Your Cricket Fast Bowling Thread

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
After much discussion here it is.

This is a thread to help aspiring fast or medium bowlers and hopefully it will include tips about increase in pace; movement (swing and seam) and injury prevention.

Pace - all of these have been either suggested in this thread (not yet obviously) or heard by me on at least 5 different occasions
  • Start the run up as a walk, then a jog, working to full pace with 4 or 5 steps to go. Maintain this pace until delivery stride
  • Run in and have your action in STRAIGHT LINES going towards the batsman
  • If you are side on; bring the back leg and hips through your action upon release.
  • If you are below 18 or 19, do not worry about pace, but rather making the action as natural as possible.
  • If you are 18 or 19 or over, build muscle mass, but it is better to be defined than be big and not able to rotate the shoulders :D

The Slower Ball

and written by Evertonfan said:
Ironically, one of the most valuable weapons to a fast bowler is their slower ball; When it's used properly, it is a very handy technique in which to decieve a batsman. Leggies have their top-spinner, Slow Left Armers have their arm ball and Fast bowlers have the slower ball. It's best to use once you are conceding runs or when you building up pressure; If the batsman is spanking you around a little bit, slip in the slower ball and he's likely to play too early or too late which could result in a skyed catch, or a bowled through the gate. Alternatively, if a batsman is having trouble scoring and you and/or your team are keeping the runs dry, then slip in a slower ball becuase the batsman might think that he needs to play a rash shot, and by playing a rash shot to an unexpected slower ball, he'll be very prone to a skyed catch or clean bowled again.

In order to bowl a slower ball, I use the 'split-finger' grip that Glenn McGrath uses. There are other methods such as the backhand and the off-spinner's grip, but to me, split-fingers is the easiest method to use.

A great slower ball is bowling far from the noball line, making it slower with NO CHANGE in the grip.

Good Bowlers of the Slower Ball

Glenn Mcgrath, Jimmy Anderson, Shoaib Akhtar (even though there is a lack of control)

Thats all for now, hopefully this can further expand - PS: Anyone using these tips please post to tell which are effective

Last edited:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Good to see this Manee, i'll be a regular contributor to this thread.

The Slower Ball

Ironically, one of the most valuable weapons to a fast bowler is their slower ball; When it's used properly, it is a very handy technique in which to decieve a batsman. Leggies have their top-spinner, Slow Left Armers have their arm ball and Fast bowlers have the slower ball. It's best to use once you are conceding runs or when you building up pressure; If the batsman is spanking you around a little bit, slip in the slower ball and he's likely to play too early or too late which could result in a skyed catch, or a bowled through the gate. Alternatively, if a batsman is having trouble scoring and you and/or your team are keeping the runs dry, then slip in a slower ball becuase the batsman might think that he needs to play a rash shot, and by playing a rash shot to an unexpected slower ball, he'll be very prone to a skyed catch or clean bowled again.

In order to bowl a slower ball, I use the 'split-finger' grip that Glenn McGrath uses. There are other methods such as the backhand and the off-spinner's grip, but to me, split-fingers is the easiest method to use. I bowl my slower balls slightly wide of off-stump, or into the batsman's feet but I find teh former to be the more effective. If your using the defesnsive slower ball then you should try to aim it on middle stump or just on leg, be careful not to stray too far down legside though or it'll be easy pickings for the batsman. The attacking slower ball approach should be bowled on a good length slightly wide of off-stump so it's just like your standard ball without the pace.

Yes, I did write this myself and I hope it helps fellow fast bowlers out there.

Last edited:

langerrox

International Coach
jimmy andersons slower ball > all, he uses it to great effect!

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
That's a good point Roxy; He along with McGrath, are amongst the best exponents of the slowie in world cricket. Akhtar uses his very well too btu teh fact that he often turns them into beamers makes me feel that his backhand method isn't easy to control.

langerrox

International Coach
evertonfan said:
That's a good point Roxy; He along with McGrath, are amongst the best exponents of the slowie in world cricket. Akhtar uses his very well too btu teh fact that he often turns them into beamers makes me feel that his backhand method isn't easy to control.
lol, i love choaib. I remember the tour vs england in pakistan where he did the droppers where it would look like a beamer and then drop and bowl em LOL, funniest thing to watch :D

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
My slower ball is an off spinner, occasionally when it comes out nicely it can get them through the gate. Was very useful when playing indoor cricket. I used to bowl a leg spinner as a slower ball, but I got the yips when it came to leg spinning. It never comes out anymore.

Nice post manee, very simple and very useful.

sid_19840

International Coach
Although Im no fast bowler,I know that your wrist movement during the point of delivery makes a really big difference on most aspects of fast bowling(for more details contact your local coach).Also it would be good if young fast bowlers learn how to move off the danger area in the early stages itself,it seems to be a constant problem with fast bowlers in the modern times.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I agree with Sid here; I bowl close to the stumps a la McGrath and Mahmood, but i've learned to pivot to the left in my delivery stride so as to avoid standing on teh danger area. It's a tricky skill to master but it's worth it when you do.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I got a nice tip from a friend on another forum for bowling quicker, i.e, get more momentum in the ball. When running in to bowl, try coming in with a straight back rather than running in crouched forward. Often it causes this lack of rocking back and forward and a small loss of height and pace in delivery. Imagine a ruler being bent back. The further you bend it the more violently it snaps back. Its the same with fast bowling. The more you 'snap' the weight from back to forward the more momentum you can put in the ball.

29sho1.jpg

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I can see the logic in that NP, thanks a lot for that. I shall try that the next time I don my whites.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
evertonfan said:
I can see the logic in that NP, thanks a lot for that. I shall try that the next time I don my whites.
Be advised that the Akhtar picture may be a bit misguiding. Don't actually TRY to bend your back like that, just keep it straight. Like so..

botham.jpg

This way your weight shifts back and rocks forward giving you that extra momentum.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I'll try to mainttain my body shape as it is in the Botham pic. Well, apart from the beer-belly. :p

I shall be posting a guide on Leg and Off cutters later Manee.

Users who are viewing this thread