Limiting Piracy of Cricket Games

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Go there with a stack of cash and buy up all the illegal copies?

So.. true story.. on my first trip to Malaysia I went to a famous pirate software place called Imbi Plaza to check out if they were selling any of my software, more out of curiosity than anything else. I did find it there, legit looking box, fake hologram sticker (the same they put on the shirts), and only 7 ringgit - my production in Australia for the same goods was 15 ringgit (converted), so I tried to find out where the manufacture was because I wanted to hire them! Of course they didn't believe me and thought I was going to give them up to the police :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Memo: I need to piss you off more, there's work in it for me...

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
How can Aus be more profitable than the UK market when it's only got a third of the population?

The supermarkets and UK market in general have depressed the price of sports games, Tesco's have sold FIFA below cost, that and the strength of the Australian dollar relative to the pound. When I lived in London I was paying up to three Aus$ for a pound, now it's near half that.

England has one. Scotland even had one for the first time in 8 years this July. We have Game of Thrones seasons up here. Long winters and very occasional summers.

Which is why it is now called "Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming"... too many people saw it as a positive deal :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There's always money in the Banana Stand... as long as the Banana stand is in Australia at the moment...

Soo who's gonna be voting for the Pirate Party in the upcoming election? :P

As an aside, I can guaratnee that all of you have pirated before...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Funny how you didn't like it when people laid into you based on your stated intent yet you're perfectly willing to generalise about every single one of the members here.
Not very classy.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
At the risk of giving this oxygen - this would indicate you are in Australia?

If so, you can afford a disk, unemployed or not.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
You are not stealing from me, you are stealing from everyone who buys a legitimate copy for they are paying more because of your behaviour.

Many here on PC work extremely long and hard for their income and what you do is a "tax" on those efforts.

Everyone here has every right to treat you with the contempt that you deserve. Games are not food, you can live without them.

Last edited:

Chief

Panel of Selectors
It's as much where they sell that is important because anyone can sell at a loss :)

Australia is the most profitable, followed by England, and I thought India would be third but I now expect that New Zealand and South Africa would have more retail units than India.

All personal opinion, but from what I've seen the only place in the sub continent worth selling a game (in purely fiscal terms) is South Africa: you're lucky to break even anywhere else (although the brand-building could make it vaguely worthwhile if the markets develop in the future). SA can sustain western prices.

Given that sales of PC copies are so low as well, the only way to make that SKU properly profitable, for me, is by going Steam exclusive. Which also helps eliminate piracy which, although I don't think that actually benefits you in the slightest from a revenue perspective, certainly makes me feel a bit less angry at night. :)

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
All personal opinion, but from what I've seen the only place in the sub continent worth selling a game (in purely fiscal terms) is South Africa: you're lucky to break even anywhere else (although the brand-building could make it vaguely worthwhile if the markets develop in the future). SA can sustain western prices.

Given that sales of PC copies are so low as well, the only way to make that SKU properly profitable, for me, is by going Steam exclusive. Which also helps eliminate piracy which, although I don't think that actually benefits you in the slightest from a revenue perspective, certainly makes me feel a bit less angry at night. :)

Would agree with all of that, South Africa is stronger than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread