India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Forget it all, Dhoni is going to go mental here in all likelihood ! Also Why is Broad not bowling at Aaron, surely he wants revenge.[DOUBLEPOST=1408113239][/DOUBLEPOST]Let the innings finish, there is a rather interesting stat comparison on Anderson and Steyn that I would like to throw out there, that will really put a lot of the debate to rest. That is still not taking anything away from the fact that Anderson for the Indians has been unplayable.

Last edited:
There are two interesting observations on this series.

1) Usually India want ODIs before tests so that the Batsmen could get accustomed to the pitches. However oddly as the tour has gone on, far from the Batters getting accustomed to the conditions, they have gradually gotten worse !!

2) Usually the crowd on India's tour to Eng has been full of Indians traveling from India, or Indian expats who live in Eng. So even though it was in Eng, the crowd reaction would be very pro-India. For example, if there was a third umpire call on an Indian batsman run out, and he was given not out the crowd would cheer, or if India got a wicket, crowd would cheer, and nothing when Eng got a wicket. AN Ind boundary was cheered much more than, Eng boundary. I remember there was an ODI series 2007 perhaps, Paul Collingwood was the captain, and I remember in a few of the matches the Ind crowd boo-ed Eng, who were playing in Eng. I remember Collingwood, even said that Eng fans need to come to the grounds more, as Eng cannot be getting booed in England.

This series there is definitely that change I notice ... its not the Indians, travellers or expats, who are coming to the grounds, but the actual eng supporters. I have hardly seen any Indian flags in the crowd. So Long story short, cricket is on the up again in England, and that is a great thing for world cricket. I would want India to win the world Cup next year obv, but failing that, I would like Eng to win. If they win the world cup, with the positive influx of the general public towards cricket, the popularity of cricket would go through the roof. Especially with their football team in the state they are. Cricket could do with a final boost in Eng, and the world cup will provide that. Trust me win all the Ashes you want, but a World Cup win is 100000 times sweeter, than winning a test series.

We might actually fold under 100 today .. MSD fights on !

I would still say that there is very little MR.process can do here.He is doing his best as batsman and keeper, as captain not much he can do when your batsman are not putting runs on board

So you are saying his selection of Binny was not wrong? Shall I tell you why he picked Binny? Because when Binny played at Trent Bridge and Lord's, India managed a draw and a win (even though Binny did not contribute or was not allowed to contribute ANYTHING to those two test matches). This itself says Dhoni is completely jumbled and screwed up, and needs to get out of captaincy for his own and the team's sake.

So you are saying his selection of Binny was not wrong? Shall I tell you why he picked Binny? Because when Binny played at Trent Bridge and Lord's, India managed a draw and a win (even though Binny did not contribute or was not allowed to contribute ANYTHING to those two test matches). This itself says Dhoni is completely jumbled and screwed up, and needs to get out of captaincy for his own and the team's sake.

Binny was not played cos he is a lucky mascot. Dhoni wanted an extra batsman, who could not be Rohit. So that left him 2 options, either play both Dhawan and Gambhir, or play Binny. That Binny could bowl on a greenish wicket (where playing 2 spinners was pointless), tilted it for Binny.

at best we could have had dhawan/rohit/pankaj there, dont see that changing the scorecard much.

Poker,
There are two interesting observations on this series.

1) Usually India want ODIs before tests so that the Batsmen could get accustomed to the pitches. However oddly as the tour has gone on, far from the Batters getting accustomed to the conditions, they have gradually gotten worse !!

2) Usually the crowd on India's tour to Eng has been full of Indians traveling from India, or Indian expats who live in Eng. So even though it was in Eng, the crowd reaction would be very pro-India. For example, if there was a third umpire call on an Indian batsman run out, and he was given not out the crowd would cheer, or if India got a wicket, crowd would cheer, and nothing when Eng got a wicket. AN Ind boundary was cheered much more than, Eng boundary. I remember there was an ODI series 2007 perhaps, Paul Collingwood was the captain, and I remember in a few of the matches the Ind crowd boo-ed Eng, who were playing in Eng. I remember Collingwood, even said that Eng fans need to come to the grounds more, as Eng cannot be getting booed in England.

This series there is definitely that change I notice ... its not the Indians, travellers or expats, who are coming to the grounds, but the actual eng supporters. I have hardly seen any Indian flags in the crowd. So Long story short, cricket is on the up again in England, and that is a great thing for world cricket. I would want India to win the world Cup next year obv, but failing that, I would like Eng to win. If they win the world cup, with the positive influx of the general public towards cricket, the popularity of cricket would go through the roof. Especially with their football team in the state they are. Cricket could do with a final boost in Eng, and the world cup will provide that. Trust me win all the Ashes you want, but a World Cup win is 100000 times sweeter, than winning a test series.

I think cricket in India itself is on the decline. The Kabaddi League that is on at the moment is being followed a lot more than the cricket. I don`t see people caring about the results anymore. If we keep performing this way, I fear cricket is going the way of Indian hockey. If any side needs a WC win to gee them up, its India atm. It says a lot if Kabaddi is the most watched sport for a good 3 weeks or so with a tour of England in progress at the same time.

Poker,

I think cricket in India itself is on the decline. The Kabaddi League that is on at the moment is being followed a lot more than the cricket. I don`t see people caring about the results anymore. If we keep performing this way, I fear cricket is going the way of Indian hockey. If any side needs a WC win to gee them up, its India atm. It says a lot if Kabaddi is the most watched sport for a good 3 weeks or so with a tour of England in progress at the same time.

LOL. where are you getting this news about more people watching Kabaddi over cricket ?
Indian has had similar (worse) phases with the cricket team and it has hardly caused even a minor dent in the fan following. It would take 5-10 years worth of crap performance for cricket to go the hockey way in India

Atleast we got to 100
Poker,

Well yes Kabaddi league has done well, but that it is in a position to challenge the popularity of cricket is a huge stretch, astronomical almost.

Also I think Ravi Shashtri on commentary confirmed that the WI series scheduled in Oct Nov is going to go ahead, just watch the interest return for that one. When India are getting whipped ppl do follow the scores less. Remember 2011 tours to Eng and Aus. Atleast this is not a whitewash, on those two tours even fewer ppl were talking about it or watching it.

Remember the craze during the Asia Cup? And its not even that major a tournament.

I dont think Binny's inclusion is stupid.A medium pacer Binny is always better than a wicketless Jadeja.Dhoni big fight makes 100 for India.

Reached triple figures - in with a good chance to win this match now

--

Yet another trying effort from MSD. 4 50s in trying conditions. Bet no one saw that coming. One way to a triple ton

Last edited:
Super 50 from the Captain ... Super.[DOUBLEPOST=1408116070][/DOUBLEPOST]Lol Joe Root ... first I have seen any one wear a helmet and field in the Slips ... I know he is standing at Short leg from time to time, but still funny.[DOUBLEPOST=1408116103][/DOUBLEPOST]I second Inning I want Dhoni to come at #3 - While we are at it, lets have Ishat and Ashwin open :D

Last edited:

Hmm ha, not too sure about that my friend. I have indeed noticed less Indians coming out this year - but i won't necessarily put that down to crickett being on the up necessarily over here. Ticket prices for tests are expensive, you might have heard that the average fan would just pay for one day. And also there is a regular set of rich white cricket fans, who buy tickets every year. Asians and blacks being the minority who struggling to make ends meet these days under this conservative government probably don't have the funds to go cricket this yeaar in droves. I tried to get tickets for lord's on some day, but failed this year for eg.

Black people especially aren't at the cricket, it hasn't penetrated my generation since Windies team declined - we all for football up here. Majority UK black ppl view cricket as an elite posh sport that their uncles/fathers/grandparents of caribbean heritage like.

Even if ENG win next world cup, it won't move cricket over football. It didn't when ENG won T20 world cup nor when the rugby team (rugby's following is equal to cricket) won 2003 cup. Sadly the ENG national football teams last 40 years of struggles has left the nation either not interested or disillusions with that team. Alot of ENG footy fans care more about their club teams.

Ashes wins/success is still held in higher regard for ENG than winning a world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread