ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Enough rules bitching - lets get some real news!

Champions Trophy 2013 : Australia keep Champions Trophy probables list secret | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

Australia want to keep their 30 man squad a secret! That's interesting...question is why?? There's only a couple of reasons I can think of:
1) They want players in the IPL who aren't on the 30 man list to play hard in the hopes they'll make the squad ie. keep all Aussie players hopeful of a spot.
2) They've named some players in the 30 that are...questionable? Controversial? Don't know! You don't have to pick your final 15 from the 30 anyway...so I'm not sure why it's a huge issue. The player in question is probably Mr Fawad Ahmed, the leg spinner who technically hasn't qualified to play for Australia yet. He could play as soon as he gets a passport though, which could be as quickly as the Immigration department allows. Maybe they've named Mike Hussey in the 30 man squad, and don't want anyone to know...
3) On the reverse of that, maybe they've left out a player or 2 from the 30 man squad and don't want the world to know yet eg. David Warner or Matthew Wade who's ODI form has been lean, or maybe Shane Watson for his disciplinary concerns, or Michael Clarke because of back problems. I can't really think of anyone else who'd be a 'shock' omission.

Could be that the selectors are just sick of being in the cricket news, and figure they'll get less grief for 'hiding' their squad, than for picking a 30 man squad openly for everyone to pick apart.

I'm almost certain its because they are about the pick a another crap squad. I keep saying the Inverarity panel don't know what they are doing.

Although the Fawad Ahmed scenario would be interesitng ha

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
They have a conversational board :D .

Interesting TBH , but it maybe the 1st reason :) .

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I'm almost certain its because they are about the pick a another crap squad. I keep saying the Inverarity panel don't know what they are doing.

Although the Fawad Ahmed scenario would be interesitng ha

I just can't imagine who it could possibly be that would be so 'out there'. General public should be used to unimpressive names being put forward by now, so I don't see why they'd be ashamed.

I had a go at selecting my 15 anyway:
Watson
Hughes
S.Marsh (could put him lower to get an extra leftie down there, and get Clarke in earlier)
Clarke
Bailey
Voges
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
McKay
Doherty
Reserves: Warner, S.Smith, Starc, Hilfenhaus
Selectors won't be too far different to that I'd say: Starc and Warner will be first XI rather than on the bench. Maxwell will be in the squad somewhere no doubt...for Smith probably. Wade will be in for Haddin. Hilfenhaus might not be the 5th paceman, Pattinson might be fit in time or Harris given a go etc.

Naming 15 others and I get a 30 man squad to include such luminaries as:
9 more Batsmen/all-rounders/keepers: Finch, Khawaja, Ferguson, Burns, D.Hussey, Quiney, Maxwell, Henriques, Wade
5 more quicks: Pattinson, Harris, Coulter-Nile, Cutting, McDermott/Sandhu/Richardson
1 more spinner: Fawad Ahmed

Not that great, but definitely nothing to be ashamed of for the selectors if their squad is anything like this.

Last edited:

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
I'd pick Hilfenhaus ahead of Faulkner even though hes made a good start . Hilfy swings the ball a lot , which is natural with his action & in England there is a lot swing . Plus Hilfy can sometimes bat . Marsh is/was coming out of injury so don't expect him to be in good knick .

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Whats interesting to see Sehwag Zaheer and Harbhajan not in the probables. Good decision IMO by the selectors who are doing fab job :clap

This should be the 18 men squad

MS Dhoni, Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli,Manoj Tiwary, Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, R AShwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Parvez Rasool, Ashok Dinda, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Irfan Pathan,Mohammed Shami

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
MS Dhoni, Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli,Manoj Tiwary, Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, R AShwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Parvez Rasool, Ashok Dinda, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Irfan Pathan,Mohammed Shami

No, it's better that he plays for Pakistan.

Probables: M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Gautam Gambhir, Unmukt Chand, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary, Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, MS Dhoni, Wriddhiman Saha, Dinesh Karthik, R Ashwin, Amit Mishra, Ravindra Jadeja, Jalaj Saxena, Parvez Rasool, Ishant Sharma, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Umesh Yadav, Shami Ahmed, Irfan Pathan, Vinay Kumar, Praveen Kumar, Ishwar Pandey, Siddarth Kaul.

Very interesting squad. Lots of new young players which is always good to see.Finally they are being rewarded for their performance in Ranji trophy. It's good to see Amit Mishra in there. Not great numbers for him but still better than Piyush Chawla. It's also nice to see the likes of Siddharth Kaul and Ishwar Pandey. There is not much experience in the bowling but hopefully it will be a good learning curve for them. I don't really understand what's wrong with Varun Aaron? That guy has been injured for more than a year now and there is absolutely no news about him. Has he retire or something?

Final 15 should be something like this:

Murli Vijay/Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
Gautam Gambhir
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Manoj Tiwary
MS Dhoni
R Ashwin
Amit Mishra
Irfan Pathan
Umesh Yadav
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Praveen Kumar
Shami Ahmed

Epic

Panel of Selectors
It's apparently not mandatory to pick your final 15 out of the probable 30, so maybe that explains why CA have gone with a more secret approach.

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
That looks almost like the line-up they used in the 2011 World Cup , only Cokkie in for Andrew .

Users who are viewing this thread