn’t recover...

Dunno actually. I simply couldn’t bloody time the thing[DOUBLEPOST=1587448962][/DOUBLEPOST]
Trivia : Gower is right handed. Bowls and throws right handed. He just bats left handed.

Thorpe was the same. Started batting left handed in the garden against his brothers because it meant a shorter leg side boundary and messed up their line

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ha ha! More than I get!

The only reason I played the WSC was because I made a good fist (ultimately unsuccesful) of chasing 210 in the Windies 3rd ODI so I thought - yeah I've got the difficulties about right. Not sure which of those 2 inns was the outlier - though presume the one where I wasn't shite!

Am going on with the West Indies 1991 Test series now. Hick, Ramprakash and Watkin all make their test debut. For the West Indies, Phil Simmons is opening with Haynes in place of the injured Greenidge.

I will restart the 90/91 WSC (with Gower reset to left hand!) and use that to break up the tests if the monotony of facing 4 amazing fast bowlers gets too much.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Whenever I think about that WI attack, I think about the footage of Marshall's skiddy bouncer hitting Andy Lloyd and I think "nope nope nope, don't want".

Yeah. Brutal and no respite.

Am playing 91, so it's Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson. Patterson erratic but awesome when it clicked. He'll be dropped at some point during the series for Ian Allen. Marshall already at the end of his career - think this was his last series - a bit slower but no less effective.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Marshall was an absolute master by that stage. The perfect model for a late career fast bowler.

IIRC Patterson was quickest of those four according to Dujon. A pro at my club played tests against WI a couple of years later, and said Bishop was the scariest of the mid-90s attack. Super quick, steep bounce and no apparent worries about hitting you.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Marshall was an absolute master by that stage. The perfect model for a late career fast bowler.

IIRC Patterson was quickest of those four according to Dujon. A pro at my club played tests against WI a couple of years later, and said Bishop was the scariest of the mid-90s attack. Super quick, steep bounce and no apparent worries about hitting you.

Yeah, pity about the injuries Bishop and also Tony Grey had. Would have kept the Aussies waiting a little longer to knock them off their perch I guess.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Yeah. Brutal and no respite.

Am playing 91, so it's Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson. Patterson erratic but awesome when it clicked. He'll be dropped at some point during the series for Ian Allen. Marshall already at the end of his career - think this was his last series - a bit slower but no less effective.

great stuff following this ! How has Bishop done?

Users who are viewing this thread