Mickey Arthur Resigns

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are these guys not INTERIM appointments?

They may end up going for a white coach permanently, but I think it will only be because the white candidates are more qualified. I think if a similarly credentialled black coach were available, he'd get the job in a second.

And BTW, I don't think I'm being racist, it's just an observation. I don't think hiring a black coach for his skin colour is 'wrong', but I just think the best guy should get the job - period. I admire the SA attempts to promote equality with player quotas and such, I just don't agree with it.

They are but if they just wanted to appoint a black guy as your first post suggested then they would have appointed one straight away.

Sure if the black guy had the same credentials as the other candidate then it would go to him. But currently there isn't really anyone like that around. But then last time Arthur also came totally from left field to beat the likes of jennings,moody and chappel to the job.

stefan

International Coach
Bookies fancy kirsten,personally can't see it till after wc 2011.

Bookies fancy Kirsten
2010-01-27 17:26
Email | Print
Favourite (File)

Garrin Lambley

Cape Town - Following the shock resignation of Proteas coach Mickey Arthur, leading UK bookmakers, Sky Bet, are offering odds on his replacement.

Former Proteas opener and current Indian coach, Gary Kirsten, has been installed as the 7/4 favourite with another former SA opener, Kepler Wessels, and current Proteas psychologist, Jeremy Snape, next best at 3/1.

Former South African fast bowler Corrie van Zyl, who has been installed as the interim coach to lead the team on their next assignment in India, is 4/1 to take over the role on a permanent basis.

Odds on the next permanent South Africa coach:

Gary Kirsten 7/4
Kepler Wessels 3/1
Jeremy Snape 3/1
Corrie van Zyl 4/1
Duncan Fletcher 5/1
Graham Ford 14/1

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Cricket/245/8c4c9d5ef8384dc0b4baf286716e306a/27-01-2010-05-26/Bookies_fancy_Kirsten

King Cricket

International Coach
Kirsten? There's no realistic chance of him quitting his present job/BCCI terminating his services. The guy and the Indian players have become quite a family!

stefan

International Coach
Seems the coach is going to have a much bigger say on selection in future.

Selection panel is 'outdated'
2010-01-27 22:34
Email | Print
Craig Matthews (Gallo Images)

Altus Momberg

Cape Town ? The days of a selection panel in South African cricket are apparently over following the sacking of the selectors on Wednesday.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola announced on Wednesday that Mike Procter (convenor), Craig Matthews, Mustapha Khan and Winkie Ximaya had been axed.

Majola (caretaker convenor), Corrie van Zyl (coach) and Kepler Wessels (batting consultant) will pick the team during the forthcoming series against India.

It appears as if South African cricket bosses have decided that the concept of a selection panel is outdated and that only one national selector will in future assist the coach with the selection of the team.

The restructuring of the selection panel will be completed as soon as the Proteas have a new coach.

Matthews told Sport24 on Wednesday that the news had come as a shock.

?We had no idea that CSA wanted to get rid of us. But I have to say that nothing surprises me in South African cricket,? said the former Proteas seamer.

?Gerald informed us that the board felt that the selection process is flawed and that is why we have been axed.?

Matthews does not believe that he lost his position because his performance was not up to scratch.

?It?s not as if CSA decided that the four of us could not do the job and appointed four others. They decided that the concept of a selection committee does not work in modern cricket,? he said.

?I don?t have any problem with that. CSA are in charge of cricket in the country and must take the decisions that they believe are in the game?s best interests. They must also take responsibility for the team?s performances.?

Matthews added that he would be furious if they appointed four new selectors to pick the team after the restructuring.

Wessels confirmed on Wednesday that he would accompany the team to India.

?I have been asked to work as batting consultant and assist Corrie van Zyl (caretaker coach),? said Wessels.

He added that he would only be a selector for this tour.

?I have a long association with SuperSport and they have given me leave to help the Proteas. It will be difficult to serve as a selector on a long-term basis. CSA don?t like their selectors doing broadcasting and I am very loyal to SuperSport,? said Wessels.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Cricket/245/bdced5c029474327800045c6f477a7d6/27-01-2010-10-34/Selection_panel_is_outdated

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
Except Peter De Villiers is a natural comedian by just being his idiotic self. Now that is a political placement, good for a laugh though when he does post match interviews.

Kirsten won't move from India, I'm almost certain. The coaches that are settled will be looking to work with their teams for the 2011 WC.
Wessels seems the most likely candidate, not for CSA likely.\
Arthur for NZ? I dig it when rumours start just cause theirs a vacancy. Probably some daft bloggers trying to sell some juicy story.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Kirsten must have a contract till after the WC and there is no way the BCCI would let him go unless he starts trying to bring India down which would be unprofessional. Don't know what the bookies are basing their odds on unless SA plan on having an interim coach all the way to the WC.

Except Peter De Villiers is a natural comedian by just being his idiotic self. Now that is a political placement, good for a laugh though when he does post match interviews.

Hes such a crap up, the TV cameras love going to his box after something happens to SA. He doesn't leave any emotion within!

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Arthur's contribution to South Africa's resurrection, from being terrible chokers to being world-beaters, seems to be a bit ignored. I think this is one decision which is going to bite CSA in the backside in a few years' time.

India let Wright go and we made a joke outta ourselves at the CWC'07. And it might repeat with SA. The similarity here is that no one made sure things were settled before they got blown out of proportion. Someone should've said, "I want you blokes to come at the bloody table and sort this bloody mess out" :facepalm

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
I also think its unlikely for Kirsten to get the job...even though that would be absolutely fantastic. I suppose deep down he would wish he could - moving back home and spend more time with his family while being coach of his home side would be very enticing! Fair enough that hes getting on well in India and the Indian team are like family, but they're not his family.

If he doesnt get the job now, Im pretty sure once the WC2011 is over he will be back in SA.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
Arthur's contribution to South Africa's resurrection, from being terrible chokers to being world-beaters, seems to be a bit ignored. I think this is one decision which is going to bite CSA in the backside in a few years' time.

Were still chokers, look at the 2007 world cup and 2009 T20 world cup, we were the favourites coming in and choked when we were at crucial points.

At least he adds some humour to the game, Arthur is as dull as a brick. PDV the cricket clone would revolusionise cricket, everyone in the world would tune in to see his comments.

stefan

International Coach
Interview with the interim coach , interesting for those who might not know who he is.

Team discipline the key for Corrie van Zyl

Firdose Moonda

January 29, 2010
Text size: A | A
Corrie van Zyl, portrait
Corrie van Zyl was named interim coach after Mickey Arthur's resignation ? Getty Images
Related Links
News : South Africa selection panel sacked
Features : Another coach derailed
News : Arthur quits as South Africa coach
News : Pressure from above led to Arthur departure
News : Full coverage
Players/Officials: Mickey Arthur | Corrie van Zyl
Teams: South Africa

Once, these two men used to go on tour together as team-mates. In fact, they even shared a room. Now, one of them has replaced the other as the national cricket coach. This time, he'll get his own room, with the pressures his predecessor left behind as company.

In the early 1990s, Corrie van Zyl and Mickey Arthur both played for Free State. Arthur used to open the batting while van Zyl was an integral part of the bowling attack. The two played together for five seasons and won six trophies in that time, including four limited-overs competitions and two first-class cups. Both became cricket coaches after their playing days.

Arthur coached the relatively small province of Griqualand West, while van Zyl was the assistant to three national coaches. In 2005, roles reversed - almost. Arthur was appointed national coach while van Zyl had already left the South African set up to go back to his roots.

"After my stint as the assistant coach, I felt that I needed to look after my own team, so I went back to the Free State and coached the Eagles from the beginning of the franchise system (2004-05) until last season," van Zyl said. He won six titles while in charge and had his eye on the country's top coaching job. "I was hoping to take over from Mickey at some stage." On Tuesday this week, van Zyl got his wish.

"I would have wanted it to do it under different circumstances and would have preferred it if it was on Mickey's own terms," van Zyl said. "But this is the last time I will speak about how tough it is to take over at such short notice." Although van Zyl has been appointed in interim capacity for the tour to India, he wants to use the opportunity to stamp his coaching style on the national side.

"I'm not sure if it's going to be stranger for the players who knew me as an assistant or for me, because they are really going to see a different side of me. As the assistant, you do what the head coach wants, you follow orders. As the coach, you make the rules," said van Zyl. His biggest rule is discipline. "I believe in team culture. The team must look after discipline and if they can't then it becomes my responsibility. I will not pass the buck on that." While the South African team is an outfit that's well known for its professionalism, van Zyl has promised to intensify this trait within the team. Sarel Cilliers, who took over the coaching of the Eagles when van Zyl ended his tenure at the end of the 2008-09 season, confirmed that van Zyl's style may take the South Africans by surprise. "He is very disciplined, has a great work ethic and intense knowledge of the game. He will not compromise at all when it comes to preparation and brings a lot of structure to the team."

A calming influence is certainly necessary for South Africa, especially considering recent events. Van Zyl said he wants every member of the team to feel at ease, and he singled out Ashwell Prince as one of his main concerns. "I really want to chat to him and find out what he wants to do. They must be certain things we can juggle around but ideally I think he should bat where he would like to be." Van Zyl told Cricinfo he hadn't had the time to think about any other strategies ahead of the India tour, but would be using the next few days to focus on that.

According to Cilliers, van Zyl's plans are likely to involve every member of the team. "He will be good for the experienced players, because he will give them the freedom to do their thing and he will also play a strong mentoring role for the younger guys." Van Zyl is known for his ability to work with junior players. Prior to his appointment as interim coach of the national side, he was in charge of the High Performance Program and had the responsibility of identifying and training potential international players. "I applied for the job because I thought it would be a great challenge and Mickey and I wanted somebody to look after the younger players. I was really enjoying it there and had in fact just finished doing my strategy on Monday morning and sent it to Cricket South Africa and they were happy with it and told me to start working on it. Obviously I won't be able to do that immediately.

"I would like to see those plans come to fruition at the HPC and I don't want it to die a slow death," van Zyl said. His passion for player development suggests he may like to return to the HPC, but van Zyl will not rule out accepting the job of South African coach permanently. "Any coach that is worth his salt would want to coach at national level. I would be foolish to turn it down."

Team discipline the key for Corrie van Zyl | South Africa Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
surprised Donald has only been mentioned as a bowling coach, he's done very good work at warwickshire. Maybe ready to step up a level.

Kirsten is a definite no. Not for any rubbish reason like he gets on well with the indian team, he's under contract until 2011 and the massive pay cheque the BCCI will be paying him is the incentive. He'll stick it out until then or he's fired and gets the pay off. you don't set up in india and take on an enterprise as demanding as coaching their cricket team lightly. He and his family will have committed to it knowing it will set them up for life.

stefan

International Coach
surprised Donald has only been mentioned as a bowling coach, he's done very good work at warwickshire. Maybe ready to step up a level.

Kirsten is a definite no. Not for any rubbish reason like he gets on well with the indian team, he's under contract until 2011 and the massive pay cheque the BCCI will be paying him is the incentive. He'll stick it out until then or he's fired and gets the pay off. you don't set up in india and take on an enterprise as demanding as coaching their cricket team lightly. He and his family will have committed to it knowing it will set them up for life.

Has Donald been the main coach at warwickshire?? As far as I know he has only had bowling/assistant coaching roles. If we are looking at donald we may as well look at rhodes and pollock. Don't think either of the three have shown that they are great coaches.

P

pcfan123

I really hope its not some no-name black guy for the sake of appointing a black guy. Can't we all agree that we are at a point where no one really cares about the color of your skin, if a black guy performs well then he gets picked (Ntini, Symonds etc) , if a white guy performs well then he get picked (Nash). Its quite simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread