Indian Premier League - General Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This tournament is now a "lost case". But I am still not going to blame the BCCI for choosing the host it in India. Yes they need this tournament for the money it generates and all those words about "humanity" are just marketing (just like how ICC and its member boards market cricket being played between private cricket boards as "international cricket" "playing cricket for your country", "performing for your country", "bringing pride to your country", "performing national duty for your country", etc.). All of this is MARKETING and none of it MATTERS. The mere thought of "playing for India or Pakistan or Sri Lanka etc..." is marketing on which every sport cashes in the money.

With this pandemic, people have gotten it all wrong in all areas. Many thought that with vaccination starting and with international games being hosted in India, it it time to bring IPL back to India. UAE was on standby, but the happenings were all in favor of IPL happening in India. If I remember, I was even disappointed that the IPL did not have 50% crowd but right now, that thought of mine looks stupid but at that time, my thought process was not as stupid. Things have just been evolving at such a rapid pace with this pandemic.

The only thing to do here now is - put a pause on the IPL immediately. Whether they find another window to finish the rest of the tournament or whether they scrape it altogether and move on the mega auctions is something they need to choose. I would personally not even think of restarting this tournament if its put on hold right now. The inter-national calendar is already a mess and if at all any cricket can happen, inter-national will take precedence. It would be best to prepare the two new teams, hold the mega auction this year and start from IPL 2022. Hopefully by then the world would be in a much better place. And the financial fallout from not playing the remaining part of IPL 2021 needs to be borne by the BCCI with the hope that the future revenues would cover up for it.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Classic case of someone not knowing the facts and blaming individuals. The IPL employs about 1200 Indians. It is bigger than the World Cup for us. I was the first one to say it should have been put in the UAE but it is not Ganguly that makes these calls alone. There is a humongous political cloud over Indian cricket now because of the money involved. There is a reason the BCCI does not decide if we play Pakistan or not but no one cares if we play them elsewhere. It's just bollywood and cricket because it generates cash. Look at how many BCCI administrators are also high ranked politicians. Hell, even the presidents have been very high level ministers. The BCCI secretary is the son of the second most powerful man in India. You might not know, but the ruling party was paying Ganguly a bomb to run for CM in Bengal and it is just his capacity here in Bengal that he refused and believe me, it was very very difficult for him to do so.

About 1200 people and god knows how many industries literally work only during the 2 months this carnival operates. There is a lot of unnecessary hysteria around the IPL but it is not a super spreader event. I have an issue with the amount of resources wasted on this circus instead of the people that need them but the decision to move this to the UAE is not down to one individual even if it is Sourav Ganguly. He answers to the secretary's pop who is only second to our PM.

Please don't compare the IPL to the PSL. The IPL bubble is extremely professionally managed. The hotels they stay in would require a fly to get tested to seep in. This is an unfortunate turn of events in a fluidic situation where the breech has happened when a player left for a scan and then contracted it. Also, the chances of contracting Covid in India right now are at an alarming 60-70% if you venture out based on the data today so you can imagine how tough life is.

The IPL and life has to happen, it just needed to happen in the UAE and if not then at a later time. As far as the WorldT20 is concerned, if it is anytime from October, I expect India to regain control of the situation by then specially if there is a lockdown which I think is not happening but some people say it's inevitable.
Your point about politics is spot on, but no need to get triggered upon seeing the comparison between IPL and PSL. He was just pointing out that outbreaks happened in both leagues. Most of us on this forum enjoy the cricket in the IPL without thinking about anything beyond or bringing any toxicity.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Your point about politics is spot on, but no need to get triggered upon seeing the comparison between IPL and PSL. He was just pointing out that outbreaks happened in both leagues. Most of us on this forum enjoy the cricket in the IPL without thinking about anything beyond or bringing any toxicity.
Yet he forgets with all that hoopla he talked there are breeches in ipl too.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And the "SENSIBLE" guys make a decision to move the entire tournament to MUMBAI! Like what the fearsome tweak!

Maharashtra has recovered well or I must say we're recovering well but this would make a huge impact and the situation might get out of control. The supreme leader might have some politics in this maybe to regain government in Maharashtra claiming that the current government mismanaged? Modi hai to mumkin hai (Anything is possible with Modi in power).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
And the "SENSIBLE" guys make a decision to move the entire tournament to MUMBAI! Like what the fearsome tweak!

If this happens, I wish they use DY Patil and Wankhede for the IPL games. Those tired pitches are going to take a pounding if all games happen there.

This is a very WILD idea - but why not abandon the games that are to be played between the Top 4 teams on the table as of now (e.g. for the CSK vs RCB or RCB vs DC or DC vs MI, etc. games; give both teams 1 pt each) and then continue to have the games that involve the teams in the bottom four. This way, the bottom four get an opportunity to see if they can move up the ladder and we also save on 6 IPL games and try to finish earlier than original schedule.

B

Bigby Wolf

So back to original Plan?

Remember somewhere in February BCCI wanted one state/one city only - Maharashtra/Mumbai was the option then and now.

Again still not safest option but thing is situation has been controlled here in Mumbai as far covid cases are concerned.

The very first state in the country to impose restrictions since March when case was on the rise.Few of my friends work for BMC/Maharashtra govt officials and they had got some strong information about the whole lockdown planning which was going to impose since March 15 when cases in Mumbai were on the rise (Few cases as per the data from covid centre were on the rise). So the situation is very well controlled here compared to the other states.

Also Mumbai/Pune gives them the option of having multiple venues with less travelling.

Mumbai - CCI, Wankhede & DY Patil.

Pune - MCA stadium

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
This tournament is now a "lost case".
Not really! It only puts a spanner in the works for the WT20. BCCI can kiss hosting that goodbye.

The only thing to do here now is - put a pause on the IPL immediately. Whether they find another window to finish the rest of the tournament or whether they scrape it altogether and move on the mega auctions is something they need to choose.

Pausing the IPL doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons. The games aren't super-spreaders. They are being played entirely behind closed doors and hence the possibility of anyone contracting this at the stadium is close to zero.

What can the BCCI do here?
1. Have all games in one area only, instead of using the caravan model. The govt wont admit, but there are certain states that are shwoing an upward trajectory in terms of Covid cases/deaths

2. Reduce the squad sizes- Allow teams to only travel with 16 members +4 support staff. Teams like MI and CSK carry truckloads of personnel who won't even feature in the final XI. Their support staffs too could make up an entire playing XI

Also Mumbai/Pune gives them the option of having multiple venues with less travelling.

Mumbai - CCI, Wankhede & DY Patil.

From the reports, it does seem like Maharashtra has this under control. Interesting to see whether they shift the IPL there entirely (as per the original plan)

Alternatively, have all teams played each other at least once? If not, then let them play out the remaining games,post which you can have the play-offs.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

I have nothing to get triggered about. My opinion is pretty well known. The PSL should never have been stopped. You might not be following Formula 1 but last year there were a lot of very senior people that got covid and the races still happened. There was no reason to cancel the PSL but your board is petrified of social media and I stand by my opinion that the PCB is one of the most if not the most unprofessional sporting body in the world. The BCCI has simply improved in this space because of the money at stake. If you see how many resources we have at our disposal we still have the capacity to mess it up as it is on display now. So, there are no triggers here, just a frustrated fan on both sides.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
@LiveLoveABD
  • You are right about the involvement of politics in Cricket!
  • I was just comparing how both IPL & PSL allowed VIP's, people without masks & how 1 case can turn into many)
  • The bubble isn't perfect (Ground staff go outside the bubble when they are off duty FFS)

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
@LiveLoveABD
  • You are right about the involvement of politics in Cricket!
  • I was just comparing how both IPL & PSL allowed VIP's, people without masks & how 1 case can turn into many)
  • The bubble isn't perfect (Ground staff go outside the bubble when they are off duty FFS)

I think the greater worry is the fact that as this pandemic evolves, we know so little about it.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Unfortunate to see the IPL postponed. RCB was on top for the first time in a long time but destiny had other plans.

Serious question marks over the WT20 now...

Users who are viewing this thread