England National football team thread

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
You're right about Barry, but that's how a diamond would help. Cram the midfield shutting off space that would normally be given away. The problem with Barry has a holder was that too much space was given in the centre of midfield but with a diamond this problem could be solved.

Then you have the fullbacks Cole and Johnson, who as wingbacks can be excellent. I know I've criticised Johnson a lot in the past, but when he plays high up the pitch pressing high up, he can be quite good. And Cole is proven quality. Both are perfectly suited to a diamond.

Rooney tends to drop deep and go flank to flank, Gerrard in a box-to-box/free sort of role can be excellent. He can drive to either flank and help on each flanks. The midfield battle would be won, and they could overload on either flank.

I think Ferdinand is too old to change now, and I can't see him being consistently in the side unfortunately, due to injuries. He has the composure and technique though to do it. Age and injuries don't help though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
You're right about Barry, but that's how a diamond would help. Cram the midfield shutting off space that would normally be given away. The problem with Barry has a holder was that too much space was given in the centre of midfield but with a diamond this problem could be solved.

Then you have the fullbacks Cole and Johnson, who as wingbacks can be excellent. I know I've criticised Johnson a lot in the past, but when he plays high up the pitch pressing high up, he can be quite good. And Cole is proven quality. Both are perfectly suited to a diamond.

Rooney tends to drop deep and go flank to flank, Gerrard in a box-to-box/free sort of role can be excellent. He can drive to either flank and help on each flanks. The midfield battle would be won, and they could overload on either flank.

Yea we both have criticised Johnson for his awful defensive form for correct reasons & yes admittedly for Liverpool of late he playing higher up the pitch as a wing-back, he has looked better.

But liverpool play 3-5-2. Thus they have defensive cover of 3, compared to the 2 center-halves you would in a diamond 4-1-3-2 formation. Which in Johnson where to get exposed defensively by a quality opposition winger for ENG in this formation - we knows whats going to happen.

However i see & agree with how the mid-field & Rooney could work in this formation (although i still would have some reservations about ENG playing without wingers). But Johnson is the problem & id probably support this idea if Neville was 5 years younger.

I think Ferdinand is too old to change now, and I can't see him being consistently in the side unfortunately, due to injuries. He has the composure and technique though to do it. Age and injuries don't help though.

Yea injuries will mean he will not be a regular during the EURO 2012 qualifiers unfortunately. But i only see him doing the role up until the EURO 2012 though. So even if he is not a regular, I seriously hope now Capello starts using him in that role once fit starting in the Wales qualifier, so that we can get the the side & Rio accustomed mentally that when playing for England - thats his new role in preparation for EURO 2012. By doing this, we can ease the recent trend where Capello, fans, journalist goes inter every ENG match wondering whats our best mid-field combo.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
In a few years, Smalling will be the new Rio Ferdinand - he was immense against the joke club the other day. ;)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Obviously he said that so that his side can play better versus the Spurs as well as others.

Auwais

International Coach
Re. Rio - It reminds me of Keegan using Southgate in the holding role against Germany in the final game at the Old Wembley, and we know how that turned out...

Playing in midfield isn't totally alien to Rio. He played there for a couple of games in 2005/06, away at Wolves in the League Cup (alongside Wayne Rooney of all people!) and away at Blackburn in a game where he was sent off and David Bentley scored a hat-trick.

I think it isn't that bad of an idea because with Hargreaves' career potentially coming to a close, there is no real natural holding midfielder available for England. Problem is, if you take Rio out of the backline, there's a distinct lack of pace unless in the unlikely event King replaces him. And with the Rio-Terry partnership, you have the archetypal coverer-stopper partnership at the back.

I know there's probably little credibility in bringing him up, considering he didn't even make the last squad, but Carrick is the most suitable player England currently have available in that role. He's played the holding role impressively many times for Utd, he doesn't put himself about as much as Hargreaves but he's better at holding his position in the middle and sweeping up any loose balls.

Could Jack Rodwell be another candidate, at least in the future? Although it's hard to define his best role. He seems to excel best in a Fletcher style box-to-box role but could his defensive attributes be utilised in a different role at international level?

I don't see Capello going for a holding midfielder anyway, he's always had a midfield duo sharing defensive responsibilities. His Scudetto winning Roma side had two of Zanetti, Tommasi and Emerson, his Juve side had Emerson and Vieira, his Real side had Emerson and Diarra. Hardly the most creative of midfield duos over the years.

I think Portugal using Pepe in that role was more down to Queiroz's rigid and unenterprising structuring of his Portugal side than anything else really.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Re. Rio - It reminds me of Keegan using Southgate in the holding role against Germany in the final game at the Old Wembley, and we know how that turned out...

Playing in midfield isn't totally alien to Rio. He played there for a couple of games in 2005/06, away at Wolves in the League Cup (alongside Wayne Rooney of all people!) and away at Blackburn in a game where he was sent off and David Bentley scored a hat-trick.

I think it isn't that bad of an idea because with Hargreaves' career potentially coming to a close, there is no real natural holding midfielder available for England. Problem is, if you take Rio out of the backline, there's a distinct lack of pace unless in the unlikely event King replaces him. And with the Rio-Terry partnership, you have the archetypal coverer-stopper partnership at the back.

I know there's probably little credibility in bringing him up, considering he didn't even make the last squad, but Carrick is the most suitable player England currently have available in that role. He's played the holding role impressively many times for Utd, he doesn't put himself about as much as Hargreaves but he's better at holding his position in the middle and sweeping up any loose balls.

Could Jack Rodwell be another candidate, at least in the future? Although it's hard to define his best role. He seems to excel best in a Fletcher style box-to-box role but could his defensive attributes be utilised in a different role at international level?

I don't see Capello going for a holding midfielder anyway, he's always had a midfield duo sharing defensive responsibilities. His Scudetto winning Roma side had two of Zanetti, Tommasi and Emerson, his Juve side had Emerson and Vieira, his Real side had Emerson and Diarra. Hardly the most creative of midfield duos over the years.

I think Portugal using Pepe in that role was more down to Queiroz's rigid and unenterprising structuring of his Portugal side than anything else really.

Solid post. Just a few comments on the bolded:

Firstly yes if Ferdinand is playing defensive-midfield. Our central defense becomes slow given that either Dawson or Jaigelka will partner Terry (since King wont ever be picked again sadly) looking ahead to Euro 2012. But those two are playing pretty nicely so although a Terry/Dawson or Jaigelka partnership could be vulnerable to pacy striker etc, i think they would make a solid enough partnership.

Secondly as i mentioned before in this thread with poster Dr.Pepper i dont think Capello trust Carrick @ international level, just as much as SAF doesn't trust Carrick in big season games for United. Scholes is still to go too man, which if Carrick IMO was the real deal, Scholes would have been a bench regular by now & might have even retired.

Carrick is poor man's Xavi/Pirlo. Too soft to control an international mid-field for me, especially England's since he would need a destroyer like Hargreaves next to him or a least a 3-man mid-field to cover him.

Thirldy yea Capello certainly does like playing with two DMs in his line-ups as you correctly highlighted in some of his past successful club teams. He certainly had intentions to do that with England, since i recall one of early friendlies he was in charge with when ENG played France:

England in Friendlies 2008

Has you can see he had Hargreaves/Barry sitting deep. Which tells me that if Hargreaves was regularly fit, that would have been ENGs mid-field base all along.

But of course he had to scrap those ideas given Hargreaves hasn't available, which is why today Capello, fans, journalist are still debating whats the best combination for ENGs mid-field :lol.

On Portugal using Pepe as DM under Quieroz. I thought he got his tactics perfect by using Pepe their. It freed up Tiago & Miereles quite well. IIR that Portugal team that played Spain in the world cup (the last time Pepe played that role) Portugal in World Cup 2010 matchday 4

That was basically Portugal best XI, only missing Bosingwa & Nani to injuries ATT.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I remember reading somewhere that Utd are going to sign Rodwell and Modric in the summer and thinking that partnership would probably be excellent. Rodwell/Wilshere isn't far off either. Has all the ingredients to work. Maybe not yet, as Wilshere can still mature and become more "efficient" in his runs.

I also read that Capello quite likes Karl Henry. Not sure what to make of that.

Auwais

International Coach
Secondly as i mentioned before in this thread with poster Dr.Pepper i dont think Capello trust Carrick @ international level, just as much as SAF doesn't trust Carrick in big season games for United. Scholes is still to go too man, which if Carrick IMO was the real deal, Scholes would have been a bench regular by now & might have even retired.

Carrick is poor man's Xavi/Pirlo. Too soft to control an international mid-field for me, especially England's since he would need a destroyer like Hargreaves next to him or a least a 3-man mid-field to cover him.

Thirldy yea Capello certainly does like playing with two DMs in his line-ups as you correctly highlighted in some of his past successful club teams. He certainly had intentions to do that with England, since i recall one of early friendlies he was in charge with when ENG played France:

England in Friendlies 2008

Has you can see he had Hargreaves/Barry sitting deep. Which tells me that if Hargreaves was regularly fit, that would have been ENGs mid-field base all along.

But of course he had to scrap those ideas given Hargreaves hasn't available, which is why today Capello, fans, journalist are still debating whats the best combination for ENGs mid-field :lol.

On Portugal using Pepe as DM under Quieroz. I thought he got his tactics perfect by using Pepe their. It freed up Tiago & Miereles quite well. IIR that Portugal team that played Spain in the world cup (the last time Pepe played that role) Portugal in World Cup 2010 matchday 4

That was basically Portugal best XI, only missing Bosingwa & Nani to injuries ATT.
See, this is the thing, if he can trust Barry or shove Milner in there at this level, than why not Carrick? When's he's not been injured, he's played the full 90 in every important game we've had this season, barring the recent Man City game when he came off the bench.

Anyway, forget Carrick for now. It's probably safe to say his England career is over. At least another good short-passing, low tempo midfielder in the shape of Wilshere has emerged.

It will be interesting to see what Capello will do when both Gerrard and Lampard are available. Hopefully he shows some balls this time and drops one of them. Fitting two high-tempo, forward dashing midfielders into the same side has been one of England's problems for the past few years.

Re. Portugal - they've been much more impressive under Bento so far, who has used a more fluid midfield trio.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I remember reading somewhere that Utd are going to sign Rodwell and Modric in the summer and thinking that partnership would probably be excellent. Rodwell/Wilshere isn't far off either. Has all the ingredients to work. Maybe not yet, as Wilshere can still mature and become more "efficient" in his runs.

I also read that Capello quite likes Karl Henry. Not sure what to make of that.

:lol I had to search that name on wiki since i never heard of him before & seeing what club he plays for i can see why.

Not sure what to make of it. But it shows again how as we have been discussing, why that defensive-midfield position is causing such an headache for Capello.

Sort of reminds me when the problem area for ENG when Capello first entered circa 2008/09 was a strike partner for Rooney before he eventually settled with Heskey. I remember him stating admiration for another unknown player in Dave Kiston.

----------

See, this is the thing, if he can trust Barry or shove Milner in there at this level, than why not Carrick? When's he's not been injured, he's played the full 90 in every important game we've had this season, barring the recent Man City game when he came off the bench.

Anyway, forget Carrick for now. It's probably safe to say his England career is over. At least another good short-passing, low tempo midfielder in the shape of Wilshere has emerged.

To be fair to Barry lets not forget before the world cup, Barry was playing quite well for Capello & McClaren as defensive mid-fielder. So Capello at least had some reason to believe in Barry's ability.

He shouldn't have tried Milner in that role as he did in those pre-2010 world cup matches. Not good enough to play mid-field at international level, just a wing option.

But yes as you said Carrick international career is likely over with the emergence of Wilshire.

It will be interesting to see what Capello will do when both Gerrard and Lampard are available. Hopefully he shows some balls this time and drops one of them. Fitting two high-tempo, forward dashing midfielders into the same side has been one of England's problems for the past few years.

I'm fairly sure he will show that balls & bench Lamps TBH.

Re. Portugal - they've been much more impressive under Bento so far, who has used a more fluid midfield trio.

I see. Haven't seen Portugal play since the world cup in a full game though (just saw brief highlights of their game vs Argentina recently), but they have lost Tiago which is one of their better mid-fielders.

Auwais

International Coach
You seriously hadn't heard of Karl Henry? A bit hard to miss his name, given earlier in the season he got a bit of press coverage and gained a reputation for a couple of challenges he made.

I've never been convinced by Barry, nor Milner. Both are expensively, overhyped Englishmen and I didn't exactly quake in my boots when City paid stupid money for them.

I hope he does bench Lampard but then I expected him to do that at the World Cup and he ended up shoving Gerrard on the left. Honestly, I'll be pleased when either one of them retire from international football so we bury this stupidly long conundrum.

With regards to retirements, have you seen Menezes' Brazil side and how many of the Dunga brigade he's left out since taking charge? I know England don't have a similar conveyour belt of talent but one day I'd like to see them make at least half the wholesale changes other teams do after failure. It's always been England's probably, whether with regards to changing the national team or changing the academy system. All talk, no action.

Portugal are well stocked in central midfield with or w/o Tiago, with the likes of Carlos Martins, Meireless, Moutinho and Veloso.

Users who are viewing this thread