Looking for new bigscreen TV

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are either of these two any good?

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PHIL-26PFL5322

Nice price, but slightly dodgy response time (8ms). It got good reviews at Amazon though, including one from someone who games on it (Xbox 360).

Or this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-LE26S86

?100 more, but comes with a lot more including digital tuner and freeview. Still slightly sleepy response though (8ms). I remember not too long ago people saying that 8ms was ok for gaming. Does it make more difference on a big screen?

I want it for occasional gaming, general TV watching, DVDs and sports. I don't want to go higher than ?350, ideal would be less than ?300, if anyone has any suggestions. I don't mind dropping to 22in or 24in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Never buy something above 5ms response time if you don't want a ghosty experience, that's a major portion about the limited knowledge I have about LCD's.

Why don't you instead buy a 24in or 22in monitor and have a good speaker set power it? That would give you much better performance at a much lower price!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've not long ago bought a 19in Samsung monitor, so I'm looking for an actual TV now, it'll be used for occasional console gaming as well. I've been stuck with a tiny 4:3 14in portable for ages now (the TV is for my bedroom).

Does the response time make more difference on a larger size screen? I had a 17in monitor a while back with a response of 8ms and it was fine for gaming, hardly any ghosting at all.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah it does make a difference, you'll notice in a long run.

I still can't understand why you can't use a top class monitor and a decent set of speakers anyways. Would far outclass the audio performance you get from a TV moreover saving you money and equal or better visual performance! :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
The other problem with that is I currently have a cable that's connected to the Sky box downstairs, so I can have Sky in my room and the cable's connected to the aerial socket on my TV. You can't plug an aerial cable into a PC monitor can you?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
The other problem with that is I currently have a cable that's connected to the Sky box downstairs, so I can have Sky in my room and the cable's connected to the aerial socket on my TV. You can't plug an aerial cable into a PC monitor can you?
Well there are quite a lot of converters available, heck you could even buy a cheapo TV tuner box with it which should support that. Well it looks like the one Stu suggested is fine, although you really could go in for that setup.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

Thanks for that, but I've never heard of that make, I'm a little dubious about getting a make I've not heard of, especially if I'm going to lay out £300 on it. Also, 26in is my maximum for where it has to go, any bigger and it wouldn't fit. Furthermore, that's probably an online only price, and I'm not going to order something like a TV set online.

Maybe I should hold fire for the January sales and see what prices are doing then? I've decided to get one that's digital ready, bearing in mind the 2012 London switchover. How long do LCDs last on average? I know they don't last as long as old style TV sets, generally speaking. Also, are TVs better at producing a decent black than monitors? Many of them have contrast ratios of 4000:1 and some go as high as 10000:1! What should I be looking at as far as brightness is concerned? And are Samsung TVs affected by the 'panel lottery' their monitors were affected by?

That's the trouble with these flatscreens, there's so much you have to check out. It's not a case of ' oh, Phillips/Samsung/whoever, they're a good make, can't go wrong with them'. Now, you need to know about the contrast ratio, the brightness rating, the response time, the sodding viewing angle! Enough to do your head in! Thanks for your help so far though guys!:)

Just seen this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=LG-26LC55

Hold on a minute, that contrast ratio's a bit rubbish, isn't it? Shame, the rest of the set is great, even the response (3ms) and it's digital ready.
According to LG's own site though, that model has a contrast ratio of 5000:1 (dynamic). That's more like it!

By the way, are there any brands you'd avoid like the plague?

Last edited:

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Are either of these two any good?

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PHIL-26PFL5322

Nice price, but slightly dodgy response time (8ms). It got good reviews at Amazon though, including one from someone who games on it (Xbox 360).

Or this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-LE26S86

?100 more, but comes with a lot more including digital tuner and freeview. Still slightly sleepy response though (8ms). I remember not too long ago people saying that 8ms was ok for gaming. Does it make more difference on a big screen?

I want it for occasional gaming, general TV watching, DVDs and sports. I don't want to go higher than ?350, ideal would be less than ?300, if anyone has any suggestions. I don't mind dropping to 22in or 24in.

Thanks in advance for any help.
If you are looking for a TV with Full HD and that too specially for gaming purpose then get a Dell moniter umm probably 24" it supports resolution 1900X1200 and Full 1080p. If not for gaming then try the new LG Scarllet series or Samsung series.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It would be used mainly for DVDs/sport/general TV viewing, but it will be used for gaming as well, although not as much as on my PC. If I get a bigscreen TV in my room, my nephew's going to want to move his PS3 in and I don't have a problem with that!

Edit: The cable from the Sky box plugs into the back of my VCR, not my TV.

Just found this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-KDL26S3000

The only thing I can't find out is the response rate, otherwise it looks like a great deal. Does anyone know what the response rate of this one is?

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's just the idea of buying something so expensive without having seen it first and also the fact that, if there's a problem, returning it won't be as easy as bringing it back to the shop. As far as the monitor you linked to goes, it's too small. I need at least 22in, preferably 26in.

Could you push it to 8ms and still get little or no ghosting? I've seen many screens around with 8ms that are within my price range. I might forget about getting a TV with freeview/digital, I'm getting a DVD rec soon that has a digital tuner, so might as well save a few quid?

Edit: Just read the CNET review on response times and I have to agree. This monitor I've got now (Samsung 931cw) is supposed to have a response of 2ms, but I experience a fair bit of blurring with fast moving images. Nothing game-breaking, but I won't be getting a Samsung monitor next time.

Do you know if LCD TVs are better at producing a good black than a monitor is?

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Internet shopping is always cheaper. I see your point, why not look around stores, find one you like, then order it on-line? As for returning items. It's always easy enough to arrange. I have sent back an XBOX 360 via Play. But no, it wouldn't be as easy as taking it back to the shop. It's up to you, personally, it wouldn't bother me. As for other makes. I am a big fan of Panasonic. I went past a Sony shop which has loads of offers, so maybe that is a uk-wide sale?

I would look at on-line reviews of screens. It will give you a good insight as to whether a TV is good or not. I'm not an expert on Tellies, it might be worth going into an un-biased retailer (ie, someone who sells loads of different types of TVs). I would rather go into a more local Electronics business, rather than a chain like Curry's, etc.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Too right mate! I've gone into Curry's and similar stores and I've actually known more about the product than the person trying to 'help' me does!

Are LCD TVs better at producing a decent black than a monitor? My monitor struggles to produce a deep black, it's contrast ratio is somewhere between 1000:1 and 1600:1 (dynamic).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread