ICC 2009 review by IGN AU

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't possibly expect me (any of us) to comment on such internal matters.

Yogy

Club Cricketer
What is the need to care about these reviews when you love this game ?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
TAOC? Admirable effort, but it's taken how long?

I don't think any of us are under the illusion that things can't be improved, but I've stated we are making steps for 2010.

But, surely you could improve lots in the game with no budget in 10 years. In 10 years, you don't need much budget. ;)

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
It's still not possible to view a player's attributes, so guesswork still plays a large part in picking and choosing a youth squad. You have to persist with players until their playing stats prove them a potential legend or a dud, which can take many games

That's the best part for me. I like picking players from the youth squad that average 55+ and they end up being duds. It more like real life. I hope they don't give us player ratings.

Fluroescent

School Cricketer
That's the best part for me. I like picking players from the youth squad that average 55+ and they end up being duds. It more like real life. I hope they don't give us player ratings.
That's definitely nothing like real life at all, since in real life you can see the range of a player's abilities for yourself, thus affixing attributes to them and noticing for yourself which player would be destined for greatness -- this was how many, many talented young players like James Anderson and Shahid Afridi were fast tracked to first class cricket, without needing to go through the second team (and in many cases for other young players blooded straight into international cricket: first class cricket itself). Real gems are uncovered at a young age in real life through intelligent coaches and scouts noticing their abilities, talents and skills, not through averages in second team cricket -- that's what separates the great scouts, and coaches, from the rest. The fact that the game doesn't reflect this extremely important factor in modern-day cricket, and in indeed every sport -- scouting -- shows a major lack of substance within the game. I'm therefore not surprised that it has been cited as one of the many reasons for the series' poor reception by professional game reviewers.

Last edited:

Shri

Club Cricketer
That's definitely nothing like real life at all, since in real life you can see the range of a player's abilities for yourself, thus affixing attributes to them and noticing for yourself which player would be destined for greatness -- this was how many, many talented young players like James Anderson and Shahid Afridi were fast tracked to first class cricket, without needing to go through the second team (and in many cases for other young players blooded straight into international cricket: first class cricket itself). Real gems are uncovered at a young age in real life through intelligent coaches and scouts noticing their abilities, talents and skills, not through averages in second team cricket -- that's what separates the great scouts, and coaches, from the rest. The fact that the game doesn't reflect this extremely important factor in modern-day cricket, and in indeed every sport -- scouting -- shows a major lack of substance within the game. I'm therefore not surprised that it has been cited as one of the many reasons for the series' poor reception by professional game reviewers.
Agree with this.

Hitterman

International Coach
I played ICC 2009 for nearly 2 hours and I even compared it to ICC 2008. There are many improvements like in the gameplay and shots. New shots are looking realistic. It's not that bad as described by IGN AU in their official review.

I would like to give 7.5/10 but I think this time, CC09 has taken some lead as they have up-to-date database.

Users who are viewing this thread