Johan Botha chucks

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Now prove me wrong, but I think he's chucking. He doesn't have any abnormalities that I know of, but if you look at his arm, there seems to be some chucking going on in the delivery of the ball, particularly in his doosra deliveries.

Any professional opinion on his bowling action?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
His doosra is a chuck and he's banned from bowling it iirc.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Yea

His action is one of those dodgy ones too. So you never know when a stock ball could be a chuck too.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
Going by that, Ajmal would also be classified as a chucker. IMO, he is a chucker. Wasn't he reported by NZ once?

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^A lot of difference between the two. Botha has been asked not to bowl the doosra. There is no such restriction on Ajmal. I was surprised to see botha bowl a few doosra in this series. I wonder when will an official take notice of violation of ICC's instructions.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
This came a while ago I guess. Botha has been out of the scene for a while back in 2009. I'll be checking some vids but was he really bowling doosras?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
His whole action got him banned in 2006 and while his quicker ball and doosra were reported in 2009, all his deliveries were again found to be illegal. He might be bowling legal off breaks now, but he's never really ironed the kink out of it.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
His whole action got him banned in 2006 and while his quicker ball and doosra were reported in 2009, all his deliveries were again found to be illegal. He might be bowling legal off breaks now, but he's never really ironed the kink out of it.

Yea, that's the issue with Botha. Ajmal has never been found in breach of the laws. Botha has. His action is very dodgy.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
From what I understand, the ICC has banned him from bowling the doosra and that was the last I heard of the matter, so as I understand it, any ball that straightens after pitching should be deemed a no ball?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Providing it hasn't hit a crack or any other rare occurrence yeah. When he bowls his doosra his elbow is recorded as bending 26 degrees :eek:

"The doosra delivery was found to have an extension of 26.7 degrees and no single delivery tested was within the legal limit. Botha was told that he could re-apply for the delivery to be tested again once he had modified it, or appeal the decision within 14 days."

And he hasn't reapplied since.

venom2011

Club Cricketer
I've watched pretty much all his overs in the current series and I haven't seen him bowl a doosra yet. Just the usual off-breaks and quicker balls. Sometimes his straight ball can be confused with a doosra.

Botha has a natural deformity in his elbows and they cannot straighten out. That is why his entire action was deemed illegal a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread