Modern Warfare 2

pingusten

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
PC USERS BEWARE

IW.net - already a bad thing, just got worse. The port connection system it uses is being exploited by people sending viruses directly through the game to your computer. The virus in question then mutates and sends it to everyone you host.

It's a particularly nasty trojan called TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen.

I suggest anyone playing makes sure they have up to date virus software. There's not really much else you can do, the system is so flawed its easy for this thing to distribute.

There are even some people telling people to stop playing until IW or Activision comment on this.

From the official forums;

Think about this:

* Hacker runs remote code on your PC through security hole in the MW2 Listen server net code.
* Hacker gets your steam account info and password
* Hacker hijacks your steam account, runs cheats using it, you get perma banned from Steam

I think people would be wise to stop playing MW2 at least until an official statement has been made to the reality of the situation, after all this could still just be scare mongering.

Never heard of anything like this. Ridiculous.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
PC USERS BEWARE

IW.net - already a bad thing, just got worse. The port connection system it uses is being exploited by people sending viruses directly through the game to your computer. The virus in question then mutates and sends it to everyone you host.

It's a particularly nasty trojan called TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen.

I suggest anyone playing makes sure they have up to date virus software. There's not really much else you can do, the system is so flawed its easy for this thing to distribute.

There are even some people telling people to stop playing until IW or Activision comment on this.

From the official forums;

Never heard of anything like this. Ridiculous.

Stuff that. I'm not buying it then. Instead I'm gonna' pick of Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising today.

Screw Infinity Ward tbh.

cnbd_novice

International Coach
^For PC? No dedicated servers for that either - contrary to what its cover might say. And bug-infested according to the same kind of shitstorm their forum underwent a while back.

As for IWNet trojan, Valve's rep had this to say on their forum:
jmccaskey said:
This is total fear mongering and is unrelated to having dedicated servers or not. Anytime you have a network enabled application accepting data from a remote host (dedicated server or not) you have a risk that the application code has bugs in it allowing buffer overruns that hackers may exploit. These are the same type of vulnerabilities often found and patched in your operating system.

However, there is no evidence of any bugs or vulnerabilities of this kind with MW2 or IWNet at this time. If any exploits do come up I'm sure you can expect quick patching from Infinity Ward. We don't need to continue fear mongering around the possibility of software bugs here.
Source: Trojans Being Transmitted Over IWNET - Page 6 - Steam Users' Forums

Also for PC users, Destructoid - Modern Warfare 2 gets dedicated servers via hack.

And that kid with rabies is just sad.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Now looking for Battle Field Bad Company 2 Open Beta For Pc,It is Our Only Hope

Never liked Battlefield games :facepalm the have always screwed despite of having a strong aspects :doh

From the looks of Max Payne, it seems it will be another epic fail.

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
Never liked Battlefield games :facepalm the have always screwed despite of having a strong aspects :doh

From the looks of Max Payne, it seems it will be another epic fail.

no:noway,BFBC 2 Is great,32 Players Multiplayer In dedicated server FTW:banana2:banana2
EDIT:-With a Destructive Environment and Latest Weapons

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
^For PC? No dedicated servers for that either - contrary to what its cover might say. And bug-infested according to the same kind of shitstorm their forum underwent a while back.

As for IWNet trojan, Valve's rep had this to say on their forum:

Source: Trojans Being Transmitted Over IWNET - Page 6 - Steam Users' Forums

Also for PC users, Destructoid - Modern Warfare 2 gets dedicated servers via hack.

And that kid with rabies is just sad.

Nah. Got it for the 360 instead. Surprisingly, found this posted on a forum as well.

Someone took a hex editor to the .exe for MW2 and there are about 100 references to the Xbox/LIVE in there. ****ing sad.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My copy arrived today. Played on it for a few hours, mostly online, not really bothered with completing the storyline in one big go. Enjoying it more than I thought, considering I wasn't a big fan of the first MW. Most of the maps are fantastic, and the only map I've played on so far that I don't like is 'Derail'. Well worth ?32!

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
My copy arrived today. Played on it for a few hours, mostly online, not really bothered with completing the storyline in one big go. Enjoying it more than I thought, considering I wasn't a big fan of the first MW. Most of the maps are fantastic, and the only map I've played on so far that I don't like is 'Derail'. Well worth ?32!

No one likes Derail. That, and Afghan are the worst maps.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't mind Afghan. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it kills your eyes after a while of looking at nothing but desert. Next time we're both on we'll have a good bash on 'Team Deathmatch', hopefully on the same side. Otherwise I'll have to toast your ass ;)

Users who are viewing this thread