England Team Discussion

Dont disagree on Patel, all I'm seeing I can see the minuscule logic as to why they might have gone for Patel as replacement.

One thing we got to cognizant about is that ENGs biggest challenge on this tour won't be the overall strength of the bowling, because as you might on previous trips to UAE/India/Sri Lanka circa 2012-2013, the quicks and spinners did well. Its the batting that crumbles - so if the scenario did arise where ENG feel they got pick 3 spinners in one tests, Patel's extra batting ability could come in handy.

No doubt its a hunch/risk selection either way.

If the recent NZ vs PAK test in Sharjah which is hosting the 3rd tests of this tour is any indication to go by, England might very well and be faced with a situation where they have to seriously consider playing 3 spinners. NZ brought Vettori out of test retirement to partner Mark Craig/Ish Sodhi just to play that test because it was such a dustbowl -
3rd Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Sharjah, Nov 26-30, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

This is where i think Ansari was being penciled to play and why as aforementioned am seeing the small logical reasons why i think selectors picked Patel.

Also i might add, i think Finn & Wood given their natural ability to reverse swing the ball should play in all 3 tests & realistically one of Anderson/Broad should play.

Anderson 13 wickets at 15.61.
Anderson and Broad are England's best bowlers, why would you have left one of them out. Don't you think Anderson can reverse swing the ball? He has got hundreds of wickets doing just that.
We should have played 4 fast bowlers and Ali.
Seam - 31 wickets at 24.58 econ 2.29
Spin - 20 wickets at 59.85 econ 4.07

Anderson and Broad are England's best bowlers, why would you have left one of them out. Don't you think Anderson can reverse swing the ball? He has got hundreds of wickets doing just that.

I think it's quite easy to criticise after the event when you have all the facts and figures, however I do agree with you. Dropping 1 of your very few world class players would be ludicrous.

If we're talking about England in the UAE, then Broad is flattered by one spell. Other than that, he was steady, not a match winner.

Obviously, I'd have him for the saffers as he'll get some bounce and swing there and Jimmy is a must for the most part. The squad is a bit weird for me, why have Compton AND Hales? Is Hales just going to carry the drinks for another 2 months? I honestly believe we could have done with Woakes or Stokes and had Rashid ,especially with the saffers being all at sea versus spinners. I'm not saying play spinners at all points in the series but at least have that option available. I thought England were supposed to be heading in a new, vibrant direction. Apart from the odd batting smash by Stokes and some ok-ish performances with the bat, there is nothing new or vibrant with him or Woakes.

Then there's the perplexing addition of Samit "never seen a gym" Patel and...where's Plunkett? Is Finn still injured? How'd Footit make it in?

My possible team (with the current squad):

1. Cook c
2. Hales (why the hell not, let him have a bash and had a different dimension to England)
3. Taylor
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Buttler wk (back off the ODI form)
7. Ali
8. Stokes
9. Broad
10. Jordan (we need this type of pace)
11. Anderson

I'd give Footitt a shot over Jordan personally and then quite possibly go for the same team you have.

If we're talking about England in the UAE, then Broad is flattered by one spell. Other than that, he was steady, not a match winner.

Obviously, I'd have him for the saffers as he'll get some bounce and swing there and Jimmy is a must for the most part. The squad is a bit weird for me, why have Compton AND Hales? Is Hales just going to carry the drinks for another 2 months? I honestly believe we could have done with Woakes or Stokes and had Rashid ,especially with the saffers being all at sea versus spinners. I'm not saying play spinners at all points in the series but at least have that option available. I thought England were supposed to be heading in a new, vibrant direction. Apart from the odd batting smash by Stokes and some ok-ish performances with the bat, there is nothing new or vibrant with him or Woakes.

Then there's the perplexing addition of Samit "never seen a gym" Patel and...where's Plunkett? Is Finn still injured? How'd Footit make it in?

My possible team (with the current squad):

1. Cook c
2. Hales (why the hell not, let him have a bash and had a different dimension to England)
3. Taylor
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Buttler wk (back off the ODI form)
7. Ali
8. Stokes
9. Broad
10. Jordan (we need this type of pace)
11. Anderson

I think they are taking Compton in case Hales goes really badly in the first couple of games. Compton can also cover any position in the top 4. I'd probably bring in Ballance instead of Buttler. Ballance has more chance of scoring big hundreds in my opinion.

Jordan doesn't move the ball and brisk rather than being fast. Wood and Finn are still injured. I'd rather see Footitt or Woakes ahead of Jordan.Footitt is quick, and being left arm gives the attack some variety. Woakes is a similar pace to Jordan these days and gets movement.

I think they are taking Compton in case Hales goes really badly in the first couple of games. Compton can also cover any position in the top 4. I'd probably bring in Ballance instead of Buttler. Ballance has more chance of scoring big hundreds in my opinion.

Jordan doesn't move the ball and brisk rather than being fast. Wood and Finn are still injured. I'd rather see Footitt or Woakes ahead of Jordan.Footitt is quick, and being left arm gives the attack some variety. Woakes is a similar pace to Jordan these days and gets movement.

Hales will open with Compton coming in at 3. All his county experience to replace Bell's Test experience.
Finn is likely to be on the tour as his recovery has been quicker than expected. He's out in UAE with the EPP. Yes I would like to see Footitt get a chance ahead of Woakes and Jordan.

Cook
Hales
Compton
Root
Taylor
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Broad
Finn
Anderson

I expect Broad to get de Villiers wicket (7 times so far, and most by any bowler) and Finn to get Amla.

I know it'll be very different conditions, but South Africa have been poor in India and I'm starting to think that we have a big chance.

SA have got big issues trying to find two decent openers. They haven't found a Boucher now that AB doesn't want to keep wicket. They've also got injuries in the seam bowling department.

I think South Africa are favourites, but not as big as I would have thought a few months back.

I know it'll be very different conditions, but South Africa have been poor in India and I'm starting to think that we have a big chance.

SA have got big issues trying to find two decent openers. They haven't found a Boucher now that AB doesn't want to keep wicket. They've also got injuries in the seam bowling department.

I think South Africa are favourites, but not as big as I would have thought a few months back.

You weren't exactly flash in the UAE vs pakistan yourself and played on better pitches

Elgar had a bad tour but he had been good before that, his issues were mostly with ashwin. Don't see england have anyone like ashwin nor SA preparing pitches like we faced in India. Second opener spot is a worry.

Yes the keeper spot is unsettled atm. Think QDK will be back is the long term solution same as butler is for england.

As for the seamers Steyn will be fit for England, pretty sure he would have played this last test in the series was still alive. Don't think he would have stayed in India if it was long term serious. Philander is touch & go whether he makes the first test but confident that abbot is more then decent backup.

Duminy is a question mark, probably doesn't deserve his spot.

Form is a worry for amla and faf but I am confident of them coming good on home conditions.

I suspect SA will try and produce hard fast wickets, preparing green seamers would be a mistake.

This is the side I would pick for the 1st test:

1.Cook
2.Elgar
3.Amla
4.AB
5.Faf
6.Rossouw
7.QDK
8.Philander* (if not fit abbot)
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

What the selectors will likely do:

1.Elgar
2.Bavuma
3.Amla
4.Ab
5.Faf
6.Duminy
7.QDK
8.Philander/Radaba
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

You weren't exactly flash in the UAE vs pakistan yourself and played on better pitches

Elgar had a bad tour but he had been good before that, his issues were mostly with ashwin. Don't see england have anyone like ashwin nor SA preparing pitches like we faced in India. Second opener spot is a worry.

Yes the keeper spot is unsettled atm. Think QDK will be back is the long term solution same as butler is for england.

As for the seamers Steyn will be fit for England, pretty sure he would have played this last test in the series was still alive. Don't think he would have stayed in India if it was long term serious. Philander is touch & go whether he makes the first test but confident that abbot is more then decent backup.

Duminy is a question mark, probably doesn't deserve his spot.

Form is a worry for amla and faf but I am confident of them coming good on home conditions.

I suspect SA will try and produce hard fast wickets, preparing green seamers would be a mistake.

1.Cook
2.Elgar
3.Amla
4.AB
5.Faf
6.Rossouw
7.QDK
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

1.Elgar
2.Bavuma
3.Amla
4.Ab
5.Faf
6.Duminy
7.QDK
8.Philander/Radaba
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

The UAE tour was far closer than the 2-0 score line suggests.

1.Cook
2.Elgar
3.Amla
4.AB
5.Faf
6.Rossouw
7.QDK
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

1.Elgar
2.Bavuma
3.Amla
4.Ab
5.Faf
6.Duminy
7.QDK
8.Philander/Radaba
9.Harmer
10.Steyn
11.Morkel

Ye ha agree with your personal choice likely squad, although I would think SA unleashing a 4-man pace attack in most of the test would literally blow ENG away and their struggles in IND would be forgotten.

What they do with Bavuma will be interesting. He is a quota pick, but did well batting out of position. So its either they say thank you Bavuma and actually pick Cook or let him continue as makeshift open?

I thought the universe had given me a birthday present when I saw on Twitter: "Ian Bell dead".

Unfortunately, just turned out to be some Scottish journalist.

What is the probable squad of England cricket team for world t20 next year in India? can anyone tell.Will finn be in the squad.Why ecb is not giving harry gurney much chances against India?

What is the probable squad of England cricket team for world t20 next year in India? can anyone tell.Will finn be in the squad.Why ecb is not giving harry gurney much chances against India?

Probably

1. Alex Hales
2. Jason Roy
3. Joe Root
4. Eoin Morgan
5. Jos Buttler
6. Ben Stokes
7. Moeen Ali
8. Chris Woakes
9. David Willey
10. Adil Rashid
11. Steven Finn

12. Sam Billings
13. Stephen Parry
14. Reece Topley
15. James Vince

I was just looking through the scorecards of the England Lions t20 tour to the UAE. 3 standout players. Dawid Malan scored lots of runs opening the batting. He also bowled some handy leg spin if his figures tell an accurate story. I've always been a big fan of his on all 3 formats and would like to see him get a chance. Sam Billings also scored a lot of runs, but he's already guaranteed his spot in the WC squad. Liam Dawson had a great tour with bat and ball. He may have put himself in pole position in the left arm spinner all rounder role, ahead of Patel and Ansari.

Other players that had decent tours were Jake Ball, Jamie Overton and Ben Foakes. I'd imagine they've all got a future with England. Especially Overton who is rapid.

Users who are viewing this thread