India's Tour Of Sri Lanka Jul-Aug 2012

S

Satan666

Pujara's stats from the Indian A team tour of the West indies, June 2012:

T20 games: 9 and 5
First class games (3 in all): 33, 5| 67, 1|50, 96

Didnt even make a century against the West Indies A team, (I remind you WI are ranked number 8 and have been probably the worst test playing nation since the mid 90's). Maybe Pujara played well in the last test but it only shows that he still isnt ready for international cricket as yet! Still think I got the wrong guy?

Stats taken from cricinfo.

Cheteshwar Pujara | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

----------

As for Rahane having a batting average of 63 runs playing on the roads in India isnt worth crap.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Didnt even make a century against the West Indies A team, (I remind you WI are ranked number 8 and have been probably the worst test playing nation since the mid 90's). Maybe Pujara played well in the last test but it only shows that he still isnt ready for international cricket as yet! Still think I got the wrong guy?

Cheteshwar Pujara | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

----------

As for Rahane having a batting average of 63 runs playing on the roads in India isnt worth crap.

Well, going by your expectations, India should stop playing cricket then.

This is the system we have. Pujara and Rahane have been known for playing challenging innings on tough wickets. That 96 he scored against WI A on a tough wicket when one of the opposition's bowlers was almost running through India A was a gem of an innings. He has scored 3 fifties in there. Is that not good enough?

In those days, we didn't have so many A tours. Yet, we found players like Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, etc. You just have to give promising players chances, and find the right guy.

S

Satan666

I agree we need to give 'promising' players a chance, in this case it may be 20 or 30 test matches, these guys would have to learn through many tests, whereas guys like Sachin and Ganguly performed after a handful of tests and the reason for this is India's forward direction with T20 cricket, it is impairing the natural talent mother India is producing. This is why it may be a bad idea to rush out Sharma and Raina so early, maybe they themselves are not being given a good enough chance. All I am saying is that judging from the A team tour these guys dont seem the Gangulys or Tendulkars or even the Laxmans they need assistance in correcting their many technical flaws, if not they would take may test matches to learn them, are you willing to risk that?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Raina is playing at 7, having an average of 30 is acceptable, as all he does is come in at the end and has to slog, and because of that and all the IPL, he has slowly lost the patience needed in ODI and started to lose his wicket when the team need to build

An average of 30 is acceptable at #7 ONLY if you're an all-rounder or a wicketkeeper. If you're there as a batsman - a finisher - then the best finishers have higher averages than the top order batsmen. That's because they are good enough to stay not out and that helps boosts their average eg. Dhoni, Bevan, Hussey.

I agree with whoever said Raina was a flat track, IPL bully. I'd love to see him go to England and play some county stuff or play some Shield in Australia. He's got the talent to be a great player, but I can't see how he's going to actually improve on his current skills.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You want to bring both them in to the side, because they are technique players and not power, which will make them more successful, I am drawing these conclusions after watching the IPL only

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Both Pujara and Rahane performed way below average in the A' series in West Indies. I do not see them as anything special, they need a lot more work to perform in international cricket.

Rahane agreed, he performed below expectation. But from the little that I have seen him play, I can say that he deserves more chances.

----------

Are you out of your mind ? The only Indian who performed on the tour and you just bring up a stupid- He didnt even score a century . i really didnt know that scoring 100s was the only way one could be considered for selection.

WI are ranked 8, yes. BD were ranked 10, when NZ lost to them .Does it mean they ought to stop playing cricket altogether ?

Well, going by your expectations, India should stop playing cricket then.

Thats what he has said even in the India-NZL thread too. Seems like he has a hatred against our country.

I agree we need to give 'promising' players a chance, in this case it may be 20 or 30 test matches, these guys would have to learn through many tests, whereas guys like Sachin and Ganguly performed after a handful of tests and the reason for this is India's forward direction with T20 cricket, it is impairing the natural talent mother India is producing. This is why it may be a bad idea to rush out Sharma and Raina so early, maybe they themselves are not being given a good enough chance. All I am saying is that judging from the A team tour these guys dont seem the Gangulys or Tendulkars or even the Laxmans they need assistance in correcting their many technical flaws, if not they would take may test matches to learn them, are you willing to risk that?

Rahane and Pujara can never be touted as slog fest players for T20. If you say the same about Suresh Raina, then its worth every penny of your argument.

And stop blabbering and blasting the Indians every time.
Go on. Point ut the technical flaws of Rahane and Pujara.

Secodnly, 20-30 tests is too long. You will get a fair bit of idea of the player within a series. Pujara played vs Australia and played magnificently,that too under pressure. Pity he injured himself,else he would have been on the flight down under.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
almost all indians have the same technical problem, they can't play the ball above their waist.

kohli seems to have a decent pull shot, obviously he's also got about a bit about him mentally but technique wise playing a decent pull is about the only major difference between him and all these other indian next big things beyond aesthetics. it baffles me as to why their coaches aren't pointing the bowling machine into the ground and making them practice playing bouncers all day.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
it baffles me as to why their coaches aren't pointing the bowling machine into the ground and making them practice playing bouncers all day.

Throwdowns-it seems they really heavily on throw downs. Wouldn't be surprised if our team didnt have a bowling machine.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
almost all indians have the same technical problem, they can't play the ball above their waist.

kohli seems to have a decent pull shot, obviously he's also got about a bit about him mentally but technique wise playing a decent pull is about the only major difference between him and all these other indian next big things beyond aesthetics. it baffles me as to why their coaches aren't pointing the bowling machine into the ground and making them practice playing bouncers all day.

But they expect the short ball that way and that is why the sub-continental batsmen struggle from it, surprise ball.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Pujara played for India against Australia and scored a crucial 72 in the second innings to set up India's victory. And he did this batting at No.3 (he was promoted that day). We never knew what kind of spark Dravid and Ganguly showed when they played domestic cricket before starting to play for India. But the time has come to give Pujara and Rahane the chances in tests. Atleast for 10 odd tests.

----------

Dhoni and Yuvraj are good pullers too. The issue with them is their temperament when the ball is wobbling around. Dhoni doesn't have the technique to survive such conditions, and Yuvraj doesn't have patience.

S

Satan666

And stop blabbering and blasting the Indians every time.
Go on. Point ut the technical flaws of Rahane and Pujara.

One technical flaw of Pujara is in your original post to which you alluded to, he seems unable to score centuries.

----------

Pujara played for India against Australia and scored a crucial 72 in the second innings to set up India's victory. And he did this batting at No.3 (he was promoted that day). We never knew what kind of spark Dravid and Ganguly showed when they played domestic cricket before starting to play for India. But the time has come to give Pujara and Rahane the chances in tests. Atleast for 10 odd tests.

----------

Dhoni and Yuvraj are good pullers too. The issue with them is their temperament when the ball is wobbling around. Dhoni doesn't have the technique to survive such conditions, and Yuvraj doesn't have patience.

I do agree with you here it is hightime both have a sustained inclusion in the test team but not at the ODI as yet or T20.

Last edited by a moderator:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
How can 'inability to score centuries' be touted as a technical flaw ?:p :lol

Dude, one has to look at the way runs are scored. That way, Sachin Tendulkar should have been out of the Indian team cause he was unable to score a ton for a year.

I do not agree that inability to score 100's should be a criterion for dumping a player.

----------

But they expect the short ball that way and that is why the sub-continental batsmen struggle from it, surprise ball.

India does struggle. Pakistan at times struggle with the swinging delivery. However, I find that the Lankans are more suited to the short stuff and play it quite elegantly.

Another factor which can be considered is the pace of the bowler too.

-------------

Did anyone read the recent article in Cricinfo about Dhoni's Dilemna ?- Rohit or Manoj. The captain does nt seem to give us an idea as to what is happening and who may get the boot.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Well Dhoni's not going to publicly promote one player over another. He has to be diplomatic, trying to both encourage and not discourage both players, even though he knows only one can play.

As for short ball ability...well it's hard to master it when they don't play enough on bouncy pitches. Bowling machines and slow Asian decks aren't really the best prep.

Users who are viewing this thread