Should innovative bowlers be discouraged or encouraged?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Malinga, Muralitharan and Shaun Tait are three of the best bowlers in the world today, mastering little known or new skills in the art of bowling.

Lasith Malinga has developed 'Malinga swing' in which the ball rotates backwards with a seam closer to cross seam than straight seam. He has also got more late swing, later in the delivery than anyone before him and consequently is one of the world's best ODI bowlers.

Muralitharan is arguably the greatest bowler ever. He tops the wicket takers list and has perfected the 'doosra' which only came about in the mid 90s. His accuracy is unrivalled nor is the spin he can impart on the ball on any surface.

Shaun Tait is the fastest bowler in the world in a short spell. His javelin thrower action generates 150kph pace and late swing.

However, all three have had their actions scrutinised at different points of their career. New Zealand have complained in the past about not being able to see Malinga's release infront of the umpire's uniform; Australian umpires have called Murali for chucking as have many members of the media and Shaun Tait has recently been accused of chucking by the New Zealand media.

The question is, should these bowlers who have innovative actions be discouraged or encouraged to continue with their actions in a quest for swing, spin or pace?

lancashire666

International Coach
encouraged compleatly, the only reason anyone complaines about malinga is because they cant play him, the only reason aussie say murali chucks is because they dont want to accept that he is better than warne and tait may have a suspect action but will be within the 15 degree limit, the only worry about him is his strange action may cause him some injury problems in the future, but he is an extreamly exciting young bowler

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Please don't turn this into another Warne vs Muralidaran thread. I will warn everyone right now that any more comparisons will be deleted on sight. We've had enough debate over it and no one can claim to know the answer anyway.

I think that interesting actions bring a lot to the game, if they are legal of course. In all 3 cases, we have had controversy, but Murali is a superstar, and Malinga and Tait seem to have very bright futures.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Please don't turn this into another Warne vs Muralidaran thread. I will warn everyone right now that any more comparisons will be deleted on sight. We've had enough debate over it and no one can claim to know the answer anyway.

Don't worry, Dean, I've got this thread covered:cool:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I love watching Shaun Tait bowl, more than Lasith Malinga, his action may seems strange, but the way he generates the extreme pace that he does is magnificent to watch. He has the potential to be the next big fast bowler on the scene, i think he'll go on to be better than Brett Lee tbh, will be the 2nd bowler to hit 100mph aswell, fantastic player. People say he sprays abit too much, but so did Lee at the start of his career, once Tait gets settled with his action and gets some confidence and form with Australia he will be outbowling Lee i reckon. Can't wait to see him develop.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I loved watching Paul Adams. He was awesome sight. The crowds also got mad when they saw him for first time.

Nowdays Tanvir has diffrent action.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I love watching Shaun Tait bowl, more than Lasith Malinga, his action may seems strange, but the way he generates the extreme pace that he does is magnificent to watch. He has the potential to be the next big fast bowler on the scene, i think he'll go on to be better than Brett Lee tbh, will be the 2nd bowler to hit 100mph aswell, fantastic player. People say he sprays abit too much, but so did Lee at the start of his career, once Tait gets settled with his action and gets some confidence and form with Australia he will be outbowling Lee i reckon. Can't wait to see him develop.

I don't think Tait will ever be consistent, his action simply does not warrent it.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors

Tait has high speed action that is why his bowls are recorded fast than what they actually are. I don't think he is anywhere as fast as Lee or Shoiab. Even Ntini bowls faster than him.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Akhtar's quicker but his pace could come from all the drugs he takes ¬¬ Also, he'll never get close to his 100.4mph delivery again, is injured more often than he is fit. He is a magnificently fast bowler when fit though.

Lee is quick, and probably marginally quicker than Tait, but Tait has age on his side, and will definetly hit 100mph in the next year or so i think.

Ntini- Lol. He's nowhere near as quick as Tait, Lee or Akhtar, do your research ;)

I like watching bowlers with quick actions more than i do uncomfortable actions, such as Mitchell Johnson and Sohail Tanvir. I dont like watching either of them, as their actions look uncomfortable, and dont really flow, i dont see where Johnson gets his pace from. Out and out quickies are much better to watch than bowlers with strange actions, although Malinga is great to watch, seems to have lost a yard of pace in the last year though, was devistating in New Zealand, but has dropped since then.

LBWout

School Cricketer
Manee, Malinga - how can the ball rotate backwards?

Sureshot

Executive member
Encourage without a doubt.

At one point, leggies were innovative bowlers. Infact at one point every bowler/delivery would've been innovative. If world cricket stops getting innovative bowlers then theoretically the bowling aspect will remain stale.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Agreed, definitely it should be encouraged. Not only was every delivery used currently innovative at some point they were also illegal. As long as a new kind of bowling is within the spirit of the laws then whats the problem. If you can't play it, thats your problem - learn.

Users who are viewing this thread