England in the 90s

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Yeah, pity about the injuries Bishop and also Tony Grey had. Would have kept the Aussies waiting a little longer to knock them off their perch I guess.

Not to mention a whole host of Windies players who played in the Shell Shield regional competition but never got the chance to play because many of the Windies players were "set". I watched a lot of Shell Shield in the 80s and bowlers, such as Tony Merrick, Tony Grey, Hartley Alleyne and the express Ricardo Ellcock never got a chance to shine, in the early 80s, there was a spinner Ranjie Nanan that if given a fair chance would have been a world beater.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
great stuff following this ! How has Bishop done?
So Bishop played in the 90 Tour in the West Indies. Very hard to score off but I think he was the only bowler who didn’t take a 5-get: everyone else I collapsed against in at least one inns: including Patterson and Moseley!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not to mention a whole host of Windies players who played in the Shell Shield regional competition but never got the chance to play because many of the Windies players were "set". I watched a lot of Shell Shield in the 80s and bowlers, such as Tony Merrick, Tony Grey, Hartley Alleyne and the express Ricardo Ellcock never got a chance to shine, in the early 80s, there was a spinner Ranjie Nanan that if given a fair chance would have been a world beater.

To think as well in the mid-late 80s they did without Sylvester Clarke and Franklyn Stephenson. (Alleyne too was on the 2nd rebel tour and then banned initially for life and then until 89).

Clarke and Stephenson were phenomenal

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
And Wayne Daniel and Winston Davis too![DOUBLEPOST=1587500326][/DOUBLEPOST]
To think as well in the mid-late 80s they did without Sylvester Clarke and Franklyn Stephenson. (Alleyne too was on the 2nd rebel tour and then banned initially for life and then until 89).

Clarke and Stephenson were phenomenal

It is scary to think those two didn't get a fair shake!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Brief highlights from the rain affected day 1 of the 1st Test at Headingley, 1991. The end of an era for West Indies, Greenidge's injury means he misses what was slated to be his final series, with Phil Simmons opening the innings with Des Haynes.

The start of an era for England? Graeme Hick ends his long residency wait and finally makes his Test debut, and alongside him is Mark Ramprakash. Seasoned observers expect these 2 youngsters to form the backbone of England's batting for a decade...

[DOUBLEPOST=1587508536][/DOUBLEPOST]Few notes on this, to reflect the slower over rates I've reduced the overs per day to 83. 1991 also saw the bouncer rule change, to 1 bouncer per over per batsman. You can’t do this in the academy so I've set it to just 2 bouncers per over.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great stuff Dave!

reducing the overs per day! Ha ha, classic!

The idea started as a little "gaming" - i've played 16 tests so far and though most have gone into day 4, even late into day 4 with a couple into day 5, there's never been a realistic prospect of a draw. I'd been resisting it as i thought I didn't want to game it but then i thought - it's the west indies, 4 fast bowlers - even 83 overs a day would have been ambitious!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I forgot how much I loathe playing the West Indies... relentless.

88/4 off nearly 40 overs. Every dismissal - tried to plat forward to one I should have back to, nicked off.

you start to think “why I aren’t I playing through the history of the IPL”

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I forgot how much I loathe playing the West Indies... relentless.

88/4 off nearly 40 overs. Every dismissal - tried to plat forward to one I should have back to, nicked off.

you start to think “why I aren’t I playing through the history of the IPL”

One of the reasons I liked DBC14 allowing you to play front foot shots off the back foot is that batsmen really did play like that against them, sat on the back foot the whole time. Steve Waugh got hundreds batting like that.

I think there ought to be a penalty for it compared to proper front foot drives, but I'd like the option of a back foot survival mode, just trying to keep batting and getting 1s and 2s where you can.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Unbelievable...

West Indies amass an enormous lead, and declare late on day 4.

Morning session on day 5 is curtailed by rain after less than 10 overs, but not before England lose Atherton.

Gooch, Hick and Lamb all fall in the afternoon session, but then a nice partnership from Ramprakash (47) and Smith (42) sees me stabilise. There's no * in their scores so you know I lost them both, with safety in sight, and Pringle soon after to really put the cat amongst the pigeons. But Russell and Defraitas have taken me I think 2 or max 3 overs from the draw.

Then this happened:

Users who are viewing this thread