Health/Diet/Weight Loss/Fitness Management

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

Shouldn't it be simple - eat more than you are eating right now. I have heard that eating more than 2-3 bananas a day helps weight gain. If you love bananas, that's one big way to put on weight

P.s: I envy you!

Yeah, I'm sure the banana thing is helping me out!! Been onto that for a couple of months now. :)

Haha, I'd love to 'trade' . :D

If you want to gain muscle, you could do what dutchad suggested but it's most likely a waste of time.

Hmm ohkay!! but I'm in no hurry!! so most likely I'll be going for a 7 kg pair of dumbbells.
There are plenty of very effective weight training routines you can do without hardly any equipment or going to a gym...twenty or thirty minutes a day doing anneffective program will make a real impact in 5 or six weeks....a random example.....
Yeah!! My exams ended today, so this is possible now. Thanks for the info :)

If you are ridiculously skinny and want to gain some weight, just eat some junk.
I ain't that skinny, but yeah stomach is quite chubby!!
I've never stopped with junk food, and I don't think of stopping it anytime soon. But as I said, 'good weight' is what I want, and I seriously have no time for gym as of now!! So its better to start with something. ;)

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I weighed 108 kgs and My height was 177 cms a month ago .

I had a slight meniscus tear in my left knee , mostly caused due to Weight.

So i consulted a Nutrition.

She gave me a Food Schedule and Timings, I can't really follow timings because I am going to college.

But I have followed the Food Procedure .

I went again to the hospital two weeks ago. I checked my Weight and Height, To my surprise I am reduced to 104 kgs and Grown to 180 cms...I had a lot of Natural Protein intake.

That may be the reason for the change...Still Working hard to get to the Normal Life.:)

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I weighed 108 kgs and My height was 177 cms a month ago .

I had a slight meniscus tear in my left knee , mostly caused due to Weight.

So i consulted a Nutrition.

She gave me a Food Schedule and Timings, I can't really follow timings because I am going to college.

But I have followed the Food Procedure .

I went again to the hospital two weeks ago. I checked my Weight and Height, To my surprise I am reduced to 104 kgs and Grown to 180 cms...I had a lot of Natural Protein intake.

That may be the reason for the change...Still Working hard to get to the Normal Life.:)

I am in 90s by weight and height around 5'9.You mind sharing the food schedule with me?More or less i am in a similar situation like you :)

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

Yeah, I'm sure the banana thing is helping me out!! Been onto that for a couple of months now. :)

Haha, I'd love to 'trade' . :D

Hmm ohkay!! but I'm in no hurry!! so most likely I'll be going for a 7 kg pair of dumbbells.
Yeah!! My exams ended today, so this is possible now. Thanks for the info :)

I ain't that skinny, but yeah stomach is quite chubby!!
I've never stopped with junk food, and I don't think of stopping it anytime soon. But as I said, 'good weight' is what I want, and I seriously have no time for gym as of now!! So its better to start with something. ;)

Do cardio to get rid of the gut. Again, cardio at the gym is second to none. A cross trainer or treadmill will get you fit in about a week if you do it every day and you'll lose weight as well. Going for a half hour run every day or an hour walk should be fine as well, though it'll take longer.

A large portion of fat loss is diet as well. I'd try to stay away from fatty foods as much as possible, that isn't to say don't enjoy your food, but don't overeat, especially the junk. You'll feel more motivated to do this if you do cardio as well, as you'll want to be able to see your results.

Fat loss takes a very long time, it can take years to get rid of the gut fully. It's taken me quite a while and I'm still not quite there yet. Just don't expect results overnight, expect it to take a similar time to take off the weight as it took to put it on.

As for dumbells, that is good for legs, though I reckon they're a waste of money as they'll be good for a few weeks or maybe a month but then they'll be too light for you and you'll need new ones. If you must, do that, but you have to balance arm workouts with abs, chest and legs as well. Legs are often neglected but they are very important as well. I wouldn't do weight training every day, try doing it maybe 3-4 times a week.

Lee1981

International Coach
Gaining weight is so much easier than losing it.:rolleyes

Not true at all

If your fat you know why you are, you eat to much stuff you shouldn't and your to lazy to exercise, so,it's your own fault, you know exactly what your doing wrong so need to break them habits.

Easy solution

Gaining weight especially for people with high metabolism is extremely hard, been there done that.

The amount of calories you need to have especially if you are hitting the gym is massive, I pretty much needed to double what i was eating every day, worked ok for a month, it becomes to much of a chore after that, thinking about your next meal and dreading it,

I had to stop it was making me miserable trying to eat that much carbs and protein, happy at 11 stone now.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Not true at all

If your fat you know why you are, you eat to much stuff you shouldn't and your to lazy to exercise, so,it's your own fault, you know exactly what your doing wrong so need to break them habits.

Easy solution

Gaining weight especially for people with high metabolism is extremely hard, been there done that.

The amount of calories you need to have especially if you are hitting the gym is massive, I pretty much needed to double what i was eating every day, worked ok for a month, it becomes to much of a chore after that, thinking about your next meal and dreading it,

I had to stop it was making me miserable trying to eat that much carbs and protein, happy at 11 stone now.

I've done both and it's absolutely true. You clearly have never tried to lose weight.

All depends on your metabolism though.

Varun

ICC Board Member
I'm just 58 kgs. Awesome. :D

For me, the key is to expend as much energy as you're eating. Or eat as much as you're expending energy. Works both ways.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm currently doing the following routine:

Originally Posted by all pro

A Simple beginner's Routine

(First off, you need to find your 10 rep maximum for each exercise)

You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

Everything I've read on that forum (bodybuilding.com) indicates that your diet is your primary weapon against fat loss (if that's your goal), not cardio; it's good to do as well of course, but don't go eating way more calories than you need and expect to burn it all off with cardio!

At the moment, I'm looking to put on weight (muscle of course), so my cardio is at an absolute minimum. Remember, to put on weight of any kind (be that fat or muscle) you have to be eating a few hundred more calories a day than your body needs. Aim for a gain of .5lb to 1lb per week to minimise fat loss, and of course lift heavy at the gym. 'Heavy' is a relative term - what might be heavy to you would be light for someone else. Lift heavy relatively to you.

The final part of the equation is to get adequate sleep; that's when your muscles build - you tear them down when you're lifting and they rebuild when you rest.

You have to do this properly though: don't 'guess' how many more calories per day you need - visit the forum I mentioned to get all the specifics about how much protein (the building blocks of muscle) you need, how much fat (yes, you're supposed to eat a certain amount of fat each day) and so on.

For those looking to burn fat, you'll be wanting to eat a few hundred calories less than your body needs - but you will also be wanting to keep lifting as well otherwise you could well lose muscle alongside the fat, and none of us want that. ;)

Apart from a few genetic freaks, most people won't burn a huge amount of fat while putting on muscle, or vice versa - while burning fat, don't expect to put on much (or even any at all) muscle. You have to pick a goal and work towards that.

Anyone here already doing All Pros, or something similar? :)

Edit: @Lee - the amount of calories you need depends on your build, how much you weigh and how tall you are as well as your activity level. Myself, I'm not very tall neither am I very heavy. When I started all this, I ate 2,600 calories a day and gained around .5lb a week (I've already carrying some unwanted belly fat, so I'm shooting for .5lb per week to minimise fat gain). As my weight increases, I'll probably need to up the calories slightly every now and then in order to keep weight gain moving forwards. I know what you mean about the chore of having to monitor your meals etc, but I've got used to it now - it's no longer a chore - it's become part of my life, as has going to the gym.

I can see some subtle differences in my quads, forearms, chest and triceps, and my lifts are increasing at the gym - but as said above, this is not an overnight procedure. It's more a case of six months than six weeks; or even six years. ;)

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I want to gain good weight, no, I don't have anytime to go to the gym. Does jogging and stuff also helps us in gaining weight? I'm sorry if I sound weird there.

Nope. Jogging and 'stuff' burns calories and you want to be on a calorific surplus to gain weight. The reason some people get too fat isn't because they happen to eat pizza or cake. It's because they eat too goddamn much of it and go hundreds and hundreds, or even thousands of calories above their daily requirements! Or they do a 30 min cardio session at the gym and believe they can now reward themselves with a medium pizza! Great job burning those 300 or so calories at the gym, but wow - you've just replaced them and then some with a north-of-2000 calorie bomb!

'Fat makes you fat' is an 80s saying. In other words, it's woefully out of date and inaccurate. Fat does not make you fat; too many calories make you fat - whether those calories come from fat, protein, carbs or whatever.

Last edited:

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Nope. Jogging and 'stuff' burns calories and you want to be on a calorific surplus to gain weight. The reason some people get too fat isn't because they happen to eat pizza or cake. It's because they eat too goddamn much of it and go hundreds and hundreds, or even thousands of calories above their daily requirements! Or they do a 30 min cardio session at the gym and believe they can now reward themselves with a medium pizza! Great job burning those 300 or so calories at the gym, but wow - you've just replaced them and then some with a north-of-2000 calorie bomb!

I get your point there, but how do you calculate the amount of calories you are consuming. Well then I can get a perfect picture as to what should I do.

Btw, thedon5 was talking about the overnight thingy if I'd go to a gym, obviously relative to normal work-outs, but 6 months:eek: , and what happens if I tend to work-out in the gym for couple of months and then stop? Is it important to continue the gym?If yes, then how long?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I get your point there, but how do you calculate the amount of calories you are consuming. Well then I can get a perfect picture as to what should I do.

Btw, thedon5 was talking about the overnight thingy if I'd go to a gym, obviously relative to normal work-outs, but 6 months:eek: , and what happens if I tend to work-out in the gym for couple of months and then stop? Is it important to continue the gym?If yes, then how long?

I think if you're serious about transforming your body, you have to get into it for the long term - indeed it's less of a case of 'oh, I'll do this for six months', and more of a complete and permanent lifestyle change. The annoying thing is of course, once you've got the muscle, you have to maintain it. That means still getting the right amount of protein and lifting heavy - if you don't maintain muscle, then you lose it. That's especially true the older you get.

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll pop you the nutrition link from the forum and you can have a read. Warning: it's complicated at first, very complicated. It took me quite a long time to get my head around it, and I'm rubbish at guiding others through it as well I'm afraid! Anyway, have a read:

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums

While I'm at it, here's the link to the routine I'm following:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

When I first started all this, I thought I was eating enough just to maintain a healthy lifestyle, never mind lifting and all that running I was doing before. At first, the notion of actually tracking what I was eating sounded completely alien to me, not to mention completely unnecessary; 'OCD much?' was my initial reaction.

Then I decided to track how much I was actually eating, just for the hell of it and I received a tremendous shock. I wasn't eating enough just for a healthy lifestyle, let alone any exercise. I was basically eating like a small bird or something - which explains why despite any programme I tried, or any exercise machine, I wasn't getting any results. Now after a couple of months strict calorie tracking, and commitment to the gym three times a week, I am beginning to notice the beginnings of change.

Note: If you're a teenager, all the calorie tracking etc, etc is not necessary going by everything I've read on the forum and around the net. As a teen, your body is still growing naturally. If you are a teen, your best bet is to visit the teen section and ask around. This is important: the way the whole calorie thing works is entirely different for teens and adults. All I will say is from what I've read, teens simply need to eat a good, solid diet, not too much junk, lift heavy and get enough sleep. :)

I'm...ahem... most certainly not a teen...

For what it's worth:

I am: 127lbs and 5ft 6in. I'm short, I'm thin (apart from my goddamn stomach worse luck) and I am sick of it. I can't do anything about my height, but by God I can do something about the other aspects! The forums are full of people who started off like me, and are now 150lb or 160lb with amazing physiques. It can be done, but it takes time, dedication and a lot of patience.

I'm eating approx 2,900 calories per day, of which approx 120-150g is protein. When I started tracking I set a target of 2,600 calories but when my weight gain stopped dead for three weeks, I added a few hundred for one week to see what happens. If I've gained more than a pound at the end of this week, then the calories were raised too much, and I'll lower it accordingly. If it's around .5lb to 1lb then that's what I need to eat to continue to gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread