Marlon Samuels' suspension to end in May, hopes for WI recall

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Marlon Samuels is adamant he is the man to revive West Indies' embattled batting line-up when he returns from a two-year suspension for links to an Indian gambler. Samuels, who was banned by a West Indies Cricket Board disciplinary committee for discussing team information with Mukesh Kochar and later approaching him to pay a hotel bill, will be eligible to return to cricket on May 9 next year and is confident of being promptly reinstated to the regional team.

Read more - Samuels counts down to lifting of his ban | West Indies Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

I came across a Windies forum yesterday and they seemed pretty convinced that Marlon could signal a change in fortunes for the Windies team. A bit premature, I believe.

Also, the 2 yr suspension was a sham. The sentence should have been more severe, but the Windies board thought about defending a player, rather than disciplining him. What takes the cake is that Samuels has the nerve to say that "the WICB disciplinary committee were pressured into delivering a guilty verdict by both the board and the International Cricket Council's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit".

But well, the ban come to an end in May and I don't think its gonna be easy for him to comeback.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I'm guessing you're not to familiar with Marlon Samuels story? The panel that handed down the ban said there wasn't actually any prove that he gave information away. They did however agree that two years was far to harsh but they no had choice but to comply with the code. I've always thought Samuels was very hard done by, two years was far to long imo.

It will be good to see him back though, brillant cricketer on his day. I enjoy watching him play very much.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Ah so that's what happened to him. I wondered why he disappeared off the face of the earth, just assumed the Windies had enough of his inconsistency.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ah so that's what happened to him. I wondered why he disappeared off the face of the earth, just assumed the Windies had enough of his inconsistency.
He had gotten his one-day game into a pretty good state, was generally making a couple of 50s per series and when he went on with a start, he usually belted the ball. He was also looking better in Tests, seemed to be batting with a lot more confidence and desire to get the big score.

Two years was mad, especially considering the players who got into bookie trouble without getting banned at all and in a broader sense, the debacles with Akhtar and Asif. I don't think boards should be handing down bans of two years or five years; it just seems too subjective. If it's really that bad, ban them for life. If it's not worth kicking them out of cricket, then let's be a little more reasonable.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
He still has allot of cricket left in him, he will be 29 by the time the suspension ends. First he needs to show that he still has it and that he can make the Jamaican squad for the domestic season. It shouldn't be too hard since Jamaica's middle order has a few holes that need to be filled. After he does that he can focus on the West Indies national team.
Before this suspension he was becoming more consistent with the bat, had some good performances in both ODIs and Tests.

The suspension was harsh, especially since they couldn't prove that he did anything wrong really. I understand that the WICB had to make a example out of him so that in the future players would think twice before communicating with a bookie. One year would have been more than enough, 6 months would have been the appropriate punishment.

Also, the 2 yr suspension was a sham. The sentence should have been more severe, but the Windies board thought about defending a player, rather than disciplining him.

At least the WICB did something about it, there are cases of players doing worse things then Samuels, or being accused of doing worse things then Samuels and getting away with it.
Just like in many other cases nothing could be proven against Samuels but yet he got punished for it.

What takes the cake is that Samuels has the nerve to say that "the WICB disciplinary committee were pressured into delivering a guilty verdict by both the board and the International Cricket Council's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit".

You did not follow much of this when it was happening at the time did you?

P

pcfan123

Isnt he also not allowed to bowl because of his action? Will he even be considered for a recall?

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Isnt he also not allowed to bowl because of his action? Will he even be considered for a recall?

Yea before he got suspended he got called for throwing in South Africa during a test match, he was bowling his "faster ball" and a blind man could tell that he was throwing it.

I didn't even understand why he was being used when his bowling isn't anything special. He shouldn't even think about bowling and should instead focus on this batting.
I think that he has a decent chance of getting called up to the team, especially is he does well in domestic cricket after missing 2 years of cricket.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
It's going to be very good to see him back. The Windies could do with him in their middle order. The chairman of selectors has said that he has his eye on him so I'm sure he'll be back in the team soon after his ban his lifted. But 2 years was far too harsh. That's 2 years of his cricketing career gone.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I didn't even understand why he was being used when his bowling isn't anything special. He shouldn't even think about bowling and should instead focus on this batting.
I think that he has a decent chance of getting called up to the team, especially is he does well in domestic cricket after missing 2 years of cricket.

His bowling was useful, around Gayle's standard. And back then Gayle wasn't around so Samuels' filled the 5th/6th bowling spot nicely for WI.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
You could always tell that he 'put' the ball there rather than bowling. He had a super yorker thing though, kind of Afridi esque.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Of course, these days with the slow and grubby surfaces in the Caribbean it's not so enticing to play 4 quicks whether they're 5'8" or 6'8", but the West Indies selectors have picked so many teams with a batsman or two who bowls slow that I think it might be obligatory.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
So when is his ban being lifted or is he gone for good?

May the 9th is when his ban is lifted. Would love to see him back in the team, he offers a lot in the middle order.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
If WI's get a fully fit and fully available squad, they could really become a threat.
They have class batsman in Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Samuels, Morton plus some youth.
Plus a pace attack of Edwards, Taylor, Roach, Powell and Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread