ICC study reveals that 99% chuck

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's called straighening of the arm as that is what is against the laws of the game. Bowling with a bent arm is 100% legal and always has been.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Okay now I am getting seriously confused. Are there any resources with animations and stuff that will allow me to properly understand all this data. All I am getting are figures. Where is the flexing degree located. Between which two legs (I mean the forearm and the upper arm or what?).

hbkjai

School Cricketer
I hope you've got your doubts cleared man.. And just to touch upon some of the things you said- All the ICC may do [ and may need to do] is still rely upon the umpires to call a bowler.. and then the usual process of analysing an action will continue I think..[with some changes in the time frame].. Anyways my point is that the only thing that has been changed is the limit.. as you can see.. And they dont need to install the 250 fps camera.. but then again this camera is very useful in other situations like the run-out scenario.. or maybe even a catch being disputed over.. as this camera pretty much guarantees that no frame is missed.. It was awesome to watch the replays from that cam dude.. Any way what I'm saying is.. there used to be no third umpire with the help of the camera to decide on line calls before.. The ICC brought that in simply because it had to! I'm sure this was another added expense to the whole process of setting up a stadium for a match.. But the fact is if all over the world it's being done.. be it first class or international cricket.. then I see no reason why it would be impossible to do the same with the 250fps camera.. !
The whole idea of limits have been cleared up I hope.. if a bowler had been bowling at 17-20 degrees, he wouldn't have made it to the international stage because anything above 15 degrees is visible to us!! So there's no use saying - 'what if they found every one was bowling at 20', simply because that hasnt happened and wont happen at all!!!And you can bend your arm at any degree and bowl.. I mean even 90 degrees at the elbow.. provided you dont straighten your arm just before delivery beyond the permitted limits.. I hope that's clear enough! That's where Murali had a problem cuz not too many people know that you can in fact bend your arm and bowl as mentioned above.. and he had a bend in his arm as a result of a congenital defect apparently.. all this coupled with his 'rubber' wrist did give us one heck of an illusion.. And in a land where the Prime Minister publicly calls a bowler a chucker, its not at all surprising that Daryl Hair did that.. Yeah I saw the whole thing too.. It was awesome to see Arjuna lead his team off the field..! Anyway he probably called it because this was something so un orthodox, he simply couldn't believe it was within the law.. or maybe he had a hidden agenda.. who knows!! Either way, you can call it if you can see it basically!! I mean the umpire looks up as soon as the bowler's feet lands right.. so he still has time to see it..
And we assign numbers simply because that's the best we can do at this moment.. If the technology is available to us to analyse actions which takes out the human element.. we have to use it.. And if it means that we assign certain numbers to situations, so be it! After all the bends and the angles will always be there..Not even the martians can do anything about it :D Anyone still awake?

Hondo

Club Cricketer
I would like to see our what little Johnny Howard got to say about the other Aussie bowlers now that science have shown they chuck as well.

Politicians really should stay out cricket.

hbkjai

School Cricketer
Ha ha yeah.. sure did make an ass out of a lotta people.. Precisely why many have problems with accepting it..

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
hbkjai said:
mean even 90 degrees at the elbow.. provided you dont straighten your arm just before delivery beyond the permitted limits.. I hope that's clear enough! That's where Murali had a problem cuz not too many people know that you can in fact bend your arm and bowl as mentioned above.. and he had a bend in his arm as a result of a congenital defect apparently.. all this coupled with his 'rubber' wrist did give us one heck of an illusion.. And in a land where the Prime Minister publicly calls a bowler a chucker, its not at all surprising that Daryl Hair did that..

The first Aussie umpire to call Murali, Emerson (can't remember his first name) to this day still says that bowling with a bent arm is against the laws of the game. You have to wonder how he became a test umpire.

brad352

Executive member
andrew_nixon said:
The first Aussie umpire to call Murali, Emerson (can't remember his first name) to this day still says that bowling with a bent arm is against the laws of the game. You have to wonder how he became a test umpire.
He's not a Test umpire, he only ever did one dayers- his first name is Ross btw

Users who are viewing this thread