India to host world cup final

wolf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
India lands 2011 World Cup final

India will stage the Cricket World Cup final for the first time in 2011, the organisers have agreed.
They were confirmed as co-hosts of the event with Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at this week's International Cricket Council conference in London.

Pakistan hosted the final the last time the World Cup was played in Asia 10 years ago.

But Pakistan and Sri Lanka will stage semi-finals in 2011, with the opening ceremony taking place in Bangladesh.

"It has been decided that all four should evenly play a part in hosting the major events of the tournament," said Pakistan Cricket Board director Abbas Zaidi.

The Asian bid was preferred to a joint application from Australia and New Zealand for the 2011 showpiece.

And officials have already expressed their determination to make it the best World Cup in the tournament's history.

"Traffic will come to a stop in the four countries in 2011. There will be more than a billion (TV) viewers in the sub-continent, and another billion in the rest of the world," India's Inderjit Singh Bindra has said.

India will stage 22 matches, Pakistan 16, Sri Lanka nine and Bangladesh six.

Among the potential venues for the final would be Eden Gardens in Calcutta, which has a capacity of 90,000, the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai (Bombay), the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore, or the Feroz Shaha Kotla in Delhi.

With thanks to BBC sport.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The Eden should get it.
but it seems highly unlikely seeing that Mr Pawar is still in the supremo position.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I hope Eden Gardens doesn't get it. It'll be difficult to see 90,000 foreign spectators fill up the stadium if India doesn't make it. And if India makes it to the final and there's no Ganguly, it'll be heartbreaking for the rest of the country.

Biased, maybe, but the Kolkata general cricketing public have a lot to do to regain any respect they had, in my eyes.

I hope the Wankhede gets it, but with them hosting the ICC Champions Trophy final, we may well see Delhi get the final. It would probably be best, seeing as Delhi has the widest roads in the country. :D

James219

International Cricketer
sohummisra said:
And if India makes it to the final and there's no Ganguly, it'll be heartbreaking for the rest of the country.

2011? I think it'd be safe enough to say that Ganguly won't be playing, regardless.....;)

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
sohummisra said:
I hope Eden Gardens doesn't get it. It'll be difficult to see 90,000 foreign spectators fill up the stadium if India doesn't make it. And if India makes it to the final and there's no Ganguly, it'll be heartbreaking for the rest of the country.

Biased, maybe, but the Kolkata general cricketing public have a lot to do to regain any respect they had, in my eyes.

I hope the Wankhede gets it, but with them hosting the ICC Champions Trophy final, we may well see Delhi get the final. It would probably be best, seeing as Delhi has the widest roads in the country. :D
New Delhi is one of the unpopular places, despite being the capital. It may have wide roads, but i prefer the final going either to Kolkata or Mumbai or Bangalore. They might end up choosing Mumbai or Kolkata.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm... Will be nice to see Pakistan hold the Cup in India :D.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
sohummisra said:
They'll still complain. :D

I think the crowd would be abated by then!!

But Eden shouldnt get it. Its a very unsupportive crowd most often! I feel Chennai should get it. I am not saying this because I hail from that place, but because the ground is one of the most historic ones in India, has a penchant for classic matches, the crowd there loves the game and has the highest knowledge of the game. And tell me one instance where you have heard reports of crowd disturbances in a match held in the MAC stadium in Chennai. You will find it hard to name one!

usy said:
Hmm... Will be nice to see Pakistan hold the Cup in India :D.

In their wildest dreams! lolzz.

just joking.. anything can happen between now and 2011. I can play for india in that world cup (this is not a joke, it can happen still), this world can come to an end, pakistan can start winning world cups, etc..lolzz.. (again, joking).

cricket_lover said:
New Delhi is one of the unpopular places, despite being the capital. It may have wide roads, but i prefer the final going either to Kolkata or Mumbai or Bangalore. They might end up choosing Mumbai or Kolkata.

New Delhi stadium is undergoing a big change.. Who knows? The stadium might be ready to host a World Cup final by 2011.

I for one feel, Chennai should host the final of the World Cup 2011. Chennai is one of the best stadiums in India (definitely among the top 3)!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well,there may well be a new stadium in some place of India by that time.
Ahmedabad,Mohali,Delhi,Mumbai,Calcutta,Chennai,Bangalore and Kanpur are the major venues in India.
Any of these might get to host it.
They would undergo a sea-change by 2011.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
They may even build a new stadium somewhere. BCCI has a lot of money to spend, and they should spend it here.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think the final should be played in Delhi, as I strongly believe that the capital city should host the end of a major sporting event.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sure it will be hosted in a World Class stadium in India.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Skateboarder said:
I think the final should be played in Delhi, as I strongly believe that the capital city should host the end of a major sporting event.
Yeah, but you see Delhi is not as commanding a capital as maybe London or Paris. It's a bit like hosting the Olympics in Sydney and not Canberra. I understand where you're coming from but there are plenty of other important cities. I suppose it's between Delhi, Kolkatta, Mumbai and Chennai. Mumbai will probably get it, maybe Eden Gardens.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
saisrini80 said:
New Delhi stadium is undergoing a big change.. Who knows? The stadium might be ready to host a World Cup final by 2011.

I for one feel, Chennai should host the final of the World Cup 2011. Chennai is one of the best stadiums in India (definitely among the top 3)!
to stage a big event like the world cup, and even the finals, you just don't need a good stadium.

You'll need more than that.

Chennai is not a bad place, people are very welcoming and the stadium is less than a km. from Marina and Santhome beaches. I've been there many times:D .

It will be nice if the weather is friendly as well. Bangalore may also have a chance, but i think the the Mumbai will get the turn to hold the final.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Wherever it is held, I hope all the involved countries spend good money improving the stadiums and the surrounding roads and such.

Users who are viewing this thread