Idea for selection

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was flicking through BBC teletext last night and thinking about England's almost seemingly random selection of some players, like they've been picked out of a hat or something.

I wondered if there couldn't be a structure in place, for England and other countries maybe as well, whereby the selectors have to recognise the domestic achievements of players with selection.

Basically the idea is you set an age group of say 19-25 and the national side has to pick the best batsman, bowler and all-rounder in their squad that meets the qualifying standards. I'd probably do it over two years, the all-rounder might need to have a conversion of wickets to run equivalents like fantasy cricket gave 20 points for wickets to one point per run.

This would reward players who have been the best in the category, if England pick that player (on merit/other reason) anyway then they don't necessarily have to pick the second best, but can. It might mean squads have to be slightly bigger, but at least England won't keep picking blasts from the past or one cap wonders, or reverting to one of their own who's come back from injury but done nothing to merit reselection.

Of course this is only the seedling of an idea, the age limit hitting the target rather than just seeing someone over 30 doing well in the domestic cups or something and picking them. In truth England should have a very similar system already, but somehow when I see Tremlett and Carberry plucked out of thin air.

Carberry has a decent 47.10 average in the CB40, Luke Wright has a better average as does Hildreth, Kieswetter, Bairstow, Patel, Davies, Muchall, Key, and others that without checking I can't be 100% sure are English qualified, but the point is why is he being picked now? Looking at the two balls he faced in the other ODI his technique looks like he's a wicket in waiting, his (lack of) foot movement would make any bowler of any description. A carved, but fairly leaden footed shot for four followed by out. How he got a Test call up I don't know.

Anyway, rather than focus on individual selections, and I'm sure Tremlett has worse than very average figures this season, I'll return to the idea that selectors should have to pick players who are top of that age group in the averages/points table (all-rounders) over a fixed period of probably the previous season and current, maybe a bit longer. Maybe a minimum requirement be set of X runs/wickets or Y average, but essentially if they are mixing it with the foreign mercenaries and county old hands, pick them.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well, it's up to you but if I was running a national team I wouldn't be going near that with barge pole.

you even mention ramprakash, he's exaclty the sort of player that would ruin this, a county behmoth but couldn't hack it at international level. you'd get lead-footed plonkers blocking potential geniuses because the former had battered a few 100s on a road.

it would give australia a good excuse for constantly picking phil hughes, mind.

Owzat

International Coach
well, it's up to you but if I was running a national team I wouldn't be going near that with barge pole.

They wouldn't, but then that's part of the point. It is designed to reward performance, not see players picked ahead of others because their face fits etc

you even mention ramprakash, he's exaclty the sort of player that would ruin this,

He might, but I don't mention him in that post. And actually that would show it does work, while he continued to hammer runs at county level he didn't remain 25 and under his whole career, you've forgotten/overlooked the age limits applied.

He deserved a chance on the basis of scoring runs, but only while at a younger age would he be eligible to be selected in this process

It would give australia a good excuse for constantly picking phil hughes, mind.

Again it wouldn't, unless Hughes stays 25 and under forever. Plus, as mentioned, it would be selected for the squad not the XI, although this policy would have to be protected to make sure countries don't just add three slots to their squad so they can ignore the players altogether.

Personally I think such quotas are a good idea for promoting the younger players' opportunity and could be applied to the England football team with say 4-5 of the 23 man squad having to be say under 23.

In cricket I don't want to see journeyman cricketers who never quite established themselves in the national side recalled every now and then over younger players with more future and just as much chance of success. How often do we see Onions, Tremlett, Bopara, Morgan, etc recalled for Tests? And why on earth are we giving debuts to Carberry, and picking a decent but not particularly long term solution/prospect in Tredwell?

While you let them, they will do it. It's almost like forcing the selectors to apply some selection sense, and the same applies for Rickie Lambert, a couple of goals against the mediocrity of world football at the age of over 30. Why not a younger prospect, someone like Le Fondre or anyone who isn't entering the twilight of their career? It's ironic given Greg Dyke's 2022 fantasy, I'm guessing Lambert isn't going to be there but somehow you just never know - after all they picked Hodgson to manage England, and in the past McClaren and Taylor.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I've always thought the Aussie system was a good one - it's not official of course...But the general idea is to pick younger players and see how they go. I think it works because young players get a taste of top level cricket, and even if they fail hard on their first or second stint in the team a la Phil Hughes, they at least have a far better idea of what's required to succeed than if they'd been overlooked.

Not sure I'd make it an official selection system though, as you just create divides in the playing group. Older players would hate that young players are reserved a spot, (partly) regardless of merit, younger players may not get the boost of confidence they should eg. thinking 'ive only been picked because of my age'. It's the same thing that happens with South Africa's quota system, or even other things like having a certain percentage of women in parliament or board positions at companies, or having a certain mix of races/sexual orientations on TV shows. It's nice in theory, but I think it practice it tends to be a bit unsettling to all involved.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
This must fit somewhere in the top 10 worst ideas Owzat has had in his time? Maybe top 3.

Bluey Zarsoff

School Cricketer
I wondered if there couldn't be a structure in place, for England and other countries maybe as well, whereby the selectors have to recognise the domestic achievements of players with selection.

They do.

Users who are viewing this thread