England tour of Sri Lanka

C

ccshopland

Ian Botham has throughout the Test Series, along with a number of other commentators, discussed the role of Robert Croft in the tour. I am a Glamorgan supporter and have been disgusted at his treatment, because I believe the England selectors and coach had absolutely no intention of playing him. Botham also backs this theory up of why bring him to Sri Lanka and not play him at all. His record abroard is excellent (something like 35 wickets in 9 Tests) and surely would have been more of an asset than the extra seamer who rarely bowls more than 6/7 overs. David Lloyd made the point that England are looking to the future (with Batty) but why is it that this theory doesn't apply to the batsmen. Essentially the batsmen are the old guard which England have always adopted at some time or another. Is he getting punished even more for his refusal to go on tour last time they were touring? Maybe. Be interested to know what the board feels about this, because if I was Croft I would say thanks but no-thanks to the England selectors.

S

steven2106

Croft should probably have played ahead of Batty but i dont think it would have made a big difference. Giles is our best spinner with Croft not far behind but neither are anything like world class and dont spin the ball at all. It is not very exciting to watch finger spinners who dont turn the ball, i really wish we could produce a good wrist spinner or at least an offie who can actually get some turn. Pick Giles and maybe Croft for winter tours but were better off packing the side with seamers in England as both Croft and Giles have very bad records in England.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
**UPDATE**

3rd Test - Close Of Play - Day Three

England 1st Innings: 265 all out
Sri Lanka 1st Innings: 563/5 (Samaraweera 142, Jayawardene 134)

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
**UPDATE**

3rd Test - Match Over

Result

England 1st Innings: 265 all out
Sri Lanka 1st Innings: 628/8 declared (Samaraweera 142, Jayawardene 134)
England 2nd Innings: 148 all out

Sri Lanka win by an innings and 215 runs and win the series 1-0.

I

imported_fastbreaker

pathetic batting display by England in the second innings.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka! They deserved to win. :clap:

N

Nirav85

The lankans(or ceylonans...lol) dominated this whole series...in this whole series england was the one always under pressure not once were the lankans pressurized...england was always on the run...the first two tests england got away at the last moment but this time, time wast on their side

Users who are viewing this thread