Review: First Impressions of DB14 on PC

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The leg glance is spot on and still can get you and other shots feel the same, the cut also goes in the air more but as i still play more on the legside this is not a problem. In patch one i played maybe 90% on leg and now maybe 75%, i would love to see offside used around 50% each or when they get tired slip down leg.

Cricket-online i am shocked you don't have PC version.
PS Also you hit less 4s now and more running, spot on here and yes the pull shot is dangerous now.

Naah... I'm a console user through and through. I like the convenience of getting a game, sit back on the couch and play the game and not be bothered about upgrading or updating the system periodically. In other words I'm too lazy :p

grkrama

National Board President
IIRC the cricket 2004 first person cam tracked the ball automatically.

As it turns out, batting in a heavily modded Cricket 2004 with first person camera felt similar to DBC in a lot of ways. I think I was the only person in the universe who played 2004 that way though.

cricket 2004 had first person camera? :eek: never knew that.

billionaiire

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I cringe when the AI hits a semi-aerial stroke on the back foot toward third man when the ball came in full length low height at around 120 kph. Does this ever happen?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
cricket 2004 had first person camera? :eek: never knew that.

I think he meant EA Cricket 2007 which had behind the batsman camera, and had "century stick" control for batting which used left & right sticks for footwork and shot selection a la DBC 14.

lokebabu

Club Captain
I own a ps3 copy of don bradman cricket and played pc version today. OMG the load times are way way better than ps3 and runs very smoothly. With patch 2 applied, pc version is looking great. Thank big ant for such a wonderful game.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I think he meant EA Cricket 2007 which had behind the batsman camera, and had "century stick" control for batting which used left & right sticks for footwork and shot selection a la DBC 14.

Nope. 2004 and full first person.

Maybe I'm misremembering and I modded the main camera to the coordinates of the player's head. I could swear it was one of the regular camera modes, though.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Nope. 2004 and full first person.

Maybe I'm misremembering and I modded the main camera to the coordinates of the player's head. I could swear it was one of the regular camera modes, though.

Ok. Don't recall EA Cricket 2004 with such a camera angle. However 2007 version did have semi-transparent wk with behind the batsman angle.

CHUCKY666_UK

School Cricketer
Quick question - did u manually download patch 2 or is it already included in the steam version?

convertorboy

Club Cricketer
Isn't it the right stick? I thought left stick was for selecting the delivery type and right stick controlled line & length.
Before you choose your length, the left stick determines how close you run into the stumps. So when you're going to bowl, LAS at 11 o'clock means you'll land wide of the stumps, 12 o'clock normal and 1 o'clock your delivery stride is close to the stumps. You press your length, then you flick the RAS down for your front foot, then up to release. RAS straight up will send the ball down straight, to the left or right angles the ball in that direction. There was a wonderful bowling tutorial in the forums but I can't find it now.

umosay

Club Captain
Enjoying it so far. Would really like a field overview/minimap though... the cameras I use it's very hard to tell if it's going to a fielder or not straight away.

Keeper and slips seem way too close for, especially for 140-150kph, they should be back near the edge of the circle. Guess that's the issue with the bowling not being real-world speed. Think I'd prefer the bowling to look faster, but have a pitch marker appearing late, don't find the circle around the ball all that useful.

Last edited:

Mondy

Club Captain
My first impressions:

Easily the most realistic and enjoyable cricket game I've played in a decade. Big Ant deserve a huge hug for putting the effort in and releasing a game that genuinely feels like cricket.

As has been noted by so many, unlike other cricket games, this is not a game you can play tired. I started a career last night and was bowling and batting well - knocked up a quiet but solid 33 and took some wickets as a batting all rounder. But as the night wore on and I became tired, my batting fell apart and I started getting less revs on the ball and bowling wides. And I know it's because I was treating the game like its 'arcade' predecessors. Assuming that if I come in and ignore the line of the ball and play aggressive from ball one I'll be fine. And thinking that if I bowl a fullish ball at someone the batsman will miss and I'll get an LBW or bowled.

But no. Instead my average went into free fall and I couldn't buy a wicket. So I went to bed frustrated and annoyed bit secretly pleased that the game was so damn challenging and smart.

But it's not perfects.

Too many times I was asked to open the bowling as a 16 year old batting all rounder. I'm the guy you put on before the new ball needs to be taken or to break a partnership - at least at this point in my career - I should not be taking the new nut. So the AI logic - strong in other parts of the game - is lacking here for me.

Far too many direct hits. Now, most of these happens when the batsman are safe in their ground, so no issues there, but the fielders in my experience still hit the stumps too often.

Caught and bowled is as close to a real problem that this game has. Firstly the bowlers are constantly dropping caught and bowl chances. In one sense that's realistic because the chances are hard. But even when I'm at the strikers end, there are still too many of them. The problem I see is with the straight drive. Even if you hit it sweetly, it stays in the air - just - creating a potential catching chance. It's not a deal breaker because the bowler often drops it, but if they do catch it it's very annoying. It essentially means that the straight drive, unless it's a full bunger, needs to be shelved because the risk is high. I've watched cricket for thirty years, and even a ball of good length will hit the ground first before it makes to the bowler if the batsman is playing forward with a straight bat. So for me I believe the ball physics here is not realistic.

And I also think that the pull shot is played too often in the air. I haven't been caught, but it seems the game as a default plays the shot uppishly.

None of these are deal breakers. Any game where I'm set on 18 off 22 balls in a one day game and James Hopes bowls the perfect leg cutter and I knick it to the keeper, frankly, the greatest thing ever.

So well done all. A few more tweaks and this will be a perfect game. Or as close to perfect as a game like this can be.

adikal

Club Captain
If there's anyone who is not playing the career mode, and is not simulating the AI innings, can you please share your experiences with the AI batting in the PC version? Really curious if the AI pacing issues have been fixed, especially in the shorter formats.

Alberts

International Coach
The AI batting overall is much much better, and now that I've played longer it does seem there is a vastly increased chance of edges, should you bowl to them well enough (as it should be).

I managed to get quite a good number using the crease a bit more, bowling line and length just outside off. I had 4 catches for the keeper and one in the slips in my last game, with 2 chances put down. Be interesting to see if that's a one off, or if it can be replicated though.

Users who are viewing this thread