ESPN's Legends of Cricket?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
gambino said:
you guys wont understand
you guys are blinded by statistics
the way he has influenced the odi game and the way people anticipate his arrival make him a legend in itself
not only that but many more reasons

also to one of the above posts showing tendulkars stats
his 40 average against pakistan is bloated by that 194*
take that away and his average will be in high 20's

Take away so and so's innings and his average goes way down... What do you expect if you take away peoples highest scores :rolleyes:

Afridi hasn't influenced the Odi game at all, it was Sri Lanka who changed the way Odi cricket was played by opening with pinch hitters and introducing a certain Sanath to the fray. Afridi may well go down as a Pakistani legend, but a legend of the game, not a chance. The reason people point out his average is because it shows he blows hot and cold. The same thing can be said about Lara the difference is he still averages 50 odd in test cricket, and has played some of the best knocks in the history of the game, in pressure situations.

You'll be hard pressed to find many fans of the game who aren't Pakistani who think Afridi is a legend. And considering it is the fans and pundits alike that create legends that is why he won't be.

And Pal, yep at the moment India is Pontings one blip. However a big tour there when Australia are next in India will set it right.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
I've also heard then Tendulkar is a new-ball dodger & is a flat track bully.
I have no doubt Ponting would be any different now if he faced Wasim, Waqar or Donald. Back then Ponting average in the low-mid 40s and was nowhere near the quality he is now. He battled through personal issues during those periods and has become probably the 2nd best batsman Australia's ever produced.
Ponting's had immense pressure on his shoulders with the captaincy which is on par to any pressure Tendulkar has had. Really, any International captain has immense pressure because they have the pressure of that country riding on their shoulders like Tendulkar supposedly does. Tendulkar doesn't have the pressure of his spot either despite how badly he plays. If Ponting had been batting like Tendulkar has lately, he surely would've been dropped by now. It's easier to look good in a weaker team then a better team. Ponting still stands out even with 4 or 5 players batting around him with bat averages of over 50 and stands up even when their failing.
Hell, Ponting could go to India now and he'd probably average over 100 in the tour.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Take away so and so's innings and his average goes way down... What do you expect if you take away peoples highest scores :rolleyes:

Afridi hasn't influenced the Odi game at all, it was Sri Lanka who changed the way Odi cricket was played by opening with pinch hitters and introducing a certain Sanath to the fray. Afridi may well go down as a Pakistani legend, but a legend of the game, not a chance. The reason people point out his average is because it shows he blows hot and cold. The same thing can be said about Lara the difference is he still averages 50 odd in test cricket, and has played some of the best knocks in the history of the game, in pressure situations.

You'll be hard pressed to find many fans of the game who aren't Pakistani who think Afridi is a legend. And considering it is the fans and pundits alike that create legends that is why he won't be.

And Pal, yep at the moment India is Pontings one blip. However a big tour there when Australia are next in India will set it right.

next thing we know you will say flintoff is a legend and will have a episode about him :noway

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
gambino said:
next thing we know you will say flintoff is a legend and will have a episode about him :noway

Ah yes the good old, "my arguement lacks any substance, so I'll put words in your mouth" ploy.

Out of curiosity were you ever in a show by Jim Henson?

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Ah yes the good old, "my arguement lacks any substance, so I'll put words in your mouth" ploy.

Out of curiosity were you ever in a show by Jim Henson?
nope,

and i could say the same for you("my arguement lacks any substance, so I'll put words in your mouth")
did i say he is a legend already?

what i meant was by the time his career has finished his 6's will make him a legend

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
You said: "and the way people anticipate his arrival make him a legend in itself"

So don't accuse me of putting words in your mouth just because you made a grammatical error. You'll have to forgive me for assuming you meant what you wrote. I will remember in future to try and read between the lines, and make some sort of sense of your posts.

I made a well reasoned response to your rather pointless post saying, "you guys wont understand, you guys are blinded by statistics", and your response was "next thing we know you will say flintoff is a legend and will have a episode about him".

Please explain how me hinting that I think it takes far more to be a legend than just being a very good player means I was going to say Freddie is a legend? Like Afridi, Freddie will probably be a domestic legend, but he will need to match his performances from between 2003 to early 2006 for another couple of years to even get close to being a worldwide legend.

If you weren't part of Jim Henson's cast you didn't by any chance meet three Billy Goats Gruff did you?

Last edited:

pal

International Coach
Hell, Ponting could go to India now and he'd probably average over 100 in the tour.

Good point, but would you agree that we should hold off that episode until he does go to India and attempts to improve his 12.28 average?

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Well from the way Gambino views thing you could say Mal Loye could be a legend for his slog sweep of the fast bowlers or something similar.

langerrox

International Coach
Drewska said:
Well from the way Gambino views thing you could say Mal Loye could be a legend for his slog sweep of the fast bowlers or something similar.
or the sweep shot into his face, classic stroke that one.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
Cricket_god said:
I Did not wanted to get in to it but here are some facts

1-Tendulkar has played against the best of the bowlers and dominated them in their prime .while ponting has played against average bowling attacks excpet the one in england .Also fastbowling is in the decline .
2-Tendulkars stats overseas-
Team-match-runs-HS-batavg-100-50
iin Australia 12 1029 241* 54.15 4 3 7 2/10 40.14 0 8 0
in Bangladesh 3 302 248* 151.00 1 0 2 1/27 36.50 0 2 0
in England 10 1074 193 71.60 4 4 0 - - 0 6 0
in New Zealand 8 498 113 41.50 1 3 4 2/7 17.00 0 3 0
in Pakistan 10 483 194* 40.25 1 2 4 2/36 44.75 0 6 0
in South Africa 12 835 169 39.76 3 3 3 1/9 41.33 0 10 0
in Sri Lanka 6 670 143 111.66 4 2 0 - - 0 4 0
in West Indies 10 620 117 47.69 1 5 2 2/107 74.00 0 7 0
in Zimbabwe 4 240 74 40.00 0 2 1 1/19 57.00 0 0 0

so shut your mouth
:p

v India 8 172 60 12.28 0 1
Pontings record in india he played well in srilanka but in srilanka there is slow turn while in india their is bounce and turn which shows up his technique
he is no where near being the best batsman in modern era And how can you forget the great Person Called Lara.I think it always has been between lara na dsachin and lara has always won it.But as a cricketer there is nobody near him in the modern era.
why dont you show Pontings records as captain....also at the rate he is going he will score more runs than both Brian and Sachin........Ponting as a leader as well as a batsman shows he is top class

His record will be poor v India because he really hasnt had a series against them as captain....

gambino said:
what?

hes already a legend just for the way he bats the the entertainment he gives

and by the time his career is over

his 6's record will be unbeatable
so because Akram has the record for the most 6's in a test innings it makes him a legendary batsman? no one thinks of him that way

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
well i think that a player shouldnt be given Legend status untill he retires from the game. if that player is soo good but is still currently playing than he is the best at that time but when he retires and has great numbers he should be considered a Legend. there is no doubt that mos of the great players of today like Tendulkar,Lara,Dravid,Inzi,Ponting,Yousuf,Kallis are legends but they dont deserve that status untill they are gone from the game, for me a legend is Marshall, Wasim and Waqar, Imran, Bradman, Botham etc.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Punter is a crap captain. A blind dog could lead Australia and get similar results.
And yes, Legends should only be those who have retired...

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The argument about Ponting 'leading from the front with his batting so he is a fine captain' is about as pathetic as his captaincy.

Ponting = World class batsman, Club level standard captain.

Amit89

School Cricketer
wfdu_ben91 said:
I've also heard then Tendulkar is a new-ball dodger & is a flat track bully.
I have no doubt Ponting would be any different now if he faced Wasim, Waqar or Donald. Back then Ponting average in the low-mid 40s and was nowhere near the quality he is now. He battled through personal issues during those periods and has become probably the 2nd best batsman Australia's ever produced.
Ponting's had immense pressure on his shoulders with the captaincy which is on par to any pressure Tendulkar has had. Really, any International captain has immense pressure because they have the pressure of that country riding on their shoulders like Tendulkar supposedly does. Tendulkar doesn't have the pressure of his spot either despite how badly he plays. If Ponting had been batting like Tendulkar has lately, he surely would've been dropped by now. It's easier to look good in a weaker team then a better team. Ponting still stands out even with 4 or 5 players batting around him with bat averages of over 50 and stands up even when their failing.

Tendulkar as faced the new ball all his life, I cannot see how you can see Tendulkar as a flat track bully when he as scored runs all over the world, correct me if I am wrong, but he has scored 4 100s in Aus, 3 in Sa and 3 in Eng all agaisnt good bowling attacks, and tough conditions.

All great players have played great bowlers good, Ponting as failed against Wasim, Waqur and Donald, I'm not sure how he would have performed agaisnt his own bowling of Warne and Mcgrath. Ponting only averages 12.28 in India, he as struggled agaisnt spin in India, and a average like the is crazy. Tendulkar had to play good bowling on tough pitches for him when he just started playing intertional cricket. Remember those 2 100s agaisnt Australia?, ecspecially the one at Perth?, that was only his 3rd year of cricket and his first tour to Australia.

People expect too much from Tendulkar, in the late 90s people in India would expect a 100 from him in evrey match, even when Tendulkar scored a 100, India often lost the match, you dont know half of it, when Tendulkar failed in the 2003 world cup final people in India wanted him to retire despite of him scoring heavy in the world cup the games before leading to the final, Tendulkar as had to face the most pressure as a cricketer then any other cricketer alive, he as to drive his ferrari in the night.

As for captaincy, Tendulkar failed, but he had to captain a very weak team, and he needed to mature a bit, he captained India a bit early. Australia are a very, very strong side, any crap captain could captain Australia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread