South Africa in Sri Lanka - July/August 2013

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
1st ODI: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Colombo (RPS) - Jul 20

2nd ODI: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Colombo (RPS)
Jul 23, 2013 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT)

3rd ODI: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Pallekele
Jul 26, 2013 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT)

4th ODI: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Pallekele
Jul 28, 2013 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT)

5th ODI: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Colombo (RPS)
Jul 31, 2013 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT)

Fri Aug 2
13:30 GMT | 19:00 local
09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT 1st T20I - Sri Lanka v South Africa
R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

Sun Aug 4
09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT 2nd T20I - Sri Lanka v South Africa
Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, Hambantota

Tue Aug 6
09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT 3rd T20I - Sri Lanka v South Africa
Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, Hambantota

South Africa ODI squad: AB de Villiers (capt.), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan Mclaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Aaron Phangiso, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

South Africa T20 squad: Faf du Plessis (capt.), Farhaan Behardien, Henry Davids, Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan McLaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, David Wiese

Sri Lanka squad for first 2 ODI's: Dinesh Chandimal (capt), Lahiru Thirimanne (vice capt), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Angelo Perera, Jehan Mubarak, Rangana Herath, Sachithra Senanayake, Ajantha Mendis, Lasith Malinga, Shaminda Eranga, Thisara Perera, Suranga Lakmal
In: Thisara Perera, Jehan Mubarak, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Angelo Perera
Out: Kusal Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Dilhara Lokuhettige, Jeevan Mendis

----------

So Sangakara has just murdered South Africa in the first ODI.

SA 138/8 (29.0 ov, CH Morris 11*, NLTC Perera 3/30) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
So Sangakara has just murdered South Africa in the first ODI.

One thing I'll never understand, because even if he has, it doesn't make sense. Chandimal should have been at 3 or 4 at max. But the pinch hitting in the last overs meant he had to bat below Perera. Are Sri Lanka really looking forward to build a team? Raises eyebrows :rolleyes

Anyway, another class knock from Sanga. Getting better with age. :clap

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And that's what I call experience . :clap

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
One thing I'll never understand, because even if he has, it doesn't make sense. Chandimal should have been at 3 or 4 at max. But the pinch hitting in the last overs meant he had to bat below Perera. Are Sri Lanka really looking forward to build a team? Raises eyebrows :rolleyes

The problem is they have three players in Mahela, Sangakara, and Chandimal who have pretty much similar role in the team. They all can anchor the innings. India was in exact similar situation when we had Sachin, Gambhir and Kohli in the World Cup 2011 team. I am really not sure what is the solution here because unlike Virat, Chandimal can not play big shots too often. As you said, I guess they should send Chandimal at 3. So their batting order should like this.

Dilshan
Tharanga
Chandimal
Sangakara
Mahela
Thiramane

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Aware of that problem. But this is big time. Saffers have a good bowling attack, so would be good to have Chandimal at 3, need to give more batting chances to such talented guys. :thumbs

The problem teams like Australia face now is that they didn't give a lot of chances to youngsters in the Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, or even in the Waugh brothers time! Hence the results :facepalm

S

Satan666

Aware of that problem. But this is big time. Saffers have a good bowling attack, so would be good to have Chandimal at 3, need to give more batting chances to such talented guys. :thumbs

The problem teams like Australia face now is that they didn't give a lot of chances to youngsters in the Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, or even in the Waugh brothers time! Hence the results :facepalm

Not really vaibad, Phil Hughes is a perfect example of many chances but no results, there were guys like Martin Love and others who averaged high in first class but failed at international level. Cricket is a cycle, the Aussies were top now theyre nearing bottom, similarly the West Indies were winning for almost two decades and theyre losing for almost two decades now. Either SA or England would be the top team for the next decade or so, not sure, but one thing I am sure about Vaibad is that the Indians will never be as dominant as the Aussie and WI teams, guaranteed!

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Hughes wasn't that bad when he first came into the side. But I'll still be determined to give that guy more chances, esp against spin bowling, so that he actually develops into a complete batsman. He will one day for sure. But then it is all about giving opportunities!

Back to thread, Saffers have been dominated today. Just the thing I like about the RSA management is that they are giving guys like Ingram and Miller their chances. They've been playing well in the domestic, and gaining more first team experience will help the team once Smith and Kallis walk out!

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
there's no hard and fast rule. england brought in trott when he was 28 and he performed from the off, india have turned to dhawan at 27 and he's been great in the few chances he's had (we'll wait and see longterm but australia would give anything for someone doing as well as him right now).

some would say that being blooded around older more experienced players means they learn under less pressure but then you have pujara who seemed to thrive on being given more responsibility after dravid and laxman retired, and you hardly say he got much in terms of experience before that anyway. he played 3 tests before they went, came into the side once they'd gone and scored a century.

----------

on the match at hand though, thisara perera is a wonderful one day player.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
100 off his last 46 balls, looks like Kumar Sangakkara has suddenly decided he is Sanath Jayasuriya as well.
Heaven help the bowlers of the world.

As for Chandimal, and Thirimanne, I don't think much of them at this stage, saying they should bat up the order to give them a chance is a bit silly.
It's like saying the careers of two young players who aren't even suited to ODI cricket is more important than Sri Lanka winning.
I know you have to give players a chance when you can, and ODIs are where teams do that, but that is why those two are in the side.
But making them captain, and letting them hog the prime batting spots in every game as well, even if it harms the team's chance of winning, is a bit much, they are already getting enough of a chance anyway.

Last edited:

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
there's no hard and fast rule. england brought in trott when he was 28 and he performed from the off, india have turned to dhawan at 27 and he's been great in the few chances he's had (we'll wait and see longterm but australia would give anything for someone doing as well as him right now).

Given they are in the late 20's(28 or 29 to be precise ) , under performing would simply result in their exclusion from the team. Do they have a choice? It is clear with what happened with Compton - he is 30 and inconsistent performance meant that he is out. But Bairstow is still getting his chances. He's 26 and relatively, did not even have performances at par with Compton before the start of the Ashes, but England still retained him. It is paying off.

The we talk about Cowan. He's out after failing at a consistent basis. The only difference b/w him and Compton is that England have a good bunch of batsmen now, so they would not hesitate to take the risk.
some would say that being blooded around older more experienced players means they learn under less pressure but then you have pujara who seemed to thrive on being given more responsibility after dravid and laxman retired, and you hardly say he got much in terms of experience before that anyway. he played 3 tests before they went, came into the side once they'd gone and scored a century.

I do have a lot of faith in the man. Would have been better to see him perform abroad but he got marred by injuries. We have one coming late in the year though. I'm not saying each and every player would fail, but just in case he had, would you drop him soon or give that guy a chance?
As for Chandimal, and Thirimanne, I don't think much of them at this stage, saying they should bat up the order to give them a chance is a bit silly.
It's like saying the careers of two young players who aren't even suited to ODI cricket is more important than Sri Lanka winning.
I know you have to give players a chance when you can, and ODIs are where teams do that, but that is why those two are in the side.
But making them captain, and letting them hog the prime batting spots in every game as well, even if it harms the team's chance of winning, is a bit much, they are already getting enough of a chance anyway.

Really? Not suited to ODI cricket? Have you seen that much of them? If you're mentioning about Thirimanne's performance in the Caribbean then there were not many players scoring at a good rate due to an obvious reason - pitches were not that easy.

And as for Chandimal who has now played 62 matches :
Batting at no. 3 - 266 runs @ 53.2 with 2 hundreds ( one at Leeds against England) in 9 innings
Batting at no. 4 - 1014 runs @ 31.62 with 8 fifties ( highest of 92* v RSA at East London) in 39 innings.
Batting abroad and neutral - 1230 runs @ 36.735 with 2 hundreds in 43 innings

Now my point is simply to have Chandimal up the order, even if it means either of Jaya or Sanga to shift down, or at worse even to miss out. It is like saying Pujara is not suited for ODI's simply because he bats too defensively in tests, in that case, Root should have never played an ODI!

Giving Chandimal the captaincy does not make sense, not really sure how much will he be involved in team management either.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Feel bad for Robin Peterson. Great player in my opinion. Some sick batting from Thisara Perera, that.
35, was it?

It is clear how difficult it has been to bat throughout the series under lights. Always thought RSA did a good job with the score. Now I've been listening to how people are criticizing the South African selectors for picking up a relatively low side. Though I would differ. They are right in checking who is good/bad at International level. Sad that Ingram missed out today, but he's immensely talented. For sure the reserve opener, whereas Miller again proved his worth lower down the order. The reserve bowlers don't look that good enough, but it is too early to say. Personally, I wouldn't like Behardien in as a regular squad member.

For the match, 80 odd runs are too much for a player like Perera, but lets see if he can prove a point by sticking in.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Another poor ODI series performance by a S Africa team that is not allowed to pick its best players for this format of the game, for reasons that are well known by now.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Another poor ODI series performance by a S Africa team that is not allowed to pick its best players for this format of the game, for reasons that are well known by now.

I just assumed Steyn was injured and Kallis had some 'Personal issues' to address.

Users who are viewing this thread