For Australian fans: Rating Michael Clarke

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Clarke might also suffer a bit because Australia don't play the weaker sides so much. Of his 79 Tests Clarke has played Bangladesh just twice, he didn't do too well at that. He hasn't played Zimbabwe and only seven Tests against West Indies. He has played the kiwis 11 times, averages 58.79.

And he's played England in 20 Tests (1/4 of his career tally), they might not have always been that strong, but they are better than average and not a team you'd want to play that often if seeking a 50+ average

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Don't think you have to be an Aussie to see that Clarke is a quality batsman. His cover drive is simply beautiful but he does get caught half way forward and half way back against guys with a bit of pace or swing. As a player of spin bowling he is right up there alongside Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Tendulkar, Dravid etc.

Out of all the great Aussie batsmen I've seen in my time, I'd rate him in my top 10, right under the likes of Hayden and Langer.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I couldnt watch's clarke inning.. Nevertheless, I am a fan of him since I saw that he put his team first before him rather than his milestones which he could achieve.

As a batsman.. Its tough for me to put in my top five Aussie players... ummm but surely he can come in the top ten list i guess... have to give it a thought

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I Don't follow Australia Cricket.
but after seeing him turn down a great record which everyone Dream of getting for the team to win the Match, show he is good captain thinking more about the team than his Own glory.
again i say i don't follow Australia cricket, so don't know much about his Captaincy, maybe he is bad or what ever, but that record turn down to gain a victory, shows how positive as a Captain, thinking about the team. but i will get to see him, once he tour West Indies this year.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
IMO you can't rate a batsmen on one innings, so Waugh stands out to me. But Clarke has shown maturity s a captain so I am happy for him and the Australians as he was unable to produce knocks of the calibre of Ponting and Waugh when they were captain

Last edited:

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
IMO you can't rate a batsmen on one innings, so Waugh stands out to me. But Clarke has shown maturity s a captain so I am happy for him and the Australians as he was unable to produce knocks of the calibre of Ponting and Waugh when they were captain

yeah i know lol. just waiting for him to tour de West indies to see what he is all about :)

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Clarke's making it hard to not be rated as one of our best. Now sits at 4th for both highest individual score and highest partnership for Australia. Next on the list is breaking Ponting and Waugh's test match winning streak (regaining the Ashes in the process) and bringing the world cup back home.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
What was it I heard today.. Clarke is the only captain, or Australian captain it may have been, to score a triple and double hundred?

Also, the batting average has been given another boost. At this time it stands at 49.83. Assuming he gets out tomorrow, a score of 78 would see his average stand at exactly 50.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It was that Clarke is the only CAPTAIN to score 300 and 200 in a series. The other guys who did it (Bradman x 2 and Hammond) weren't captain at the time.

The other captains to score 2 x 200+ scores are Graeme Smith and Bradman (of course...) But Clarke went one better by getting the triple.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Think now is a good time to dig this thread after Clarke's double. Has this innings changed any minds of how he showed be rated by Australian fans?.

Robelinda

International Coach
really top quality test batsman, none of this throwing yourinnings away or getting bored after 100, he is the real deal, no fluke once off double ton, he has shown amazing concentration, and the sheer skill involved at dominating Steyn when coming in in a perilous 3/40 (much like the Cape Town 151* last year), shows his immense class, which is growing each match almost. He almost made 2 glorious tons in swinging seaming conditions in england in 2009, when most flopped around him. All round class player, can change gears and score fast, or defend, unlike say Kallis who bats in a bubble and has no idea about match situations most of the time.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
That 151 vs South Africa last year is still possibly my favourite innings, big call considering Australia still lost the game. Never seen someone make it so easy comparatively to everyone around him.

It's great that he's found the 'big century' secret, but I think he could still be better. Be more consistent in getting to 50, maybe bat at #3 and help fix the top order problems. Improve his pull shot vs pace and be a little more circumspect vs spin.

But I'd say he's pretty good - quite underrated really (I wonder if it's because of his T20 stats...) I looked at some numbers today:
*since 2006/07 Clarke has scored 5233 Test runs @ 55.67, 18 100s. I picked that date as it's the summer Clarke found his feet again after being dropped after 2005 Ashes.
*Only Cook and KP have scored more Test runs than Clarke since then.
*Only Kallis and Sangakkara have made more 100s.
*And only Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Samaraweera, Kallis and Younis Khan have a better average over that time:
From statguru: Clarke vs the rest - 2006/07 onwards
Take out matches vs Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and Clarke passes KP in runs, Sangakkara in 100s, and Younis Khan in batting average. In short his numbers are very good! Yet he's not been seen as the best player in his own team for most of that time: Ponting and Hussey often owning that tag. More big hundreds though and he'll get that worldwide respect.

War

Chairman of Selectors
So Mr Robelina & sifter, based on those comments where now would you be willing to rate Clarke amongst top AUS batsmen since 1990?

Users who are viewing this thread