England

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
englandlogo.png

For discussion about the England cricket team in the T20 World cup.

Squad

Batsmen
  • Robert Key
  • Eoin Morgan
  • Kevin Pietersen
  • Owais Shah

Bowlers
  • James Anderson
  • Stuart Broad
  • Ryan Sidebottom
  • Graeme Swann

All Rounders
  • Paul Collingwood (captain)
  • Ravi Bopara
  • Dimitri Mascarenhas
  • Graham Napier
  • Luke Wright
  • Adil Rashid.

Wicket Keepers
  • James Foster

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
1. Ravi Bopara
2. Owais Shah (Key could play, but he's looked in poor form whenever I've seen him bat this year, especially in OD cricket)
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Eoin Morgan
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Graham Napier
7. Dimitri Mascheranas
8. James Foster +
9. Stuart Broad
10. Graeme Swann
11. James Anderson

Pretty strong side that. Batting down to 10 with 7 bowling options, 8 if you include Pietersen, and a superb fielding unit bar Shah. I can see Key opening though, with Morgan or Napier dropping out. Hopefully Flintoff won't be rushed back to play a nothing tournament!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
England look strange to me. KP, Collyflower and Freddie are the most experienced ones there, Anderson and Sidebottom with the ball. Broad, Bopara have some experience at Nat level, as do Shah and Key, but not enough.

I'd go with Morgan, KP, Foster, Colly, Freddie, Key, Boapara, Dimi, Anderson, Sidebottom, Swann. Just fix them into batting order, and you have 9 guys who can bat, 2 spin option, 3 seamers, and dobblers from Dimi and Colly. Looks good there. Shah misses out for me, but after the last ODI, he might deserve a spot. Maybe drop one of Key/Morgan for him. Also, if Freddie is kept out due to injury, it would be the ideal time to slop in Napier...

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
You're not going to play Broad? The man who just got a Man Of The Series award in an ODi series (albeit a 2 game one), and who consistenly bowls at over 90mph with accuracy and variation? Broad's better than Sidebottom, offers far more as an all-round cricketer and his bowling has improved immensely since that last T20 WC.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Anderson is no mug with the bat either. Personall for T20's Sidebottom is at that pace where it is there to be hit! I don't rate him in T20's to be honest.

holdenator added 1 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

I suppose his record proves me wrong though :p... In the county format 26 wickets at 17 going at 6.5 an over.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Sidebottom actually has a very good T20 record. 26 wickets at 17, going at just over 6 an over, but I would rather play Broad ahead of him, because of what Broad offers with the bat and in the field, and the extra pace that Broad offers. He bowled quite a few deliveries that read 93mph in the ODi series just gone, he's one of the quickest OD bowlers in the world atm.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'd say Broad is well behind Malinga, Edwards, Akthar, Lee, Flintoff, Johnson and Taylor for fastest bowler in the world currently, but he is still surprisingly fast.

The reserves for England are decent as well...Sidebottom, Napier, Luke Wright. Although, they too could have used a back up keeper. Or is Colly gonna do that job? :p

manee

Chairman of Selectors
1. Ravi Bopara
2. Owais Shah (Key could play, but he's looked in poor form whenever I've seen him bat this year, especially in OD cricket)
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Eoin Morgan
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Graham Napier
7. Dimitri Mascheranas
8. James Foster +
9. Stuart Broad
10. Graeme Swann
11. James Anderson

Pretty strong side that. Batting down to 10 with 7 bowling options, 8 if you include Pietersen, and a superb fielding unit bar Shah. I can see Key opening though, with Morgan or Napier dropping out. Hopefully Flintoff won't be rushed back to play a nothing tournament!

Here is mine...

1. Ravi Bopara
2. Robert Key
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Paul Collingwood *
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Luke Wright
7. Dimitri Mascheranas
8. James Foster +
9. Graham Napier
10. Stuart Broad
11. Graeme Swann

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'd say Broad is well behind Malinga, Edwards, Akthar, Lee, Flintoff, Johnson and Taylor for fastest bowler in the world currently, but he is still surprisingly fast.

Broad was quicker than Edwards and Taylor in the ODi and Test series just gone. Malinga was bowling at 140k's in the IPL, Akhtar's well past it, Flintoff's an 87-88mph bowler, so I'd say that only Johnson and Steyn are as quick, or slightly quicker than Broad in ODi cricket atm. Tait is as well, but he's only fit for 1 game every year :p. There aren't many bowlers bowling at 93mph in ODi cricket atm, Broad's in the top 3-4 in terms of pace alone in ODi's.

adyhorn

County Cricketer
I'd go with:
1. Ravi Bopara
2. Robert Key
3. Owais Shah
4. Kevin Pietersen (if fit) / Eoin Morgan (if Morgan plays Colly goes to 4)
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. James Foster +
7. Andrew Flintoff (if fit) / Graham Napier (pushed up if we need quick runs)
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

12th Man: Eoin Morgan

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
england are terrible at t20 anyway. I really can't see them doing anything once they're in the group stages, they lack the intelligence and seem too nervy for it.

I rate dimi as a twenty20 player but I have no idea what roberty key is doing in the side.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
england are terrible at t20 anyway. I really can't see them doing anything once they're in the group stages, they lack the intelligence and seem too nervy for it.

I rate dimi as a twenty20 player but I have no idea what roberty key is doing in the side.

Well guess who has the best T20I record since the last world Cup? It's England... Sure they've only played 4 games, but they won 3. (Pakistan played 6 and won 5, but 3 were against Bangladesh, Canada and Zimbabwe - so they don't count in my book).

This is why saying 'this country is great at T20' or 'this country sucks' is just stupid IMHO. For starters the games are so short, it's easy to have upsets (see Zimbabwe beating Australia at the last World Cup). One bad/good over could win you the game. Secondly, the countries have hardly played any games to judge their quality. Australia and New Zealand have played the most T20s since the last World Cup - a whopping 10 :eek: And then people say Australia don't have the experience at T20 to win the WC :noway As though those extra 15 IPL games the Indians or South Africans have instead will give their players some super encyclopedic-like knowledge of T20 tactics. It's just rubbish...

And Adil Rashid in for Flintoff?? I'm surprised, anyone else surprised?

Users who are viewing this thread