Guys What Are Your Thoughts of a Test League Along The Lines of IPL

This is talking totally in thin air and hypothetically, but suppose there were to be a test league, do you think it would work, and would you watch?

It would of course have fewer teams or would be in a knock-out format to keep the overall length of the tournament short. Perhaps 4 teams knock out (or 8 at the most). Have all the major international stars play, or atleast be open to all nations, those boards that want to send their players could do so.

It would have 3 tests (2 semis, and a final), so no more than 20 days required (including a few days rest between the 2nd semi and final). Perhaps tweak the rules just a little bit to improve viewership, but nothing too drastic. Like have a min scoring rate of atleast 3 runs/p.o after X overs, or be docked some runs. No forcing teams to at best play for a draw, like team must declare after reaching 400 or 450 etc. Not that these need to be the exact rules, but some tweaking can be done, here or there to help sustain the interest. I mean no one wants to watch a test match where one side scores 600 runs, it immediately forces the other team to just start playing for a draw and kills the contest. To avoid player burnout there could be running subs allowed like in Basketball.

I think three weeks can be found in the Int'l calender for this to work. It would be a much more serious league than the IPL, and a shorter one, and with potential to provide some gripping contests and at the same time fans will get to watch the best players in the world. Also I feel it could be a big hit commercially as it has all the right ingredients.

Thoughts?

grkrama

National Board President
Like have a min scoring rate of atleast 3 runs/p.o after X overs, or be docked some runs.

I wouldn't tweak runrate or put restrictions there cause if we are going to give tests to people it has to cater to that audience, but for this to succeed financially it has to make a lot concession, for one would be the right place to give that pink ball a go and night tests.Cause this would be the best way to capture TV audience and get commercial revenue.

And i don't think draws should be outlawed instead result pitches should be provided, i wouldn't mind putting minefields in there, cause if these is going to be a league of stars let them showcase it here, they have more than enough opportunities to belt runs in other competitions here it should be a battle test of their potential. The competition needs to put itself as an ultimate challenge out there and gain importance if it has to click.
And in the odd case there is a draw the team which won more session should be the winner, this will keep the teams hungry in all sessions. The pitch should take care that getting a draw is a very difficult proposition.

Motivations factors should be the challenge of the competition, the proving yourself in a world stage as well as a fat paycheck like IPL if not more.

I don't think burnout would be a problem for player as its just a couple of tests at most.

Last edited:

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I'd like to see a t20 style test match over the course of a day. Two innings a side, each 20 overs. That's a format I'd rather watch than the standard 40/50 overs a side one dayers.

grkrama

National Board President
I'd like to see a t20 style test match over the course of a day. Two innings a side, each 20 overs. That's a format I'd rather watch than the standard 40/50 overs a side one dayers.
That would be like another limited overs bashing and with twenty wickets in 40 overs itwould be mayhem, i wouldnt mind seeing it but it wont give me the test feel, so it wont suit the idea here of a test league i would say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps 4 teams knock out (or 8 at the most). Have all the major international stars play, or atleast be open to all nations, those boards that want to send their players could do so.

Im really interested in the idea, and would love for it to happen, (might just try starting a league for DBC based on this idea would be awesome:D ).

If it has to happen how would the leagues be based and how would the player pool be divided.Cause the boards have to make lots money of it and only then they will agree to it.
Also you need to be able to create a sort of home feeling or belonging for fans to root to teams like leagues do with a bit of domestic and foreign players.

I can think of a couple of ways in which teams can be divided region based with 4 players out of region.
As in

IND SL/PAK

ENG SL/PAK

AUS NZ

SA WI

Or ranking based with top 4 nations tying up with the next 4 nations. So it would make a combo of

SA IND

AUS PAK

ENG NZ

SL WI

with each combo be able to select 3-4 players from other nations pool.

This also means we need 60 good test players for a month, but if all boards involved are making money i cant see why this cant happen.

That would be like another limited overs bashing and with twenty wickets in 40 overs itwould be mayhem, i wouldnt mind seeing it but it wont give me the test feel, so it wont suit the idea here of a test league i would say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Im really interested in the idea, and would love for it to happen, (might just try starting a league for DBC based on this idea would be awesome:D ).

If it has to happen how would the leagues be based and how would the player pool be divided.Cause the boards have to make lots money of it and only then they will agree to it.
Also you need to be able to create a sort of home feeling or belonging for fans to root to teams like leagues do with a bit of domestic and foreign players.

I can think of a couple of ways in which teams can be divided region based with 4 players out of region.
As in

IND SL/PAK

ENG SL/PAK

AUS NZ

SA WI

Or ranking based with top 4 nations tying up with the next 4 nations. So it would make a combo of

SA IND

AUS PAK

ENG NZ

SL WI

with each combo be able to select 3-4 players from other nations pool.

This also means we need 60 good test players for a month, but if all boards involved are making money i cant see why this cant happen.

Well I think for this to work the league would hvae to be based in a particular nation. So like IPL is in India, perhaps this league would be based in England where the financial returns from tests are likely to be the highest, or even India, why not? I mean so far all new franchise leagues have had super success and after IPL there have been Badminton leagues, which have done well, as has even the Kabaddi league. ISL is already getting some gigantic names and looks set to be a huge success. I am waiting for a Tennis league to start and it will soon enough ... its has all the ingredients. Just picture the biggest names in tennis fighting it out in a league.

Anyway for this league suppose it were based in India, then I would say a restriction on 5 home grown players has to be imposed (anywhere). Then that leaves a slot of 6 foreign based players in 3 teams so thats 18 players. Also we know that if it is in India, then ECB won't allow its players to play, and Pak players will not be picked due to political reasons. You never know when tensions escalate, and then playing them would be an issue. I personally would love to see Pak players play though.

Anyway so that leaves 18 players to be picked from 5 nations - Aus, NZ, SA, SL, WI. More than 18 if there are rolling subs. I think that Boards would not want their bowlers to be overworked. Its one thing for Steyn to bowl four overs in the IPL, but I am sure the SA Board would not want him bowling 30 overs a day in tests.

The Franchises get to then pick and play.

grkrama

National Board President
I am sure the SA Board would not want him bowling 30 overs a day in tests.

That's the reason i believe the boards need to get money from this league to let it thrive, i cant imagine for whatever reasons ambani's/mallya's running a test league.

It has to be a mega carnival, i would personally like it moving between the countries each time, as it will be a great promotion for tests in general.

That's the reason i believe the boards need to get money from this league to let it thrive, i cant imagine for whatever reasons ambani's/mallya's running a test league.

It has to be a mega carnival, i would personally like it moving between the countries each time, as it will be a great promotion for tests in general.

Yeah the rolling hosts is a good idea. In fact all three test matches per season can be played in different nations. Suppose one Semi Final takes place at Lord's, another at WACA and final at DY Patil. Or One match at Galle another at Durban and Final in Sabina Park.

How will the franchises work then though, is a bit of a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread