Hardcore Gameplay Patch

newtumor

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Could you possibly put up a short guide to what each of the settings in the cfg files do. Like what is BatEdgeBias , etc...

dro87

School Cricketer
IDEAS FOR IMPROVING GAME PLAY

I hope posting this here in Hardcore Gameplay makes sense. If not, I will put it in another topic or start a new one. Contact me about this at [email protected]

I will be very interested in hearing what all you cricket experts and top Cricket 2002 players have to say about these suggestions!

Like many others, I join in thanking Vineet for his skill and devotion to improving EA Cricket 2002. I can only hope that HB Studios and EA Sports will have the good sense to take a serious look into what is being done on the Cricket2002.tk website.

Although I am not yet anywhere near skilled enough to play the game at the level some others on this forum do, I prefer the realism of a sound thrashing by the CPU to the thrill of an easy arcade-style victory using cheats and can't-miss shortcuts that do an injustice to the spirit of the real game.

One of my goals in playing the game is to learn genuine cricket strategy and tactics. As an American visitor to South Africa since Oct. 2002 who is new to the game of cricket, I face a steep learning curve. Fortunately, there has been plenty of cricket to watch on the tele during the runup to the World Cup and now of course the Cup itself. I have quickly come to love the cricket, and I am learning fast, but at this stage I can easily be misled by tips and shortcuts that work on the computer but not in real-life professional cricket. That is why I find Vineet's work, particularly the latest "Hardcore Realism" patches, so valuable.

With all this in mind, I wish to make the following suggestions. Perhaps these can be tweaked into the game via patches, or perhaps they would need to be coded into Cricket 2004:

1. The most annoying thing about the game is the bowling cursor. In anything but Easy mode, the cursor behaves erratically and becomes unmanageable -- at least when using an MS Sidewinder USB gamepad. I would much rather have an easy-to-use cursor and then let the bowler's rating, past statistics, field conditions, weather, and the number of times in an over a particular target is selected and the amount of spin/swing is applied determine the probability of accurate line and length, plus the chance of wide balls. Greater knowledge of each bowler's capabilities would be a definite plus for a bowling side selecting how best to bowl, but the key thing is to stop forcing players literally to wrestle with the bowling cursor as the chief means of making bowling harder. It is exhausting, contributes to carpal tunnel syndrome, and greatly detracts from the game experience.

2. The lack of control over the wicketkeeper is a real problem. He should be positioned up and back, squatting or standing, placed left or right as desired. These happen all the time in a real match, but are entirely missing from the computer game.

3. Viewing and setting the field is far too cumbersome and unclear.

First, the bowling side has to drill down two or three menu levels to access the field editor and choose a particular field. This should be a one-click operation, perhaps by making the field screen that appears in the lower right corner just before the pitch is delivered a hotlink accessible with a keyboard key or gamepad button.

Second, fielder placement in the field editor should be more easily accomplished. Setting standard fields like 3 slips and a gully should not take so much time, and it should be more permanent, even persisting between matches if possible, but certainly for the duration of a match or until the bowling side deliberately changes it. Also, there should be a way of quickly (or even automatically) mirroring setups for left-handed batsmen, assuming that the editor defaults to right-handers. Custom fields should appear on the small field screen, rather than requiring the field to be opened to reveal existing placements. Custom fields should be saved independent of bowlers. Custom fields should be able to be given short titles to distinguish them from one another at a glance.

Third, the field screen that automatically appears just before a bowl must have far greater fidelity, at least equal to what is available in the field editor, so that the batsman can actually tell where the fielders are located.

Fourth, control over the field camera should exist, to permit the batting player to scan the field, ideally from the batsman's viewpoint, but using a bird's eye view if the former proves too demanding of computer resources. The current panning views between the bowling appear to be generic and therefore not reliable in terms of field setup and shot placement. In fact, this capacity to see the field is important for both sides, and should be freely accessible to the bowling side as well. This might create some conflicts between 2 human players, but I think something could be worked out to handle this via on-screen prompts.

Finally, in-game or on-the-CD tutorials should be provided on setting a field, evaluating bowlers in game terms, and perhaps related matters of strategy and tactics. This could be provided by means of Acrobat PDF files. At the very least there should be some arrangement made with cricket experts to provide key data and the finer points about the real-world game.

4. The batsman's view of the ball is unrealistic when using the default camera angle, and obstructed by his own body at the moment of truth when using the reverse angle. Since realistic batting requires perfect timing of the swing, it deserves an unobstructed, close-in batsman's eye view of the oncoming ball. Since the human batting side is not actually holding the bat, this may present its own challenges to effective gameplay, but it would be worth offering as a camera angle option to those who want to give it a go.

Thanks for reading, and I invite replies!

Keith S.
----------

DRRRAGONS

School Cricketer
am i the only one here who thinks the gameplay patch sorta stinks??
At least on my version, this is what now happens in my game:

1) Back foot cut shots, hooks and pulls are now completely gone, batting is not really fun anymore, and its not hard either, you just cant cut, hook or pull. I mean I can't even hit the mooo! ball no more, not even nick it or get close, its weird. but i still bat everything else easily and run rates of 15 an over against the supposedly hard competition.

2) Teams are now easier to beat!! Playing the new wc2003 expansion (which fruiting rocks by the way) i was able to bowl out every single team within 10 overs for less than 20 runs!! 20!!! which i then get in one over with adam gilchrist usually.

3) Fast bowling speeds are good, but i can't bowl that fast dammut, only the computer can.

4) Computer batting just dont score anymore, their run rate is worse than the game was before the patch!

PLEASE HOW DO I UNINSTALL THE GAMEPLAY THING?? DO i just delete the configs folder??? The gameplay was much better when i just only installed the wc2003 expansion and not the hardcore gameplay addon.

Sanju

Club Cricketer
Hey shnobble you are exactly right atleast i got one person who thinks like me.As you said we are not able to play the real cricketing shots and elegant shots.It looks so disgusting when the cpu bowls at us and we are nowhere near to it.I hope a better game play patch would be realised soon.Even the bowler frequently bowls at 160 There should be a kind of realism out of 30-40 bowls he should bowl one over paced delivery.I hope you read this vinnet.

newtumor

School Cricketer
I think that only soo much can be done with a game that was so flawed to begin with. We're lucky vineet has done such a good job on this patch.

J

jericho007

I got the solution !!!!
If it upsets you so much just delete the game and re-install the original. End of story.....

Better still I got a few ideas for improving the game.

1. Shane Warne does not wear oakley sun glasses can someone fix this.
2. Adam Gilchrist has not got big ears - fix it !!
3. Can you add a streaker or people tossing cans on the field !!
4. Better still how about a mexican wave in the crowd.

Come on Vineet surely you can match these requests as well as the other gripes in the game !!!

lovely happy thoughts, thank god someone took the time to have a go and try and improve the game.
As far as i am concerned , I love the improvements and agree that Vineet and his crew should take a bow.

It comes back to the old adage, if you think you can do better DO IT!!!

S

SHAHZEB 007

Hello this is aimed at Vineet!
1. When the Computer is bowling the game is great, Fast bowling, lots of edges etc.
2. When I am bowling i am not as fast as the computer is, this is not good. Also the computer should be better batters.
3.CAN YOU PLS RELEASE AN IN DEPTH MANUAL ON HOW TO EDIT SPECIFIC CFG FILES. MANY OF US HAVE NO IDEA WAT TO DO!!!!!

Once you have done steps 2 and 3, this is the best game in the world.
Thanks very much,
Troy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROTEAS ALL THE WAY!!!

Sanju

Club Cricketer
Hey rammstein you are having lots of over ambitious and unpractical suggetion and it is not easy to do it.We have to go step by step first thing is that vineet should make a patch that in which we can bowl as fast as computer does.And there should be proper cricket shots in the game one thing in short form is needed is REALISM.About the streaker and mexicon wave dont think about it that going to be a long long way.Hey vineet keep answering because you are the one who is doing we are just blabbering.

V

vinay

I have an silly idea but an idea......
U can also use difficulty patch in hard mode
all u have to do is as under
instead of renaming to L_NORMAL.cfg rename it to L_HARD.cfg and set the level to hard in game options
in normal mode u can go for the big ones but in hard it will be more tuffer than the extreme one
U will now have 2 work really hard 4ur runs......
I hope u will feel the difference...........
NOTE - I have only tried it in 2 player mode not with the computer..... ;)

Sanju

Club Cricketer
Hey vinnay just tell me how to activate that patch in normal mode once i tried it it also worked but again it has gone please help tell wad to rename.

Sanju

Club Cricketer
And someone write some tips of about how to play with the hard core patch vineet wrote in the description
Authentic cricketing shots required to score runs not slogs.
However batsmen can now use the pace and send the ball to the boundary with a well chosen shot
haha he has just done it opposite atleast good authentic shots were before the hardcore patch now does he have any answer to this vineet read my previous post also.

V

vinay

Mate ur difficulty patch is extremely awesome but there is no shot to play in bouncers it just goes overhead....... :o
So can u plz try and shorten the lenght of the ball of bouncer and release the update for ur difficulty patch plz......... :D

Users who are viewing this thread